The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Go for cheap companies like Admiral, Elephant and Diamond (if you're a lady)
I was quoted £900 from Admiral, £903 from Elephant and £910 from Diamond for a 1.2 08 reg Fiat 500 Pop in a middle-higher risk area (RH8). This was based on a 17 year old who had just passed their test, if u add Plus Pass and three experienced drivers with no accidents (my nan who's a retired teacher, my auntie who is a piano teacher and my dad who runs a B&B), u save loads of money. Before I was being quoted ridiculous prices (£17,000 !!!!)....
Debbie_xx
Go for cheap companies like Admiral, Elephant and Diamond (if you're a lady)
I was quoted £900 from Admiral, £903 from Elephant and £910 from Diamond for a 1.2 08 reg Fiat 500 Pop in a middle-higher risk area (RH8). This was based on a 17 year old who had just passed their test, if u add Plus Pass and three experienced drivers with no accidents (my nan who's a retired teacher, my auntie who is a piano teacher and my dad who runs a B&B), u save loads of money. Before I was being quoted ridiculous prices (£17,000 !!!!)....

Is it just me or have these three (Admiral, Elephant & Diamond) not been returning results on screen scraper sites for others? The only reason I noticed was they were giving my 3 cheapest quotes, and then just didn't give results.
Reply 162
Any tips for getting quick quotes, it feels like a lifetime filling in forms and forms and forms asking about everything from where you park the car to what you favourite type of cheesecake is????!?
I'm already putting in fake phone numbers due to the habit that company have of calling you up...
Doogal
Any tips for getting quick quotes, it feels like a lifetime filling in forms and forms and forms asking about everything from where you park the car to what you favourite type of cheesecake is????!?
I'm already putting in fake phone numbers due to the habit that company have of calling you up...

I used moneysupermarket, which I found quite easy to use, as I don't have a car yet it was easy to switch back to enter different car details to get average quotes without having to enter all the details again. Plus when I then went on to Admiral website, it had saved the quote from money supermarket. Heh I use my old mobile number, don't want any calls :p:
Reply 164
I passed my driving last week, and I got a Yaris 1.0 :biggrin: I cant drive it as the insurance is bleemin expensive! for me its £3.8k+

I need to get it cheaper :frown: can anyone help me out please ?!
Teras
I passed my driving last week, and I got a Yaris 1.0 :biggrin: I cant drive it as the insurance is bleemin expensive! for me its £3.8k+

I've found Admiral to be good for me, and also Adrian Flux give a 40% discount if you've done the Pass plus test!
If your a girl apparently diamond are good :smile:
Teras

Have you tried moneysupermarket? It came out a few hundred less for me. And as crazy_smurf said, Diamond is good, it came out the cheapest for me (only by a few quid cheaper than Admiral though).
Reply 167
moneysupermarket no use still getting high quotes :frown: and im male so cant use diamond
Teras
moneysupermarket no use still getting high quotes :frown: and im male so cant use diamond

Have you tried changing your job? That's if you have one. I work in retail, but my title is in-store technical support, so when I put computer technician rather than sales assistant I save £200.

Otherwise, I guess it is just the car and personal details that make it so high unfortunately.
Reply 169
I can't see it get quotes lower than £3000, the lowest i could get is £3,177 for a 2002 Renault Clio 1.21?!!?!?
Reply 170
i worked in insurance for 3 years before going to uni - its mad what they charge young drivers!
adding older clean drivers on can save a lot of money. the smaller the engine the better but also be careful of sporty models even if they dont say sport in the name they may be classed like it by insurance co's.
lower annual milegae can reduce it.
play around with what occupation you put in
This year is the worst to start your first insurance as the companies are trying to claw back money they lost in the recession and arent wanting to take on risky inexperienced drivers. even middle aged drivers with years of clean driving are seeing their premiums go up (im back in the insurance world over the summer!)

i would always advise NOT putting it in your parents name as although you may pay more for your first year you will build your own bonus up and the price comes down quickly.
im 22 and have recently paid under £300 for a 1 litre corsa. (i do have 4 yrs no claims bonus though)
Reply 171
Han265
i worked in insurance for 3 years before going to uni - its mad what they charge young drivers!
adding older clean drivers on can save a lot of money. the smaller the engine the better but also be careful of sporty models even if they dont say sport in the name they may be classed like it by insurance co's.
lower annual milegae can reduce it.
play around with what occupation you put in
This year is the worst to start your first insurance as the companies are trying to claw back money they lost in the recession and arent wanting to take on risky inexperienced drivers. even middle aged drivers with years of clean driving are seeing their premiums go up (im back in the insurance world over the summer!)

i would always advise NOT putting it in your parents name as although you may pay more for your first year you will build your own bonus up and the price comes down quickly.
im 22 and have recently paid under £300 for a 1 litre corsa. (i do have 4 yrs no claims bonus though)

So does occupation actually make a difference?
Reply 172
Doogal
So does occupation actually make a difference?

yeh it does - im not saying to lie but for example my bf is a pilot in the RAF but if he puts his occupation as a commissioned officer (which he is) its much cheaper

many jobs can have quite a few different titles so its just working out which is cheapest.
Reply 173
I just renewed my car insurance. I moved from Churchill to Admiral because Churchill decided to increase my insurance after being with them for a year. I used moneysupermarket.com and found elephant to be the cheapest in my name for £1000 (1999 Corsa 1.0 Litre), I'm an 18 year old male so that was quite good for me.
Later in the day I got a call from Admiral (who seem to own Elephant) offering me that quote. I actually managed to reduce it to £900 by adding 2 experienced female drivers (Tried my dad but got no reduction so obviously the "system" likes females) and then finally to £750 by doing a multi car quote as my mum had to renew her car insurance anyway. It really is worth playing around and giving them a ring as I found that comprehensive cover cost the exact same as third party fire and theft for me! I also reduced my voluntary excess from £300 to £150 with only a £6 premium increase (to reduce it to £100 it would have increased it by £100!) Basically, its worth playing around with the little details as they can literally save you hundreds!
Thanks for the tips guys, I passed my test on Thursday so I've been looking at quotes...cheapest so far is from Egg with £1370 for a Corsa which I think is pretty good! Most places seem to be charging double that! However, when I put the same details into Egg later it came up with a higher quote of about £1650...any ideas why :s-smilie:? Luckily got an e-mail with it on!
purple-girl
Thanks for the tips guys, I passed my test on Thursday so I've been looking at quotes...cheapest so far is from Egg with £1370 for a Corsa which I think is pretty good! Most places seem to be charging double that! However, when I put the same details into Egg later it came up with a higher quote of about £1650...any ideas why :s-smilie:? Luckily got an e-mail with it on!

umm was one comp and one third party? :s-smilie:
just wondering is quinn direct a company to avoid? they always seem cheap but did some research and thet seem to be in money problems and issues with the irish government!
also is anybody is with "marmalade insurance?" they are aimed for young drivers and just wondered if they are any good
Reply 178
alwaysanigel247
just wondering is quinn direct a company to avoid? they always seem cheap but did some research and thet seem to be in money problems and issues with the irish government!

They seem to always be the cheapest if you have provisional license but as soon as you pass your test the price goes up massively! So I wouldnt bother with them if I were you.
roe5745
They seem to always be the cheapest if you have provisional license but as soon as you pass your test the price goes up massively! So I wouldnt bother with them if I were you.

ahhh ok! thanks for the advice!!!:smile:

Latest