The Student Room Group

Baltic Partnership

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Latvia is of the position that there were election irregularities in the last Presidential election and it is clear the insensitive treatment of Mrs Tymoshenko was against the principles of the European Union but rather this Baltic Partnership. I urge the release of Mrs Tymoshenko and hope the current Government will listen and engage with the EU and move away from Russian influence which time and again plagues Ukraine's ambitions and aspirations. Nevertheless, I think any boycott of Euro 2012 would be a disaster and I wish the nation well hosting something that could foster openess through fun and sport.

I second any moves by the President of the Partnership to make a decision on behalf of members as strong declarations are vital!
The President thanks the representative for Latvia for voicing their opinion. The President agrees that a "crisis of trust", as the Dalia Grybauskaite put it, is growing between Ukraine and Europe (and therefore the Partnership) because of the Tymoshenko case, and is perhaps hindering possible future relations and progress which has been hoped for between Ukraine and Europe. Indeed, Angela Merkel has gone as far as to liken Ukraine with Belaurus, calling it a "dictatorship," and though Finland itself would not go so far, it is of growing concern.

Therefore, due to the already expressed opinions of the Partnership, the President of the Baltic Partnership states the obvious condemnation of the Tymoshenko case's proceeding. The matter will only further the distance between co-operation and progress generally between Europe and Ukraine. This is just hindering the many attempts that have been made in diplomatic ties with the country.

Take, for example, the Euro 2012 Football Tournament. In accepting Ukraine as the co-host of the competition, we gave a symbol of trust to Ukraine. That trust is now being abused.

If the situation is not looking to improve itself, then, alongside the EU, the President wishes to put forth concrete action to stop the situation escalating further.

The President welcomes any further suggestion or opinions on the matter,
The MHoC welcomes the President's comments. Would the president be willing to write a statement so that it can be put to vote and so that the Partnership can show unity on this issue.
Here is a statement on the matter. I've kept the boycotting of the games out as Finland is still considering the matter itself, as I believe are the majority of our members, not to mention Latvia's expressed opposition to any boycott. If the situation does not progress in the right direction, however, the President may issue a harsher statement concerning the matter, but for now the President is leaving the fate of their country and its relations with the Partnership in Ukraine's hands, a thing which the President believes to be the right thing to do at this moment in the time.

StatementThe Baltic Partnership expresses its condemnation of the proceedings of the case of Yulia Tymoshenko. There has been allegations of election irregularities and undemocratic happenings already, and the mistreatment of her and therefore her case is against the very principles in which the Baltic Partnership is founded: justice, fairness and democracy, to name but a few, and the entire case is proving to be stalling what had the potential to be a great and prosperous relationship with European and Baltic states alike.

Therefore, if the situation does not improve, the states of the Baltic Partnership shall reduce its diplomatic engagements and general relations with Ukraine (including the cancellation of any political visit there, unless concerning the improvement of the matter in hand), while also opposing any further European intergration while such actions are taking place and have not been resolved, considering how much they go against modern European principles.

As a matter of course, these actions will be stopped if the members of the Baltic Partnership are shown that the Tymoshenko case and, indeed, the general state of Ukraine has been improved.

The President appreciates the Partnership's opinions on the statement.
Tunisia would urge members of the league to boycott the tournemant, sending a clear message to Ukraine that this will not be tolerated.
The MHoC welcomes the statement from the President. We are willing to make a statement in the House as well as submitting a motion on this matter taking the word as above if the President is alright with that.
Original post by toronto353
The MHoC welcomes the statement from the President. We are willing to make a statement in the House as well as submitting a motion on this matter taking the word as above if the President is alright with that.

The President thanks the MHoC, and is more than alright in the furthering of awareness and debate of the Tymoshenko case, and would see it as a great honour for this to be submitted to the House. The President looks forward to your Members of Parliament ensuing debate on the matter.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 167
Latvia thinks that Poland one of our members has acted irresponsibly over the Ukraine issue. It has failed to take a harsh enough stand on the situation in Ukraine and I urge the member to make a full statement criticising the ongoing castration of legitimate democratic voice. While we want Euro2012 to go ahead as it will be good for Poland I believe it has acted irresponsibly as it puts its economic future ahead of huge democratic deficits on its eastern border.
Poland would like to remind fellow members and observers that the Euro 2012 football tournament is an opportunity to showcase Poland, not only to the rest of Europe but to the world, with the possibility of securing future investment in Poland. As representative for Poland, I urge fellow members not to boycott the Euro 2012 as, although boycotting would be a symbolic gesture of opposition to Ukraine, politics and sport should not be crossed.

On a more serious note, Poland does not in any way condone the harsh treatment of Yulia Tymoshenko, or any other political prisoner, and believes she should be released from prison. The President of Poland, Bronislaw Komorowski, has called for Ukraine to amend its legislation to prevent prosecution for political activities under criminal law, but Poland's appeal was declined. The situation has deteriorated with the recent news that Tymoshenko will be prosecuted as an accessory in the murder of a prominent Ukrainian MP in 1996. Poland feels that the Ukraine is materialising charges as an act of political revenge and would like to reiterate it's plea to Ukraine to change its legislation and release Tymoshenko from prison.
Just to remond the Partnership that new motions may be submitted at any time.

Furthermore, I'd like to start the Guidance Document seeing as there's good support for it, but would like it to be a mutual effort. State if you're interested :yy:
Reply 170
Original post by DebatingGreg

Furthermore, I'd like to start the Guidance Document seeing as there's good support for it, but would like it to be a mutual effort. State if you're interested :yy:

OOC: I'm interested.
Original post by DebatingGreg

The MHoC stands ready to help the Partnership with regards to a Guidance Document.
Reply 172
Latvia supports creation of Guidance Document.
Reply 173
To the nine Members of the EU, please comment in the roll call thread?

OOC: I have settled into the role and I am working with the President about forming a close relationship with the EU Bloc
Reply 174
Latvia has attended the rolecall and thanks the leadership of the Baltic Partnership for fostering closer links between ourselves and the rest of our European family.
Reply 175

Motion from the Latvian Representative to the Baltic Partnership

I beg to move that the Baltic Partnership approve a statement regarding the BBC documentary on racism in the football leagues in Poland and Ukraine. Latvia like many other countries viewed the documentary with disgust and horror to see the extent of violent racism in some football clubs in Ukraine and Poland. Latvia draws particular notice to the anti-Semitic chants and attacks on non-Caucasian fans of Ukrainian and Polish teams. The Baltic Partnership together unites in opposition to the racism seen at many football matches in Poland and affirms the values of understanding, tolerance and brotherhood. The Baltic Partnership pushes Poland and Ukraine to take more aggressive action at clamping down on racism in football. I commend this statement to the Partnership and to the wider MUN community.
Reply 176

Welcome to the Polish Presidency of the Baltic Partnership
Reply 177
I thought Finland was the President of the BP, Poland has the EU Bloc Presidency.

I am the Secretariat of both Groups and part of my role is the link between both groups.
Reply 178
As far as I'm concerned, the EU was elected Secretariat of this bloc and the Presidency rotates on a monthly basis. See the first page. The Presidency schedule was reviewed and voted in. We are not incorporating the BP into the EU. They remain separate entities.
Original post by frankayak

Motion from the Latvian Representative to the Baltic Partnership

I beg to move that the Baltic Partnership approve a statement regarding the BBC documentary on racism in the football leagues in Poland and Ukraine. Latvia like many other countries viewed the documentary with disgust and horror to see the extent of violent racism in some football clubs in Ukraine and Poland. Latvia draws particular notice to the anti-Semitic chants and attacks on non-Caucasian fans of Ukrainian and Polish teams. The Baltic Partnership together unites in opposition to the racism seen at many football matches in Poland and affirms the values of understanding, tolerance and brotherhood. The Baltic Partnership pushes Poland and Ukraine to take more aggressive action at clamping down on racism in football. I commend this statement to the Partnership and to the wider MUN community.

The MHoC seconds this viewpoint. We are concerned by the prospect of racism and violence and call on the Bloc to make a statement. The MHoC's foreign office is monitoring the situation and we are advising fans to be careful during the tournament. We are also reviewing whether we will attend or not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending