The Student Room Group

Manchester Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

There seems to be a large lack of clarity about what Manchester do with your total UKCAT score, but here's my take on it from what they've written in that word document on their site.

During stage 3 of their consideration, 'to help identify talented students from all backgrounds, UKCAT scores from UK candidates who come from similar educational and socio-demographic backgrounds are considered against each other. This is done by using supplemental information provided by publicly available datasets...Equal proportions of top scoring applicants from each group are then selected for interview.'

They then have a table showing the minimum cut-off score across all regions. I think this means that the cut off score of 2460 is the one for the poorest performing region in the UK, according to the applicants' 'contextual flags' and that the best performing region would have the highest UKCAT cut-off score (which isn't given).

Therefore, the 'socio-demographics' and 'contextual data' of each region would produce different UKCAT cut-off points depending on where you live.

This only holds true for UK students who are not applying for graduate entry nor are over 21 (mature).
Hi Manchester applicants,

I need your advice -

I have a UKCAT of 745 (2980 - pure luck I'm sure), and am definitely applying to both Newcastle & Durham (individually), as I'll get guaranteed interviews with both.

As for the last two choices, I'm torn between:

Manchester
HYMS
Keele

Any words of advice? I'm a mature student, currently undertaking an Access to Medicine course. GCSEs weren't great (12 years ago, 1A7B2C) but will get distinctions in all modules on the access course.
Apply to glasgow and sheffield and you're pretty much guaranteed an interview.
Anyone heard from Manchester yet? Put my application in 30th Sept, no acknowledgement even!
Original post by cricketcoach
Anyone heard from Manchester yet? Put my application in 30th Sept, no acknowledgement even!

They got mine on the 3rd Oct, and not heard anything from them or anywhere else yet.
Was told by medical admissions on the open day their ukcat cutoff was 2610..
Reply 106
Quick question: Do Manchester not accept modules sat in January?
Thanks
Original post by reaperguy
Was told by medical admissions on the open day their ukcat cutoff was 2610..

is that for applicants applying this year (2012) or was that last year?...and therefore is it likely to go up? i got 660 you see, so im a little worried.
Original post by pharrison1
is that for applicants applying this year (2012) or was that last year?...and therefore is it likely to go up? i got 660 you see, so im a little worried.

That's last years cut off (652.5 average), and is likely to rise again like it has done every previous year since UKCAT was started to be used.
Well I asked a bit more and I'm assuming the rise is due to the rise in fees so A LOT less took gap years etc, this score was from last year. So really it could go up or down atm, I'm guessing up but with 660 you will defo be fine..
Original post by reaperguy
Well I asked a bit more and I'm assuming the rise is due to the rise in fees so A LOT less took gap years etc, this score was from last year. So really it could go up or down atm, I'm guessing up but with 660 you will defo be fine..

The other thing that you need to consider is that because so many less people took gaps years, so many more maybe didn't get in which could potential result in a rise perhaps? Then again who knows.

Original post by pharrison1

Who knows what will happen :rolleyes: If you love Manchester it might be worth taking the risk (as long as the rest of the choices aren't all risks) You never know :smile:
Original post by Quackers93
The other thing that you need to consider is that because so many less people took gaps years, so many more maybe didn't get in which could potential result in a rise perhaps? Then again who knows.

But then there's also the possibility that more people decided to take up their 5th option and avoid the increase, rather than reapply.

I guess we won't truly know how it will affect admissions until next year :rolleyes:
Original post by Nash24
Quick question: Do Manchester not accept modules sat in January?
Thanks

Well I think they kinda have to accept them as some schools (mine) dont offer you a choice of if you want to sit in jan or june... we all had to do jan modules
Original post by Normandy114
But then there's also the possibility that more people decided to take up their 5th option and avoid the increase, rather than reapply.

I guess we won't truly know how it will affect admissions until next year :rolleyes:

Very true... let the joy fo the waiting game begin! :tongue:
Original post by Normandy114

Hmm yeah well you know, always look on the bright side n that ;D
Reply 115
Just finishing off my UCAS form, Manchester Medicine for A-Level applicants is A106 isn't it??
Original post by RO'Gara
Just finishing off my UCAS form, Manchester Medicine for A-Level applicants is A106 isn't it??

I believe it is. Not sure why though, anyone know?
Reply 117
Original post by Steerforth
I believe it is. Not sure why though, anyone know?

Thank you! I was having a little bit of a panic attack when I couldn't find an A100 for Manchester. Yeah its the only A106, A101 is graduate and A104 has a foundation year.
Is it really worth applying to manchester with a ukcat score of 650. Hoping my extra ciriculars and my predicted grades can pull my low ukcat score up a bit. Sneding my application in 2 days so some help asap would be appreciated. I know people have said the cuttof last year was 2610, but with the online calculators being used this year, im hoping that ukcat scores fall a bit this year.
Reply 119
Original post by kemekpo
Is it really worth applying to manchester with a ukcat score of 650. Hoping my extra ciriculars and my predicted grades can pull my low ukcat score up a bit. Sneding my application in 2 days so some help asap would be appreciated. I know people have said the cuttof last year was 2610, but with the online calculators being used this year, im hoping that ukcat scores fall a bit this year.

I'd never rest my hopes on a cut-off being reduced. Also, a strong personal statement will not benefit you at all if you do not meet the UKCAT cut-off - the scoring of the personal statement and use of UKCAT are completely independant of each other (except you must meet the PS requirements for your UKCAT score to be taken into consideration).

Sorry, but it'd be a hell of a bargain to hope the cut-off falls :/ But I do completely agree about the hellish onscreen calculator.

Quick Reply