The Student Room Group

The Rugby Union Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 460
If England don't retain the Ashes then we have nothing to take form this sporting year. Nothing at all.

How sad
Reply 461
I dunno - if you're classing it in terms of sporting years we still have the six nations...
a fire in the sky
I dunno - if you're classing it in terms of sporting years we still have the six nations...

I guess he means anything that involves the year '2006' in its title. So Winter Olympics 2006, Six Nations 2006, Football World Cup 2006, Summer Test Series 2006, Autumn (Rugby) Tests 2006, Ashes Series 2006/2007.

So therefore the Six Nations next year would be '2007'...
Reply 463
Well...didn't we win a test series at some point?

Also, Isn't sporting year the same as the school year?
a fire in the sky
Well...didn't we win a test series at some point?

Also, Isn't sporting year the same as the school year?

Depends what your sport is, I guess. Hardly any Cricket in the Sporting year, for example. I'd say a sporting year (at least in international terms) is the same as a calendar year, roughly, with some things overlapping.
Reply 465
2006 has been a pretty shoddy year for English sport, and for my own sporting progress. My shoulder dislocation in September was the first ever proper injury I’ve had. I never realised how much it sucks to be injured, especially when you hear rugby training's on and you remember you can’t go :frown:.

Does anyone else think that just picking a stable XV for England Rugby and sticking with it until and through the world cup is the best idea? It seems to me Andy Robinson is constantly playing different players who just happen to be in form at a given time. This is fine for club teams, but not an international side nearing a world cup, were a solid team unit is essential. Back in 2002, England had already established its XV and that barely changed until after the 2003 World Cup. A starting group of players and immediate subs just needs to be fixed and stuck with now - hearing names of players I’ve never heard of before so close to a major competition is worrying. I reckon its worth just sticking with some players who are experiencing a dip in form and battle through it so it benefits the team gelling as a whole.
Reply 466
I think the Kingsley Jones article on the BBC today sums it up very well.
Reply 467
Consie
2006 has been a pretty shoddy year for English sport, and for my own sporting progress. My shoulder dislocation in September was the first ever proper injury I’ve had. I never realised how much it sucks to be injured, especially when you hear rugby training's on and you remember you can’t go :frown:.

Does anyone else think that just picking a stable XV for England Rugby and sticking with it until and through the world cup is the best idea? It seems to me Andy Robinson is constantly playing different players who just happen to be in form at a given time. This is fine for club teams, but not an international side nearing a world cup, were a solid team unit is essential. Back in 2002, England had already established its XV and that barely changed until after the 2003 World Cup. A starting group of players and immediate subs just needs to be fixed and stuck with now - hearing names of players I’ve never heard of before so close to a major competition is worrying. I reckon its worth just sticking with some players who are experiencing a dip in form and battle through it so it benefits the team gelling as a whole.

OMG I couldn't agree more. The coach can only do so much and any team has to be a cohesive unit capable of telepathy. Some players that i guess spend alot of time together in their clubs may know each other well enough to read each other's play, but a team made up of individuals and little units of club buddies wont get anywhere. Club lovers will hate me for saying this, but i think they need more time together to just gel as a group. In my eyes, blood is thicker than water; country issues should come first, no matter how much i love my Quins.
Reply 468
well i see where your comin from with keeping a regular team. however i dont think this team will win anythin even if they were together for longer, we need some more play makers and leader in the squad at the moment we jus dont have it, to be honest a fit jonny W would make all the difference i feel
Reply 469
lol,we are a bit lacking, aren't we? :p:
Reply 470
Wilkinson is not a playmaker - he is a dependable kicking machine who can run through a few plans - Hodgson is an amazingly instinctive running rugby player, without the so well polished kicking game - Clearly being playmakers doesn't work.
Reply 471
Balshaw out, Cohen in. Lewsey at 15 - Our best back three in my opinion - should be worth watching.
Reply 472
a fire in the sky
Balshaw out, Cohen in. Lewsey at 15 - Our best back three in my opinion - should be worth watching.

I would if I could find a bloody pub that showed it
Reply 473
hahaha - seriously? get somewhere to watch it!

I might have to go highlights myself - varsity geological footy match to be observed in the afternoon :frown:
Reply 474
Seriously none of the pubs within walking distance are showing it. The bastards!!
Reply 475
then sign up for sky...quick!
Reply 476
Can't afford it.
Reply 477
me either...cant even afford a telly...

I'm sure you can find something somewhere to do it...Personally I think the side is pretty good - the back 7 are englands first choice (although not too sure on scrum half - I'd personally pick gomarsall, but would have for a good few years now).

The front 5 I'm not so sure of, but switch moody for worsley and the flankers would be the best we have available (prefer corry at 8 too).
a fire in the sky
The front 5 I'm not so sure of, but switch moody for worsley and the flankers would be the best we have available (prefer corry at 8 too).

What about Dayglo?
Reply 479
Dayglo=god, but I haven't seen him playing since his injury, so I cant really comment - I'd like to see him involved anyway - probably in place of corry since Moody has been playing very well on the floor and sanderson equally in the open, but Corry has been a little quiet...

Quick Reply

Latest