The Student Room Group

Disabled Students Society

Welcome to the Disabled Student Society.

A few weeks back, I posted a thread in Ask A Moderator seeing if it would be possible to get a sub-forum / forum run like the ask a PS helper started so Disabled Students could seek guidance and support. It was decided it required a lot of effort, and server space, and it may be disproportionate to the amount of use it would receive.

So, I made a FAQ and posted it in the University thread. It’s been viewed quite a lot, so I have decided it’s time for the next step. My hope is that eventually we will demonstrate a need for our own sub-forum (which if the mods are reading this I’m happy to mini-mod to alleviate the workload).

The idea of this thread is simple. It aims to give you a supportive environment where you can ask questions, discuss fears and hopes and yes on the days where you’re having a bad day it will give you somewhere to rant where other people can understand what you’re experiencing.

Its aim is to be supportive, informative, fun and positive. Use it and we may be able to argue in favour of our own sub-forum which will make the concept work better.

Any questions you wish to ask anonymously can PMd to me and I will post them in the thread.

To join goto http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/socs.php and scroll down til you see the society. Then click join.

~ Ethereal ~

NOTE: If you find this thread and want to chat about disabilities, please use the new thread, rather than bumping this old one. Thanks.:smile:
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think this a really great idea. I volunteer in a youth center for teens with learning other mental disabilities, so I hope this isn't strictly for physically disabled students. aww Im giving you some rep...it's amazing how society 'forgets' to include these people sometimes :smile:
Reply 2
No, it's for all disabilities. :smile:

Once I've found an avatar so we can get it on the socs list I'll make it an official soc ... but don't think it's poss to set one up without a pic.
Reply 3
I think we need some representation for people with an ASD.
Reply 4
All are welcome. The more active the soc is, the more chance we have of pushing for a sub-forum and the bettter support / info network we can become.
Reply 5
well I'm willing to represent those on the Autistic Spectrum. I have Asperger's so I'm well aware of the problems people with these disorders face every day.
Reply 6
I don't have a visible disability but i'd like to join if possible.:smile:
Reply 7
It's been set up as a soc now, so join away and start making friends etc :smile:
That is a fantastic idea Ethereal :smile:
Reply 9
Hiya.. I'm another Aspie! So that's two for ASD. Just to start a topic, does anybody else find that they're good at a subject but can't get good grades at it because they can't break down the exam questions? I find some exam questions really hard to answer because I see too many possibilities of what they could be asking.. and get really confused. Among other reasons...
anway.. that's a start :biggrin:
Reply 10
I think that's an issue of the exams themselves. Post GCSE, examiners have an annoying habit of setting open ended questions.
Ethereal
I think that's an issue of the exams themselves. Post GCSE, examiners have an annoying habit of setting open ended questions.

Precisely, yet they want you to manage to find the exact correct answer according to ridiculous marking schemes. Its no reflection of a person's real understanding. My lecturer thinks I'm good at my subject, and I get good marks in class and homework and mocks. Its just so annoying when university places are hinged on this!
Reply 12
Craghyrax
Precisely, yet they want you to manage to find the exact correct answer according to ridiculous marking schemes. Its no reflection of a person's real understanding. My lecturer thinks I'm good at my subject, and I get good marks in class and homework and mocks. Its just so annoying when university places are hinged on this!

I had exactly the same problem as you with interpreting exam questions. I'm good at my subject but just couldn't do well in the exams. If it's still a problem for you when you go to University, I would speak to someone and make sure you get things put in place.
I'm confidant that Uni will be ok, because they're far more individualistic in how they teach and assess. You can get them to assess you differently if need be. But marking schemes of national exam boards are another thing entirely sadly. Thing is, getting TO uni is threatened by this. I need AAC to go to Durham, and I have ABE. The B can be pushed up with hard work, but the E is really stupid because I'm actually a C at the very least. :banghead: Oh well...
Reply 14
Cra, I wouldn't be so sure you can avoid exams at uni. Unis have to give you extra time, but they can still insist you sit exams.
Reply 15
Craghyrax
I'm confidant that Uni will be ok, because they're far more individualistic in how they teach and assess. You can get them to assess you differently if need be. But marking schemes of national exam boards are another thing entirely sadly. Thing is, getting TO uni is threatened by this. I need AAC to go to Durham, and I have ABE. The B can be pushed up with hard work, but the E is really stupid because I'm actually a C at the very least. :banghead: Oh well...

Do you think you can appeal? Maybe write the University a letter explaining the situation. That might help.
Reply 16
Ethereal
Cra, I wouldn't be so sure you can avoid exams at uni. Unis have to give you extra time, but they can still insist you sit exams.

In Britain yes they do that, because in Britain they have no flexibility. Here in Canada they will give you some other forms of assessment, that are more representative of your abilities.
Ethereal

Don't worry. That's not what I meant. I'll write to the uni admissions guys, but I'm not expecting much. Just working my hardest, and trying to learn exam technique.
Reply 18
Cra, as soon as you get to uni go to see disability services. Take evidence of your diagnosis and ask for a needs assessment. Also, ask them for study support sessions.

PM me if you have any questions.
Will do, thanks!

Latest