The Student Room Group

Which Uni for me? Need help, please advise me. (New student)

I hope to go to university this Sept (or next, depends). I just turned 20, have spent some time after college travelling and relaxing. I am now ready for study, having got all that "wild energy" out of my system.

I want a smallish, semi-urban or rural based, campus university. I hope to study Political Science.

I have 4 A -levels, grades A,B,B,C in History, Economics, English Lit and Biology. (10 GCSE's, 5 A's, 3 B's, 2 C's).

I live in a small town and love that slow pace.

Please help me pick universities!

Scroll to see replies

Lancaster sounds perfect
Reply 2
I was thinking Lancaster and then scrolled down to see Crocker had suggested it as well! Depends how rural and whether you care about league table rankings etc, but if you want a really good one lancaster certainly fits the criteria.
Reply 3
I looked up universities offering similar courses and Exeter, York, and Kent seem like good candidates. Their typical offer a tad higher than your grades though, but not so high that it should deter you from applying.
Reply 4
Oh thanks.

Lancaster sounds perfect. Just checked out their website. :smile:

Any others, Exeter perhaps?
Reply 5
Original post by bownessie
I was thinking Lancaster and then scrolled down to see Crocker had suggested it as well! Depends how rural and whether you care about league table rankings etc, but if you want a really good one lancaster certainly fits the criteria.

You guys are so nice. I was delighted with ABBC, I was expecting a complete mess-up.

I went to Clifton College (full boarder) and by exam time in upper sixth, I had severe senioritis.
Reply 6
Original post by villageboy
You guys are so nice. I was delighted with ABBC, I was expecting a complete mess-up.

I went to Clifton College (full boarder) and by exam time in upper sixth, I had severe senioritis.

You and me both! I was a day kid, but at a boarding school and by the time exams came I was just like "I can't be bothered anymore" lol XD
Reply 7
I have no desire to study in London or a big city. I went to school in Bristol for 5 years and I am tired of large cities. I want the vibe of my youth and holidays forever.
Reply 8
Original post by bownessie
You and me both! I was a day kid, but at a boarding school and by the time exams came I was just like "I can't be bothered anymore" lol XD

After awhile, boarding school becomes so much fun. You make good friends and goof off all the time.

I will definitely send my future kids to boarding school. I went from 13-18, and that is the best time. I was old enough to know myself, didnt need mum to hold my hand etc.
Reply 9
I hope to go to university this Sept (or next, depends). I just turned 20, have spent some time after college travelling and relaxing. I am now ready for study, having got all that "wild energy" out of my system.

I want a smallish, semi-urban or rural based, campus university. I hope to study Political Science.

I have 4 A -levels, grades A,B,B,C in History, Economics, English Lit and Biology. (10 GCSE's, 5 A's, 3 B's, 2 C's).

I live in a small town and love that slow pace.

Please help me pick universities!

Exeter University would meet all your requirements... you could even choose to study at their Cornwall campus in Falmouth if you really want laid back, holiday style. They say on their site:

Politic may also be studied at the Cornwall campus and under the Flexible Combined Honours scheme in both Exeter and Cornwall.

Politics asks for A*AB-AAB though and FCH AAA-AAB and lots of applicants so I think you're a bit out of the reckoning for grades.

I f you were willing/able to consider a different subject though: What about University College Famouth which is a university devoted only to creative degrees. They do fine art and stuff of course but they also do English Degrees and Journalism. Only suggesting this because the setting is just so fab. That is my idea of a great degree: on a Cornish beach with a surfboard contemplating my next creative assignment.

:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
Whilst I am far from a brand freak, it should be a 'proper' university. Ie not post 1992 university.

Exeter does seem nice. But my grades are a bit shy?
Reply 11
I seek the UK version of Claremont McKenna College.
Whilst I am far from a brand freak, it should be a 'proper' university. Ie not post 1992 university.

Exeter does seem nice. But my grades are a bit shy?

You could self study politics and get an A prediction :smile:
Reply 13
Nah. My studying (at school level) is done. Just bracing for college now. I have limited ambition, just enjoy good food, my books, quiet environments and the company of pretty women.
Reply 14
Are my grades good enough for Lancaster?

What's the crop like out there?
Reply 15
Sounds like a good place.

Library is on campus, right?

Oh and are there many rahs there?
The entry requirement is AAB for politics, but Lancaster tends to be quite flexible on grades so if you have ABB you should be fine. One major thing is that if you decide you want to go to Lancaster to do politics, you will have to do two subjects in your first year. For example I am a history major and 1/3 of my time is devoted to history, then I have two minors: sociology and human geography. This can be a very good experience as it can allow you to test out other subjects at university level (or try something completely new). If you 100% just want to do politics then you have to wait till your second year here. The major-minor system very much defines your first year and if you think you'd hate doing two others subjects then Lancaster may not be for you (some of my friends knew nothing about the major-minor system before coming and got a very nasty suprise lol).
Sounds like a good place.

Library is on campus, right?

Oh and are there many rahs there?

Never heard a private school kid question the number of rahs :tongue: I think Exeter is a haven for them though, Lancs is fine.
Reply 18
CC had a supreme collection.

Sometimes I think a good boarding education is better then a university education?

You learn about life. Camping and trekking, summer trips, cricket matches home and away, dorm life...
(edited 12 years ago)
Aberystwyth is one that springs to mind - nice and rural, small town, by the seaside, and with a good reputation for politics (it had the first IR dept in the world!). They ask for 300 UCAS points, so it's well within your range.

Hull also has an excellent reputation for politics, and it's a smaller town than anywhere like Bristol, although it's also not particularly rural. They want ABB (or AAB for one course), so also within your range.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending