The Student Room Group

TSR Veggie Society

Scroll to see replies

I've been a vegetarian since Setember 2002 (pat on the back)

I'm not so sure that I am a proper vegetarian though, as when I studied GCSE food tech my eating habits weren't in the textbook!

Anyhow I eat everything except meat (including chicken) BUT shamefully I eat fish. So what sort of veggie am I?

Just to add I don't particularly like vegetables thoughh I love potatoe - don't know if dat counts!
Falguni
Does anyone get annoyed by the fact that most sweets are not suitable for vegetarians?

I wonder if anyone actually knows that one E number - which is for Cochineal - red colouring - is made from crushed beetles!?!

Ahh because of Gelatine I can't eat cola bottles although I have done mistakenly in the past. I remember buying a bag full and then remembering on the way home - my neighbour was pleased with getting a free bagful though.

Im lacto veggie...no meat, fish or eggs. Been so whole life i think.

Cochineal is E120
Reply 62
Bubble Fairy
I've been a vegetarian since Setember 2002 (pat on the back)

I'm not so sure that I am a proper vegetarian though, as when I studied GCSE food tech my eating habits weren't in the textbook!

Anyhow I eat everything except meat (including chicken) BUT shamefully I eat fish. So what sort of veggie am I?

Just to add I don't particularly like vegetables thoughh I love potatoe - don't know if dat counts!

you're a pestarcarian i think
Reply 63
Thanks for letting me join !!!
Reply 64
Goddess -are you living in Sri Lanka?

I went on holiday there last summer. A nice place - I stayed in Bentota.
unknown1557
Im lacto veggie...no meat, fish or eggs. Been so whole life i think.

Cochineal is E120

And gelatine is E441 and Edible Bone Phosphate is E542.....I always watch out for those. x
Reply 66
Falguni
Goddess -are you living in Sri Lanka?

I went on holiday there last summer. A nice place - I stayed in Bentota.

Yes, I live in Sri Lanka. Bentota is a lovely place but I didn't get to go there after the Tsunami.
You're either a veggie or you're not. No semi-veggies.
Reply 68
I drink milk, eat eggs etc but don't eat fish or meat. I don't know what that makes me except vegetarian (lacto-ovo etc means nothing to me). Can you put me in the right group, please? :smile: Thanks
Reply 69
esd1323
I drink milk, eat eggs etc but don't eat fish or meat. I don't know what that makes me except vegetarian (lacto-ovo etc means nothing to me). Can you put me in the right group, please? :smile: Thanks

I think that's lacto-ovo - like me :smile:
Reply 70
May I please have a veggie soc icon?
Lol who repped me for that? hehe :p:
Reply 72
To get the icon go to User CP, Group memberships, and request to join there :smile:
Reply 73
can I join standard veggie.
Eat eggs but only freerange and only organic milk, and yog.
If anyone knows of any nice soya yogs let me know. I'm trying to be vegan. Have soya in everything except for tea (it curdles it gross), but don't like those yofu yogs and don't know whether there are any nice soya ones.
My new thing is only eating vegan chocolate.

Whats the standard vegan position on honey btw. About half my vegan friends eat it.
Reply 74
Alpro soya yoghurts are VERY nice indeed and in many different flavours. Try different places, around here you can get them from one tesco but not another, but can get them in sainsburys and waitrose (i.e. all but one of the major supermarkets near me stock it). Im not vegan, and often have non-vegan yoghurts, but the alpro yoghurts are fantastic; better than any normal yoghurt ive ever had.

As for Honey... ive seen discussion on this elsewhere; and there doesn't seem to be a concensus. Some do, some don't... although probably the majority (from what ive heard generally) are fine with honey. At least in my opinion; I don't see anything particularly wrong with bee hives; its not exactly factory farming.
Reply 75
endeavour
Lol who repped me for that? hehe :p:

r u a veggie? and do you want to join?

I agree with you about semi-veggies - but at least its a step in the veggie direction...
I think I'm more of a semi-veggie than a non-veggie honary member. I don't eat beef. The only reason I'm not fully veggie is because it's too hard to be in my home. As soon as I move out in a few months I'm going fully veg though :smile:
Reply 77
I hate alpro soya.
Reply 78
Soya is great in my opinion but does anyone find that cows milk has a grassy taste?? :eek:
Reply 79
I love soy but not alpro soya stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest