The Student Room Group

Is 1GB enough data for an Iphone?

I'll be ordering an iphone later, but I'm undecided on whether I should go for the plan with 1GB of internet data, or unlimited to be on the safe side.

I have an ipod touch, and while at home I'll connect to the home wifi. I do think I'll make good usage of the apps though. At the moment I am using less than 250mb on my blackberry, but I reckon I'll be fiddling around on my iphone more.

Would 1GB be sufficient?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
As long as you're not watching thousands of hours of video over the Operator's network then you should be okay.
Reply 2
Unlimited isn't actually unlimited, it's 'unlimited' under fair usage policy. 3 offer 1GB as unlimited, most of the others now offer 500MB as unlimited.
Reply 3
It depends on what you do.. I did have unlimited when I switched my o2 simplicity to o2 iPhone simplicity then I got a nice text saying I only had 500mb a month or something. According to my usage info which I have not reset at all, since I got the phone in October I have sent 255mb and received 1.7GB so no problemo :smile: If you don't use that much at present, it probably won't go up by that much and lots of places have wi fi these days.

Oh and I have on occasion watched videos on youtube and such using my 3G (usually out of boredom on buses etc) and my usage is still really low!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by richwhite
Unlimited isn't actually unlimited, it's 'unlimited' under fair usage policy. 3 offer 1GB as unlimited, most of the others now offer 500MB as unlimited.

Three's one plan, says no limits, all you can eat data, no fair usage policy.

Here is the support page
Reply 5

With GiffGaff it is :sly:

T - Mobile claims it is now "unlimited" But that is more likely to be a load of horse **** tbh.

Try GiffGaff they got good deals!
Reply 6
1GB for an iPhone? :lolwut:

Is 1GB enough? Just asking
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
1GB is quite a lot. I don't get through anything like that, though I tend to do most of my app downloading over wifi.
Reply 8
Original post by Agent Smirnoff

1GB for an IPHONE?!

:rofl:

Spoiler

It may seem like a bit but once you start downlaoding tonnes of apps and app updates as well as streaming stuff and watching video , 1GB will be like nothing!

Do you own an iPhone?

Streaming is a waste of time over most 3G networks, and you'd do almost all large downloads over your Wifi at home. Plus most decent services offer offline mode, so no need to stream at all, just download when at home and play on the go. For example, I pay £9.99 for we7 (similar to spotify) and can download unlimited songs to my iPhone to play when I'm out, and without wifi. In the 4 months since I last reset my usage I have used 790MB mobile data, and I'm a fairly heavy user, regularly on FB and twitter when I'm walking somewhere, watching the occasional YouTube video and listening to podcasts in the train and such.
Reply 9
Original post by Burgch
Do you own an iPhone?

Streaming is a waste of time over most 3G networks, and you'd do almost all large downloads over your Wifi at home. Plus most decent services offer offline mode, so no need to stream at all, just download when at home and play on the go. For example, I pay £9.99 for we7 (similar to spotify) and can download unlimited songs to my iPhone to play when I'm out, and without wifi. In the 4 months since I last reset my usage I have used 790MB mobile data, and I'm a fairly heavy user, regularly on FB and twitter when I'm walking somewhere, watching the occasional YouTube video and listening to podcasts in the train and such.

Well Not necessarily. I own an Android Phone , which is probably ten times worse when it comes to internet as my set up on my droid takes everything from the web like a cloud .... from Contacts to Messages and even my notes! My notes!

I also have an iPod touch which when I am out and about or the home broadband is a bit troublesome or slow , I hook up to my Wi-Fi dongle.

Really? Thanks for the tip :gthumb:
I've had iPhones for 3 years now, my total usage is just over 4GB, and I use it a fair bit.
Reply 11
Original post by DDDenniZZZ
Three's one plan, says no limits, all you can eat data, no fair usage policy.

Here is the support page

Well this is relatively new, 'unlimited' is still broadly considered 500MB-1GB.

In any case, 1GB is ample. To get near that on 3G you'll be caining your battery all the time.
Reply 12
Well this is relatively new, 'unlimited' is still broadly considered 500MB-1GB.

In any case, 1GB is ample. To get near that on 3G you'll be caining your battery all the time.

Well there are unlimited plans. GiffGaff and T-Mobile offer "Truly Unlimited" plans although GiffGaff tends to offer more value than T Mob in my opinion.

It is not a new concept. It has been around for a while.
Reply 13
Well Not necessarily. I own an Android Phone , which is probably ten times worse when it comes to internet as my set up on my droid takes everything from the web like a cloud .... from Contacts to Messages and even my notes! My notes!

I also have an iPod touch which when I am out and about or the home broadband is a bit troublesome or slow , I hook up to my Wi-Fi dongle.

Really? Thanks for the tip :gthumb:

That must be frustrating! No way to turn it off when not connected to wifi?

Yeah, I think they have an android app, not certain though. Spotify offer a similar service.
Reply 14
Well there are unlimited plans. GiffGaff and T-Mobile offer "Truly Unlimited" plans although GiffGaff tends to offer more value than T Mob in my opinion.

It is not a new concept. It has been around for a while.

i said relatively new, not a new concept. T-Mobile offers unlimited browsing, that isn't the same as unlimited internet. GiffGaff is PAYG. Any my original points were a) 1GB is ample and b) 'unlimited' on most networks is now 500MB, with 3 offering 1GB as unlimited.

That others offer more for 'unlimited' doesn't contradict what i originally said, especially when neither are directly comparable either. The problem with TMO is that 1GB is more than ample for browsing, it knows that the data usage goes up with streaming and downloads, and last i checked that was most definitely still capped.
Reply 15
Original post by Burgch
That must be frustrating! No way to turn it off when not connected to wifi?

Yeah, I think they have an android app, not certain though. Spotify offer a similar service.

No not really. :no: I have a GiffGaff sim so I get Unlimited texts, Unlimited Internet and 250 Minutes of calls all for £10 top up andd it lasts for a whole month (then it expires)

You can turn off data traffic yes. But I don't think that can be done on an iPod or iPhone. On those you just got to switch off the capabilities of recieving signals by activating airplane mode.

Is 1GB enough? Just asking

yes

you download apps over wi fi, in fact I've tried to download apps with 3G signal before and it hasn't let me because of the file size. So 1GB is plenty.
Reply 17
Original post by aleathiel
yes

you download apps over wi fi, in fact I've tried to download apps with 3G signal before and it hasn't let me because of the file size. So 1GB is plenty.

ah I see. I never knew an iPhone would do that? :lolwut:
ah I see. I never knew an iPhone would do that? :lolwut:

yeah I was at the train station once waiting for a delayed train and attempted to download an app, couldn't do it :smile: No biggie though.
Reply 19
Original post by aleathiel
yeah I was at the train station once waiting for a delayed train and attempted to download an app, couldn't do it :smile: No biggie though.

Oh I see. :beard: I seriously never knew that you couldn't do that over 3G. I do think the Amazon Kindle cannot download large books through 3G and require Wi-Fi or you to fiddle about with it so it allows it to work :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest