The Student Room Group

Peer pressure and not drinking

Hi

Basically about 3 months ago I gave up drinking, and I really enjoy not drinking (believe it or not :P) however the problem is that before I gave up I paid to go on tour with the uni lacrosse team to Salou on Saturday. When I initially went teetotal I did say that I would drink on tour however now it is coming up to the date I actually do not want to but the tour group are pressuring me into drinking :/

Does anyone have any good ideas of how I can firmly say no and that they will stop pestering me into drinking? The thought is actually putting me off even going when I know I could just enjoy myself sober! I don't see how it is a problem for them whether I drink or not! I still happily jump up dance/do stupid things when sober etc :smile:

Thanks in advance
No, you can never stop people pestering you to drink. I have never drunk in my life, mainly because I act drunk when I'm not (except I can drive and walk in a straight line!) and it has never done me any harm.

Make up your own mind - wouldn't do much harm if you did drink, but if you don't want to, you don't want to, and that's the end of it.
Yeah people are always going to try and pressure you into drinking, unless you have a concrete reason like religious reasons, and even then people will probably still suggest you just have a sip etc. You have to just be firm with people.

I gave up drinking a few months back for 2 months, and when I told my friend she looked at me like I'd just told her I eat Third World children for breakfast.
Original post by tu_es_jolie_x
Yeah people are always going to try and pressure you into drinking, unless you have a concrete reason like religious reasons.

Beginning to think from now on it'd just be easier to tell anyone new I meet I have liver issues or something!
Reply 4
you could say you're on medication or something. get a prescription packet from someone and fill it with tic tacs
Original post by Clez
you could say you're on medication or something. get a prescription packet from someone and fill it with tic tacs

I would but my housemate is coming with us so will know it is a lie! Plus last time I was actually on medication for anxiety she just laughed and said 'no you're not!' :/
Reply 6
Original post by FallenPetalIsDABOMB
I would but my housemate is coming with us so will know it is a lie! Plus last time I was actually on medication for anxiety she just laughed and said 'no you're not!' :/

that doesnt sound like a very nice housemate! when i told my housemates last year i was antidepressants they all immediately stopped talking to me and pretty much blanked me after :/

Idv thought that would be the best solution still though if youve already mentioned it before
Original post by Clez
that doesnt sound like a very nice housemate! when i told my housemates last year i was antidepressants they all immediately stopped talking to me and pretty much blanked me after :/

Idv thought that would be the best solution still though if youve already mentioned it before

Yeah it's why I'm kind of hesistant about using it as an excuse :/ plus nobody believes me because I'm quite outgoing and energetic anyway which is frustrating. Going to try sending a message to the tour sec later with that excuse though. Fingers crossed!
Reply 8
Original post by Clez

Absolutely not. Why should people who don't drink alcohol have to hide behind stupid excuses as if its something sad and shameful? I don't drink and that's that. if someone doesn't like that then maybe they aren't the right friend for me. Interesting how If he said he was muslim there wouldn't be an issue. But no just not liking the taste is weird and antisocial somehow/
Reply 9
Original post by sexbo
But no just not liking the taste is weird and antisocial somehow/
Weird yes, antisocial no
Reply 10
Original post by Clez
Weird yes, antisocial no

Why is ist weird? tbh I would say it is weird to LIKE the taste of alcohol because alcohol is a harsh smelling and tasting chemical unlike most other beverages. let's face it a lot of people don't but carry on anyway due to their peers saying "you will get used to it".
Original post by sexbo
Why is ist weird? tbh I would say it is weird to LIKE the taste of alcohol because alcohol is a harsh smelling and tasting chemical unlike most other beverages. let's face it a lot of people don't but carry on anyway due to their peers saying "you will get used to it".

I agree with this! The part that frustrates me the most is when people say 'you won't have a good time unless you drink' where did this come from?! It's just complete bull****. And if anything I find it's me jumping about dancing etc before everyone else who is just standing about looking depressed waiting for the alcohol to kick in!
Reply 12
Twll them youve been diagnosed with a liver problem. My friend actually has one and noone pesters him.
Reply 13
Original post by sexbo

I would actually agree with you. I only like drinks that don't taste of alcohol, usually the really girly ones. Even vodka and coke is a bit ew cos I can still taste the vodka. Now I'm old and mature (:tongue:) I absolutely refuse to do shots because the taste of them just makes me want to hurl. Also, I don't like feeling drunk and I can feel drunk on two glasses of wine so shots are a really bad idea.
Personally I have a better time when I don't drink- and in my opinion those who think the best nights out are had when you're so legless you cant remember anything- make an idiot out of your self and are "hanging" for a few days afterwards are morons.
Yeah... its nice to have a quiet drink, maybe get a little merry, but its not everyone's cup of tea.

How to tell them you don't want a drink: be firm and say no. It's your body, your choice.

Luckily I have an excuse as I am allergic to most alcoholic drinks - though people still try and force me into drinking spirits.... and I know that my not drinking was one of the major reasons one of my exes finished with me.... sad how much emphasis people put on a type of drink eh?

chin up- tell them to stuff off
xxx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending