The Student Room Group

Fancy Dress - Questions, advice, cheap solutions, themes

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 26daystoworkwith
Just found out the theme for a social I'm going to tomorrow night is 'pub golf'. I've managed to get someone to lend me a golf visor but I have no idea what to wear otherwise, so need suggestions for top/bottoms. I have jeans or either a plain grey or red tartan skirt I could wear, but the only vaguely golf-y top I've got is a black/grey tartan shirt with black sleeveless vest combo (looks like two tops but is actually one).

Ideally I don't want to spend any money (although I'm going to check charity shops in the morning for a polo shirt or something) but if I can't find anything do you think the clothes I've already got would work?

Help!!

To be honest that shirt sounds fine, with a grey skirt and long socks. Perfect pub golf. Normally I end up in plaid shorts, long socks and V neck jumper
So I've got a war time/40s themed party coming up and I was thinking of going as a land girl (hair tied up with scarf, flowery blouse and dungarees) only problem is I don't own dungarees and don't want to spend a lot of money on something I'm only going to wear for fancy dress.

What do people think of these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-WOMENS-LADIES-HOTPANTS-DENIM-DUNGAREES-SHORTS-JEANS-PLAYSUIT-SIZE-8-10-12-14-/200704291401?pt=UK_Women_s_Jumpsuits_Playsuits&var=&hash=item746d0aef48#ht_5637wt_1189

And then I could cut off the top bit and wear them as shorts afterwards?

If not, what other easy 40s looks could I do?
You could probably just wear those with blouse, headscarf thing etc without cutting them up, would like fine really.

Alternatively, an SS trooper, but that's of arguable ethics
Original post by robo donkey
You could probably just wear those with blouse, headscarf thing etc without cutting them up, would like fine really.

Alternatively, an SS trooper, but that's of arguable ethics

Oh I wouldn't cut them up for the party, but afterwards so I could wear them as normal shorts. In the end though I found an old shirt dress which I can use!
I misread you, my bad, sounds a cool outfit though, it's actually original, which I approve of greatly
Original post by robo donkey
I misread you, my bad, sounds a cool outfit though, it's actually original, which I approve of greatly

I try and stick to originality (I mainly make my own fancy dress outfits!)
Hey i have a fancy dress party coming up, and i have no idea what to go as?
This is for a girl, and i dont want to spend too much on the outfit?
any ideas for a pair aswell?
Thanks
xox
Get a friend, tie some string to your arms or whatever and go as a washing line.
Works best when the string is really long and you stand way apart. Drunk people don't notice and hit it and it's just funny...

Or cut a hole in a sheet and go as a ghost. :wink:
What is the theme??

I would say strawberries :smile: I think me and my mates editted it for £15
Literally just made my own pikachu costume, it is unbelieveably awesome :biggrin: fur ears, cardboard tail and everything WOO
Reply 390
Just found out that not the coming Saturday, but the Saturday after, I'm going clubbing in fancy dress.
There's no theme as of yet, but I've got no idea what to go as.
I have a Captain America costume but it's not really clubbing sexy.

Is Ann Summers any good for costumes?
I don't mind spending a fair bit, because I'm sure I'll get re use out of it, for Uni, etc.

I 'spose if I can't find anything last minute, I can go as a schoolgirl or a teacher. I have a black mini skirt, heels, a white blouse and a black bandeau top. I can always find a tie and wear some fake glasses?
Original post by danielleL
Just found out that not the coming Saturday, but the Saturday after, I'm going clubbing in fancy dress.
There's no theme as of yet, but I've got no idea what to go as.
I have a Captain America costume but it's not really clubbing sexy.

Is Ann Summers any good for costumes?
I don't mind spending a fair bit, because I'm sure I'll get re use out of it, for Uni, etc.

I 'spose if I can't find anything last minute, I can go as a schoolgirl or a teacher. I have a black mini skirt, heels, a white blouse and a black bandeau top. I can always find a tie and wear some fake glasses?

Some of Ann Summer's costumes are amazing :yep: others are just too slutty!
Reply 392
Yeah, I've looked on the site.
I'm just scared no nightclubs will let us in.
I've seen people clubbing in costumes (every week in my town there's a gaggle of Wallys from Where's Wally, and last week I saw some girls dressed as sexy Disney princesses) but I'm scared I'll take it to the extreme, haha.
Reply 393
Any ideas for costumes for a fancy dress.

Also does anyone know the actual name of this theme for fancy dress?

an example would be going as lostprophets, so you turn up as prophets who are lost etccc :smile:
Queen, Beatles, Daft Punk, and Gorrilaz come to mind as easy costumes
Reply 395
I like daft punk, thats a good one.
Reply 396
does anyone know the actual name of this kind of theme?
The Wombats could be interesting :biggrin:.
Suede, Blue, Adam and the Ants, The Jam, Japan, The Police, T.Rex, Sex Pistols, Supertramp, A Flock of Seagulls, The Boomtown Rats, King, Pet Shop Boys
Reply 399
Guns N Roses, WASP.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending