The Student Room Group
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Being underage at freshers' week

Hey everyone!

I only turn 18 in November, which means that - if I actually meet my offer's conditions - I will be 17 at freshers' week. Will this be a problem? Will I be able to drink alcohol and go to night clubs?

Are they, in Newcastle, very strict with IDs?

I heard you get a wristband in the beginning of freshers' week. Do underage people get one in a different colour or something like that?

Thanks in advance! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I'm at Newcastle, it's normally not too strict on IDs, but during fresher's week the <18s do get different coloured wristbands
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Reply 2
MGA
OP
Original post by seanfromtheblock
I'm at Newcastle, it's normally not too strict on IDs, but during fresher's week the <18s do get different coloured wristbands

So that means I'll basically miss all the fun?

Do you know what kind of events people under 18 can go during freshers' week, then?
Original post by MGA

Do you know what kind of events people under 18 can go during freshers' week, then?

there's a lot of day events, they change each year.

I don't actually know how strict they are with wristbands. tbh you'd probably be better off just getting people to go out in Newcastle on some of the freshers nights, a lot of them aren't 'all that'

also, it's important to remember that it's just a week, and you'll have all of your best nights out afterwards, when you have proper friends.
Reply 4
How will they even know you're under 18? They just let everyone in during freshers as long as you have your student card.

If you're really worried I used to use fake id's off t'internet when I was 16 and worked fairly well.
Original post by rodcarter
How will they even know you're under 18? They just let everyone in during freshers as long as you have your student card.

If you're really worried I used to use fake id's off t'internet when I was 16 and worked fairly well.

when I did freshers this year they looked at your wristbands, and the <18s had different ones to everyone else
Reply 6
when I did freshers this year they looked at your wristbands, and the <18s had different ones to everyone else

You'd probably know Newcastle more than me anyway so fair do's
Reply 7
MGA
OP
there's a lot of day events, they change each year.

I don't actually know how strict they are with wristbands. tbh you'd probably be better off just getting people to go out in Newcastle on some of the freshers nights, a lot of them aren't 'all that'

also, it's important to remember that it's just a week, and you'll have all of your best nights out afterwards, when you have proper friends.

thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 8
MGA
OP
Original post by rodcarter

I heard you need to get those wristbands to get into the events and to get the wristband you need to show your ID, I think.
They are very strict in Newcastle now after years of bad press regarding underage drinking. You will get a different colour wristband to the over 18s but there are plenty of day events for the U18s. If you really are desperate, you can try and stitch together the tails of other people's wristbands and make your own! It's worked a few times before, believe me...

Fake IDs don't cut it anymore, your best bet is to try and use someone else's ID who looks similar to you, as someone who works on a bar I don't tend to look too closely at the photo, just the D.O.B.

That said, no harm in trying your luck...
Reply 10
MGA
OP
Original post by SummerAnthems
They are very strict in Newcastle now after years of bad press regarding underage drinking. You will get a different colour wristband to the over 18s but there are plenty of day events for the U18s. If you really are desperate, you can try and stitch together the tails of other people's wristbands and make your own! It's worked a few times before, believe me...

Fake IDs don't cut it anymore, your best bet is to try and use someone else's ID who looks similar to you, as someone who works on a bar I don't tend to look too closely at the photo, just the D.O.B.

That said, no harm in trying your luck...

Thank you!
:sexface:
Reply 12
Original post by MGA

Say you're 18 -> get normal wristband -> have fun. Pretty unlikely you'll get ID'd on freshers week, especially if your all wearing the same freshers t shirts etc.

Disagree with the above comment saying they're very strict with ID's, i don't look particularly old but i hardly ever get ID'd (only in digital, where they ID everyone)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
MGA
OP
Original post by Joluk
Say you're 18 -> get normal wristband -> have fun. Pretty unlikely you'll get ID'd on freshers week, especially if your all wearing the same freshers t shirts etc.

Disagree with the above comment saying they're very strict with ID's, i don't look particularly old but i hardly ever get ID'd (only in digital, where they ID everyone)

But I heard that in order to get a normal wristband you have to show your ID...

You don't get ID'd in Newcastle?
Original post by MagicNMedicine
:sexface:

:smug:
Reply 15
Original post by MGA
But I heard that in order to get a normal wristband you have to show your ID...

You don't get ID'd in Newcastle?

When i got mine a couple of years ago, i'm pretty sure i just filled in a form and got given one straight away. You'll get your wristbands off older students so if they ask just say you forgot your id or something, pretty unlikely they'll be strict about it though.
Reply 16
MGA
OP
Original post by Joluk
When i got mine a couple of years ago, i'm pretty sure i just filled in a form and got given one straight away. You'll get your wristbands off older students so if they ask just say you forgot your id or something, pretty unlikely they'll be strict about it though.

That sounds nice :smile:

You're talking about Newcastle, right?
Reply 17
Don't buy a fake ID off the internet you will most likely just get laughed at and have it confiscated. I suggest you just use a siblings or friends ID who is 18 or over that looks like you. If there is a resemblance then you should be okay. Hope this helped :smile:
Reply 18
just get someone to get you an 18+ band, we were getting everyone them last year
Reply 19
MGA
OP
Original post by _jamie
Don't buy a fake ID off the internet you will most likely just get laughed at and have it confiscated. I suggest you just use a siblings or friends ID who is 18 or over that looks like you. If there is a resemblance then you should be okay. Hope this helped :smile:

yes, it did :smile: thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest