The Student Room Group

British equivalent of the Ivy League

Rather than the Russell Group or the Sutton Trust 13, I personally believe that the Golden Triangle feels more like the Ivy League.

Just as the Ivy League does not denote all the best unis in the states, Golden Triangle does not represent all the best unis in the uk. I personally regard Golden Triangle similar to the Ivy League in terms of several different aspects.

The fact that both of them are focused on distinct and specific regions also make the Golden Triangle similar to the Ivy League. For that reason, Golden Trinalge does not include Warwick, Durham, Bristol, Nottingham and York. And the Ivy League does not include Stanford, Duke, MIT, Caltech, Berkeley, Chicago, UCLA, Texas at Austin, etc, despite their excellence and prestige.

Golden Triangle = orginally best research universities in the uk. nowadays, it is more known globally as the most prestigious universities in the UK within London and near London. (around London)

Ivy League = originally a sports league among unis in the north eastern part of the states. nowadays, it denotes social elitism and the most prestigious universities in the north eastern part of the states, in the eyes of the public.

Plus, they are similar considering the number of unis within each group. Well, the Ivy League has more unis, but that's because the US is much bigger than the UK and thus has more prestigious unis. Some people could argue that 6 members is still too much for a British group, but Britain has longer history of excellent higher education than the US does.

Ivy League: 8 members
Harvard
Princeton
Yale
Cornell
Columbia
Brown
Dartmouth
Pennsylvania

Golden Triangle: 6 members
Oxford
Cambridge
University College London
King's College London
Imperial College London
London School of Economics.

Furthermore, both groups have a few members who are not as much recognized as the others in the group. For the Ivy League ones, those not as recognized are Dartmouth and Brown. For the Golden Triangle, one member who is not as recognized by the general public is King's College London. (no wonder why king's ranks similarly to brown on almost all world rankings)

Russell group can't be anywhere close to the Ivy League, because it has too many universities within it, the level of prestige among its members vary too much and the members are located everywhere in Britain. (and not just 'around London' or 'in Scotland', etc)

The Sutton Trust 13 isn't like the Ivy League as well, with the reasons being similar to the ones I gave for the Russell group. It's closer than the Russell group though, since the level of academic excellence and prestige among its members varies less, compared to the Russell group. However, the fact that it is also meant to be a set of the best universities in the UK that provides more oppurtunities for the underprivileged students makes it very different from the Ivy League, which is known for being more accessible to upper classes and 'preppies'. (hence, a symbol of social elitism.)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
jy9626
Rather than the Russell Group or the Sutton Trust, I personally believe that the Golden Triangle feels more like the Ivy League.

Just as the Ivy League does not denote all the best unis in the states, Golden Triangle does not represent all the best unis in the uk. I personally regard Golden Triangle similar to the Ivy League in terms of prestige.

The fact that both of them are focused on distinct regions also make the Golden Triangle similar to the Ivy League.

Golden Triangle = orginally best research universities in the uk. nowadays, it is more known globally as the best universities in the UK within London and near London. (around London)

Ivy League = originally a sports league among unis in the north eastern part of the states. nowadays, it denotes the academically-best unis in the north eastern part of the states.

For that reason, Golden Trinalge does not include Warwick, Durham, Bristol, Nottingham and York and the Ivy League does not include Stanford, Duke, MIT, Caltech and Berkeley.

Plus, they are similar considering the number of unis within each group. Well, the Ivy League has more unis, but that's because the US is much bigger than the UK and thus has more prestigious unis. Some people could argue that 6 members is too much for the British group, but Britain has longer history of excellent higher education than the US does.

Ivy League: 8 members
Harvard
Princeton
Yale
Cornel
lColumbia
Brown
Dartmouth
Pennsylvania

Golden Triangle: 6 members
Oxford
Cambridge
University College London
King's College London
Imperial College London
London School of Economics.

Furthermore, both groups have a few members who are not as much recognized as the others in the group. For the Ivy League ones, those not as recognized are Dartmouth, Brown and Pennsylvania.For the Golden Triangle, one member who is not as recognized by the general public is King's College London. (no wonder why king's ranks similarly to brown on almost all world rankings)

All of the Ivies are recognized, some argue that Brown and Columbia are lower Ivies, bu UPENN Wharton = the Buisness School In America.
Reply 2
The Ivy League is an athletic league, it doesn't denote anything about quality. Its also 7 of the 8 oldest Universities in the USA. Going by that logic, we'd have Oxford, Cambridge, St Andrews, Glasgow, Aberdeen and Edinburgh.

World rankings are irrelevant and flawed. See other threads.

Penn is extremely well known, unless you happen to never have heard of Benjamin Franklin. Do more research before starting threads.
Reply 3
0404343m

Penn is extremely well known, unless you happen to never have heard of Benjamin Franklin. Do more research before starting threads.

UPenn is well-known. yes. but it is not as well-known as HYP, Columbia and cornell.

0404343m

The Ivy League is an athletic league, it doesn't denote anything about quality. Its also 7 of the 8 oldest Universities in the USA. Going by that logic, we'd have Oxford, Cambridge, St Andrews, Glasgow, Aberdeen and Edinburgh.

I've clearly stated that the ivy league originally meant a sports league among the american unis in the north east, but that nowadays it denotes social elitism and generally, a group of academically excellent and recognized unis in the north east.
Reply 4
jy9626
UPenn is well-known. yes. but it is not as well-known as HYP, Columbia and cornell.

Look, I live in the USA. All of the Ivies are well known. Brown is known for not really having GPA, and Columbia for accepting kids with 1900s on the SATs. UPenn is know. Hello, Benjamin Franklin! It is also, by far one of the best Unis in the city of Philadelphia.
Reply 5
jy9626

Why, because you've heard of the others? I'd love to see this table about well known Universities, people keep quoting it all the time...
Reply 6
nk9230
Im in America, and ALL of the Ivies are known.

I wasn't saying which one is not known.
I was saying that some of them are lesser known publically.
I mean, is dartmouth as recognized as harvard? no
Reply 7
Take Kings out.
Reply 8
jy9626
Golden Triangle = orginally best research universities in the uk. nowadays, it is more known globally as the best universities in the UK within London and near London. (around London)

Ivy League = originally a sports league among unis in the north eastern part of the states. nowadays, it denotes the academically-best unis in the north eastern part of the states.

Where did you get any of that from?
Reply 9
jy9626
I wasn't saying which one is not known.
I was saying that some of them are lesser known publically.
I mean, is dartmouth as recognized as harvard? no

Is Neptune as well known as Mars?
Reply 10
0404343m
Where did you get any of that from?

wikipedia. where else would i get all that sort of trivial knowledge?
Reply 11
0404343m
Is Neptune as well known as Mars?

Did you even read my post thoroughly?
I was constantly comparing how the Golden Triangle feels more like the ivy league, and thus possibly, the british equivalent of the ivy league.
Reply 12
There is no real 'equivalent' over here.
Reply 13
NW8_SW1_EC3
Take Kings out.

It just is there. Peruse my post.
Reply 14
Ollie87
There is no real 'equivalent' over here.

Read and grasp the main purpose of my post and my arguments.
Reply 15
nk9230
Look, I live in the USA. All of the Ivies are well known. Brown is known for not really having GPA, and Columbia for accepting kids with 1900s on the SATs. UPenn is know. Hello, Benjamin Franklin! It is also, by far one of the best Unis in the city of Philadelphia.

What was my argument? Read.
This a pretty interesting theory actually, but I feel that the term Golden Triangle still isn't (and will never be) as widely used as Ivy League.

Ivy League = Oxbridge (for the time being)
Reply 17
jy9626
Did you even read my post thoroughly?
I was constantly comparing how the Golden Triangle feels more like the ivy league, and thus possibly, the british equivalent of the ivy league.

Yes, and it was nonsense. You said the Ivy League now denotes the best Universities in the North East, it doesn't. You said the Golden Triangle was originally the best research Universities in the UK, it wasn't. You said they 'feel' more like the Ivy League, and have some index about how well known certain Universities are. I have no idea where to start on those ones.
Reply 18
NW8_SW1_EC3
Take Kings out.

but Kings is apart of the Golden Triangle which he is talking about, thus why would he take it out?

i don't think there is an equivalent, their quite different.
Reply 19
jy9626
What was my argument?

I wish I knew.

Latest

Trending

Trending