The Student Room Group

Graduate job interview - but would rather have internship and complete masters

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Smack
From what I've seen, 28-33K is an extremely common starting salary in the oil industry for a large services company, whereas for the operators it's typically between 35-40K, with the majors being at the higher end and the independents on the lower end. Not sure about salary progression since I'm not that far yet (although there are plenty of rumours floating about from my course mates but I'd be somewhat reluctant to believe them) but if you get to go offshore then you'll typically be paid between 100-200 pounds for every night you spend there. You obviously get much more opportunity to go offshore if you're a drilling engineer which is why drilling engineer salaries are typically quite high. You don't get so much by just staying in the office, but being offshore isn't for everyone and I'm quite reluctant to commit myself to a job that'll be almost exclusively offshore when I don't know much about it, nor whether I'd even be any use there due to my seasickness (can't get seasick on dry land).

Can I ask which company you applied to please?
Original post by schoolrun
Can I ask which company you applied to please?

Just a Norwegian drilling and well and reservoir management contractor.

I turned down the job in the end and they said that while they cannot guarantee that there'll be a position next year they'll welcome my application again.

Slightly regret it now given that my exams so far haven't went particularly well and the job only required a 2:2 whereas a I need at least a 2:1 to progress to masters. :frown:
Reply 22
Original post by Smack
Just a Norwegian drilling and well and reservoir management contractor.

I turned down the job in the end and they said that while they cannot guarantee that there'll be a position next year they'll welcome my application again.

Slightly regret it now given that my exams so far haven't went particularly well and the job only required a 2:2 whereas a I need at least a 2:1 to progress to masters. :frown:

Any particular reason why youre inclined towards doing a masters?
Original post by schoolrun
Any particular reason why youre inclined towards doing a masters?

Several reasons.

Firstly, it was always a personal goal of mine to get a masters level degree.

Secondly, it's a requirement for a lot of graduate positions that I'm interested in.

Thirdly, another year really gives me time to make sure I select the right job when I graduate. I only applied to one graduate job (the one mentioned in this thread) and that wasn't with the intention of actually taking a graduate position immediately. Your first job is important because it can help set you up for the rest of your life and before I choose one I'd like to have known that I had weighed up all my options, done some proper research into the industry to make sure that the company is one of the best in their field with excellent career opportunities. I didn't really know anything about the company or the drilling industry when I was at the interview and I don't want to take the first thing that comes along.

The interview was good experience though. Right after it I had an interview for an internship with a large FTSE 100 company which I got. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending