The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6300
Original post by Steveluis10
So...I had my first shift last night 4 pm-10 pm, went better than expected, I didn't make too many mistakes and got used to making the burgers in the end, did some cleaning and refilled the milkshake machines etc!

Question though; I've been told by the manager to come in next on Sunday at 8 a.m til 5 pm which I'm fine with but I can now log into Mctime after not being able to do so all week and it doesn't have me down for that day or my day yesterday but has me down for a week today at 2 pm 'til 10 pm....I don't understand, will I be paid for last night and this sunday? I bloody well hope so! And does your shifts only show up weekly? As in, will I only have that Thursday for next week because there's nothing else up on Mctime and you're meant to find out 2 weeks in advanance aren't you?

I'd ring up and check when your working, just explain that McTime and what the manager said is different, and you wanted to confirm what's right. Don't ring at busy times though like lunchtime.

New people don't tend to be on the schedule straight away, but once you've been there a few weeks it'll all be on McTime.
So...I had my first shift last night 4 pm-10 pm, went better than expected, I didn't make too many mistakes and got used to making the burgers in the end, did some cleaning and refilled the milkshake machines etc!

Question though; I've been told by the manager to come in next on Sunday at 8 a.m til 5 pm which I'm fine with but I can now log into Mctime after not being able to do so all week and it doesn't have me down for that day or my day yesterday but has me down for a week today at 2 pm 'til 10 pm....I don't understand, will I be paid for last night and this sunday? I bloody well hope so! And does your shifts only show up weekly? As in, will I only have that Thursday for next week because there's nothing else up on Mctime and you're meant to find out 2 weeks in advanance aren't you?

My first 3 shifts weren't on McTime but as mentioned before it goes on what you've clocked, my first pay came through yesterday and despite not having my wage slip it was bang on what I expected to get so I'm assuming it's all right.

Our schedule goes up on Thursdays but often can view it on the Wednesday evening. Don't know if it works for you guys, but even though the schedule hasn't been updated if you click on "printer friendly version" your shifts show up for next week (if they've started uploading the schedule just not published it) :smile:
Hi guys, I've just got an interview for customer care assistant at mcdonalds. I was just wondering if anyone can give me any advice on what to expect at the interview and how to make a good performance? thanks guys
Sam
Reply 6303
Today was my Welcome Meeting and the worst day of my life!
I applied for the team member position at the Westfield(STratford) restarant and had an interview there. The same day when I had the interview I received an email with a invitation for a WM. I was so excited that I didn't notice that the address is different! I only noticed it when today I came for the meeting 10 minutes in advance. Tried to call them but nobody answered.
I understand that this is my fault, because I had to read the address, DUH...
But why the hell I was sent to another restarant if I applied to a particular restarant and had an interview there!?
p.s. God, I feel myself so emberest( And at the same time angry, nervous and confused=P
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6304
Original post by VoVaN37
Today was my Welcome Meeting and the worst day of my life!
I applied for the team member position at the Westfield(STratford) restarant and had an interview there. The same day when I had the interview I received an email with a invitation for a WM. I was so excited that I didn't notice that the address is different! I only noticed it when today I came for the meeting 10 minutes in advance. Tried to call them but nobody answered.
I understand that this is my fault, because I had to read the address, DUH...
But why the hell I was sent to another restarant if I applied to a particular restarant and had an interview there!?
p.s. God, I feel myself so emberest( And at the same time angry, nervous and confused=P

The welcome meeting is generally held in the biggest store of the group. Makes it easier to fit people in, and means they'll need to hold less welcome meetings. I made the same mistake when I started, I'd applied to work in a store on Princes Street, but the welcome meeting was in a different store on Princes Street, so I turned up to the store I'd applied to after not reading the email properly too :p: Luckily I was only a 5/10 minute walk away so still made it (even if I missed the video).

I wouldn't worry about it, best thing is to call your store and ask when the next welcome meeting will be (I dunno if you've already found that out or not) and at least you'll know where it's supposed to be this time! Mistakes happen, I wouldn't worry about it, it's a pretty common thing to happen.
Reply 6305
Original post by Ronda
The welcome meeting is generally held in the biggest store of the group. Makes it easier to fit people in, and means they'll need to hold less welcome meetings. I made the same mistake when I started, I'd applied to work in a store on Princes Street, but the welcome meeting was in a different store on Princes Street, so I turned up to the store I'd applied to after not reading the email properly too :p: Luckily I was only a 5/10 minute walk away so still made it (even if I missed the video).

I wouldn't worry about it, best thing is to call your store and ask when the next welcome meeting will be (I dunno if you've already found that out or not) and at least you'll know where it's supposed to be this time! Mistakes happen, I wouldn't worry about it, it's a pretty common thing to happen.

I contacted the restarant 2 hours ago and was told that they will contact my manager and he will send me an email with the details of the next meeting.
So as I understand the WM can be held at any place, but I will work at the restarant where I applied for the position, is that right?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6306
Original post by VoVaN37
I contacted the restarant 2 hours ago and was told that they will contact my manager and he will send me an email with the details of the next meeting.
So as I understand the WM can be held at any place, but I will work at the restarant where I applied for the position, is that right?

Yeah, you'll be working at the restaurant which you applied for.
Hey guys, quick question. Are my managers allowed to change my schedule after they've done it? Because I'll check my schedule and see that say I have wednesday off, then I come to tuesday, check it again and they've put me on? It's so annoying as I make plans only to have to cancel them because they've decided I need to work that day! they do this almost every time they do the schedule!
Reply 6308
yum
Well, as regular readers of this will know I've had a pretty awful time at McDonalds. I had my probation review last Friday, and the guy basically said I'd failed because I hadn't turned up to some of my shifts (Hardly my fault when nobody told me about them), but was willing to give me an extra 3 weeks on kitchen instead.

After abit of thought I've decided its a lousy place to work and would much rather quit completely, how would I go about doing this? Do I have to wait til my next shift in a weeks time? Or can I E-Mail someone?

Reply 6310
Original post by ApriliaRS
Hey guys, quick question. Are my managers allowed to change my schedule after they've done it? Because I'll check my schedule and see that say I have wednesday off, then I come to tuesday, check it again and they've put me on? It's so annoying as I make plans only to have to cancel them because they've decided I need to work that day! they do this almost every time they do the schedule!

I'm not sure whether they contractually can, but what you've described certainly isn't reasonable. Bring it up with the schedule manager saying it keeps changing. Perhaps to make a point, don't turn up to the shifts they've added at short notice and when they ring to ask why your not there, tell them that it wasn't on the schedule when you checked and you can't make. (only do this if your 100% confident you read it right the first time and you feel you will get away with doing it to prove a point, if your new or don't get on with the schedule manager it might be a bad idea as your hours might get cut for unreliability.).

Original post by LastHype
Well, as regular readers of this will know I've had a pretty awful time at McDonalds. I had my probation review last Friday, and the guy basically said I'd failed because I hadn't turned up to some of my shifts (Hardly my fault when nobody told me about them), but was willing to give me an extra 3 weeks on kitchen instead.

After abit of thought I've decided its a lousy place to work and would much rather quit completely, how would I go about doing this? Do I have to wait til my next shift in a weeks time? Or can I E-Mail someone?

While your on probation you can leave at any time (and they can fail your probation (and hence you lose the job) at anytime), so just ring up and say you don't feel the job is for you. You'll need to return your uniform though. I've seen someone turn up before with a bag of uniform and give it to the manager telling them they don't want the job.

It's a shame it hasn't worked out for you, hopefully you find something which goes much better. :smile:
So 3 weeks after working there and they might be shutting my store.. damn!!
I feel really depressed and dreading my third shift on Thursday.

My first shift went alright, a lad not much older than myself trained me up and I didn't make too many mistakes, he said I did really well and that was that.

Had my second shift yesterday from 8 a.m 'til 5 pm, well that's what it was supposed to be. I came in, got changed into my uniform in a dirty, horrible toilet. Left my own clothes and phone in a bag on a bench in the bathroom next to the toilet as no one's given me a locker. Was with the same lad being trained on breakfast and then back to the meat again but as the day went on and it got busier I felt like a spare part, kept feeling awkward having to ask where things were because people kept coming up to me and giving me stuff to do like cleaning and re-stocking etc and I found it really tough seeing as it was only my second shift. Then the lad that had been training me left an at 4 and no one told me who I was meant to be with, the manager had already left and some other man came in, took me to one side and said "What's your name and what are you meant to be doing" I explained it was only my second shift but he looked angry and said "What did your trainer say about how you've done today?" and I said "he said I did really well" which he did say even though I felt I wasn't as good and made a lot of mistakes. Then the man said "Well look, I think you've picked up some bad habits, you aren't wearing an apron for starters" Which I wasn't because I'd taken it off only 10 minutes before to do the cleaning and forgot to put it back on and no one reminded me to. Then he said he knew I was meant to be there 'til 5 as I said that was my shift but said it was up to me if I wanted to go home now (this was at 4:10) and by the tone in his voice I could tell he thought I better leave.

The whole thing has got me down and I'm really not enjoying it so far, no one seems to be particularly friendly to me, I don't know what I'm doing half the time and every time I think about going in I feel sick :frown:
Also, I wasn't aware you got one half hour break on a 9 hour shift. Had mine at 11 yesterday so was working none stop on my feet for 5, could have been 6 hours straight, wasn't offered a drink or anything.
I feel really depressed and dreading my third shift on Thursday.

My first shift went alright, a lad not much older than myself trained me up and I didn't make too many mistakes, he said I did really well and that was that.

Had my second shift yesterday from 8 a.m 'til 5 pm, well that's what it was supposed to be. I came in, got changed into my uniform in a dirty, horrible toilet. Left my own clothes and phone in a bag on a bench in the bathroom next to the toilet as no one's given me a locker. Was with the same lad being trained on breakfast and then back to the meat again but as the day went on and it got busier I felt like a spare part, kept feeling awkward having to ask where things were because people kept coming up to me and giving me stuff to do like cleaning and re-stocking etc and I found it really tough seeing as it was only my second shift. Then the lad that had been training me left an at 4 and no one told me who I was meant to be with, the manager had already left and some other man came in, took me to one side and said "What's your name and what are you meant to be doing" I explained it was only my second shift but he looked angry and said "What did your trainer say about how you've done today?" and I said "he said I did really well" which he did say even though I felt I wasn't as good and made a lot of mistakes. Then the man said "Well look, I think you've picked up some bad habits, you aren't wearing an apron for starters" Which I wasn't because I'd taken it off only 10 minutes before to do the cleaning and forgot to put it back on and no one reminded me to. Then he said he knew I was meant to be there 'til 5 as I said that was my shift but said it was up to me if I wanted to go home now (this was at 4:10) and by the tone in his voice I could tell he thought I better leave.

The whole thing has got me down and I'm really not enjoying it so far, no one seems to be particularly friendly to me, I don't know what I'm doing half the time and every time I think about going in I feel sick :frown:

hey at least you got the job!:tongue: i got rejected after my interview:cry:
Hi Guys, I got through the group interview and have my OJE/Interview on Wednesday. I was just wondering what to expect from both parts and how to make a good impression? Thankyou :smile:
Original post by Movember
hey at least you got the job!:tongue: i got rejected after my interview:cry:

Feeling like I'd rather not have it at the moment. Hopefully it gets better but yesterday's shift was pretty horrible.
Reply 6317
Also, I wasn't aware you got one half hour break on a 9 hour shift. Had mine at 11 yesterday so was working none stop on my feet for 5, could have been 6 hours straight, wasn't offered a drink or anything.

When I worked at McDonalds you were allowed to get a drink when you wanted one. They had small cups for staff to use.

If you want a drink, you just need to ask a manager "is it ok to grab a drink?" and they'll say yes. Some don't mind you not asking but some do so best to just in case.

Regarding breaks you should have had 45mins- did they tell you to come back half an hour later or did you assume it was just 30 mins?

From the handbook:
Adult Workers (aged 18 and over) are entitled to a 20 minute uninterrupted break during shifts of six hours or over.
Young Workers (over school leaving age but under 18) are entitled to a 30 minute uninterrupted break during shifts of four and a half hours or over.
Your manager will confirm when you will receive your break. Every effort will be made to give you a break at the mid point of your shift.

McDonald's break allowances are:
Daily Hours Worked Breaks
Up to three hours No break
Over three hours and up to four hours 15 minutes
Over four hours and up to five hours 30 minutes
Over five hours and up to ten hours 45 minutes
Over ten hours One x 45 minutes and one x 20 minutes

Try not to be disheartened by your 2nd shift. It sounds like your first one went really well. I was lucky and had a nice couple people on my first 3 shifts but just keep asking and then trying to get faster and just look for something to do. If there's only 1 of something left make a couple more if it's late, or do a full run of them if it's mid - day, clean the sides, grills, even sweep if it looks like it. I'm still getting used to when to clean certain things etc. and feel like a spare part something but it gets easier :smile:

I'd say give it a bit longer to see if you feel better, but if not and they really aren't treating you with respect etc. then look elsewhere.
Reply 6319
I came in, got changed into my uniform in a dirty, horrible toilet. Left my own clothes and phone in a bag on a bench in the bathroom next to the toilet as no one's given me a locker.

No one will ever give you a locker. You need to find an empty locker at the beginning of your shift, put your stuff in it and lock it with your own padlock.
At the end of your shift you empty the locker and take your padlock home so that other people can then use the locker.
The reason for this is that typically there aren't enough lockers to supply every crew member with one even when they aren't working. There should be sufficient lockers for all the crew working.

In theory you can also ask the shift manager to keep any valuables in the safe during your shift. However this is probably more hassle than its worth.

Latest