The Student Room Group

AQA AS Physics A Unit 1 January 2012 Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Appantly 95% is an A in the ISA
Wooooooooooooooooow
Reply 81
Original post by LifeinTechnicolor
I've been using AQA and yep, I find it really dull, as soon as I get onto the photoelectric effect, my mind just goes blank. Is CGP any good? :/

THe best. It is much much much better than the student book. Plus there are no mistakes in it.
Reply 82
Original post by Hulksmash
No, just try to understand the relationships that make the graphs look that way. They are a good way of visualizing the relationships between resistance, current and voltage etc.

:ms:

thanks. We could be asked to sketch a graph in the exam. I hope we don't have to explain why it looks like that.
Reply 83
Original post by anuradha_d
JUST REALISED WE HAVE LESS THAN 3 WEEKS LEFT!
:zomg:

Boooo.
Original post by blue012
thanks. We could be asked to sketch a graph in the exam. I hope we don't have to explain why it looks like that.

Well, it isn't too hard to describe the ones which aren't the lamp (straight gradient for wire because R=V/I, thermistor gradient becomes steeper as the temperature rises, diode is flat until 0.6V, where it shoots up rapidly because current now goes through it).

-edit-
95% for an A? Goddamn. I hope the test's A thing isn't that high, or I'm screwed (averaging ~85% in the past papers, if I recall correctly).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 84
Its really not that high, don't stress! This summer I got 92 UMS, which is a raw mark of 52, so 74% and I was 2 marks off an A, its not as hard as you think to get an A :smile: I'm resisting as I need an A in physics for Uni, unfortunately this module and my ISA dragged me down :'( Also, the ISA's are ridiculous, at A2 there is 10 MARKS BETWEEN GETTING AN A AND FAILING (U). And on that depressing note, I wish you the best of luck, im sure you will all do great :biggrin:
Hows the revish going dudes?
Reply 86
Not too bad. :wink: Has anyone got a mark scheme for Tuesday 24 May 2011?

Edit: I can't find that mark scheme. :frown: Does anyone know why the terminal pd decreases as the current increases? Is it because of the temperature increase?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 87
Original post by allybear
Its really not that high, don't stress! This summer I got 92 UMS, which is a raw mark of 52, so 74% and I was 2 marks off an A, its not as hard as you think to get an A :smile: I'm resisting as I need an A in physics for Uni, unfortunately this module and my ISA dragged me down :'( Also, the ISA's are ridiculous, at A2 there is 10 MARKS BETWEEN GETTING AN A AND FAILING (U). And on that depressing note, I wish you the best of luck, im sure you will all do great :biggrin:

That gives me great hope...:frown:
Original post by Draggy
Not too bad. :wink: Has anyone got a mark scheme for Tuesday 24 May 2011?

Edit: I can't find that mark scheme. :frown: Does anyone know why the terminal pd decreases as the current increases? Is it because of the temperature increase?

Yeah its because as current increases the voltage lost along the cells internal resistance increases, and so a lot of pd is lost to the internal resistance, causing an overall decrease in terminal pd
Original post by Hulksmash
Change in "type".

The strong force is what keeps a nucleus together. The bosons or exchange particles are called gluons; they literally glue things together. The range is small though, around 10 fm, so this force doesn't work outside the nucleus. At this point, electromagnetic force cones.into play. Only hadrons experience the strong nuclear force, so electrons aren't glued to the nucleus xD
The weak nuclear force is responsible for decay (that's all we need to know at our level). The bosons or exchange particles are known as W+, W- or Z0. These bosons are quite heavy, so the range is small, only around 0.1 fm. However particles are small, so their proximity allows decay to occur. A good way to rememeber which boson you need is to think of the quark change. So a proton (uud) turning to a neutron (udd) means an up quark turning to a down quark, so its change is downward or negative. Therefore the boson is the W-. All fermions decay through the weak interaction.
Hope this helps x

Thanks both of you! That really helps :smile:

I have another question.
Has anyone done Jan 2010 paper?
MS says the answer to question 6 (a) (iv) is 112 but I keep getting 113! :/
Reply 90
Original post by IAmTheChosenOne

I don't recall the paper exactly, but that sounds like a rounding error to me, whether on your part or the examiner's. Try to see where you've rounded (or haven't rounded).

-edit-
Ugh, I feel like I'm losing my grip on the subject knowledge after Christmas. I think I need a new way to revise.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by SaltPillar
I don't recall the paper exactly, but that sounds like a rounding error to me, whether on your part or the examiner's. Try to see where you've rounded (or haven't rounded).

-edit-
Ugh, I feel like I'm losing my grip on the subject knowledge after Christmas. I think I need a new way to revise.

I think the mark scheme rounded it up wrongly :smile:

(or maybe I'm just wrong :hide: )
Thanks both of you! That really helps :smile:

I have another question.

I am getting 112.5...
So 113.
The thing is even the mark scheme says its .375*300, but it's rounded down from 112.5 to112, which is incorrect in the non-AQA world. Hmm....
Reply 93
I am getting 112.5...
So 113.
The thing is even the mark scheme says its .375*300, but it's rounded down from 112.5 to112, which is incorrect in the non-AQA world. Hmm....

This just fills me with confidence for our exam in two weeks, it really does.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
You joker.
Surely they must have noticed when so many candidates wrote 113, that it was, infact, 113.
Oh duh duhhhh AQA -_-
I am getting 112.5...
So 113.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
You joker.
Surely they must have noticed when so many candidates wrote 113, that it was, infact, 113.
Oh duh duhhhh AQA -_-

So basically the mark scheme is wrong right?

Hmm AQA....
Reply 96
hi guys. the website below is great for finding markschemes/past papers :smile:

http://www.xtremepapers.com/AQA/index.php
Reply 97
Hi, just wondering if anyone had the mark scheme to the june 2011 paper? I have the paper but there are a few questions i would like to check, thanks for any help!
Reply 98
hello, Anyone can you please explain the theories in simplistic terms please. The theories in unit 1 physics: Quantum phenomena, Wave model, photon model etc. I am really struggling to answer the 6 markers-they are mostly based on these models/theories. Thanks in advance.
Reply 99
Oh duh duhhhh AQA -_-

Yeah >>; This sort of thing is worrying, since the calculations should be pretty easy marks (as long as you use the right formulae), and it'd be a shame to lose them because the person who wrote the mark scheme can't do sums.
So basically the mark scheme is wrong right?

Basically. It's a rounding error on their part, not yours.
Original post by blue012
hello, Anyone can you please explain the theories in simplistic terms please. The theories in unit 1 physics: Quantum phenomena, Wave model, photon model etc. I am really struggling to answer the 6 markers-they are mostly based on these models/theories. Thanks in advance.

I could have a bash at it, what do you need? If you're referring to the past paper questions, give samples, since they tend to be two-pronged (e.g. "explain how electrons are emitted and how this cannot be due to the wave nature of particles" or something like that).

By the way, the six-mark questions have five marks allocated to knowing the syllabus (if it's two-pronged, try to write three points per topic, but make sure you leave room for both), with the sixth mark being a "quality of written communication" mark, which should be easy to pick up if you can remember the terminology.

Quick Reply

Latest