The Student Room Group

Dreadlocks

I'm planning to put in dreadlocks soon, and I was wondering if anyone else here had them. If so, I'd love to hear about experiences, how you put them in, how long you've had them and any info or advice you can give!
Reply 1
Hey recently put in my dreads a month and a half ago. Did the whole twist and rip method but apart from that letting them grow all natural. So far they look great I would defiantly recommend this method, easy to do, doesn't damage your hair and leaves you with dread looking hair pretty quickly. Have you put yours in yet??? And no crocheting or wax at all!!!! That stuff kills your dreads

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by That_man
Hey recently put in my dreads a month and a half ago. Did the whole twist and rip method but apart from that letting them grow all natural. So far they look great I would defiantly recommend this method, easy to do, doesn't damage your hair and leaves you with dread looking hair pretty quickly. Have you put yours in yet??? And no crocheting or wax at all!!!! That stuff kills your dreads

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I haven't put them in yet, I'm planning to do it next week or so. I will be using wax, I've done tons of research and most of the bad stuff about it is just urban myths. Did you use hairbands to keep yours together at the roots and/or ends at all?
Yeah my plan is to start them now and they should be fairly mature by the time I go back to college in September (fingers crossed).
Reply 4
Nah didnt use hair bands or anything, just went for it. Dunno I've got quite a few friends who have older more mature dreads (3-6 years) who say never to use wax and that everytime they've tried it it always does more harm. True though that not using wax will mean your hair takes longer to lock up but you do end up with far healthier dreads. Apart from that good luck with your dread journey :smile:
Original post by That_man
Nah didnt use hair bands or anything, just went for it. Dunno I've got quite a few friends who have older more mature dreads (3-6 years) who say never to use wax and that everytime they've tried it it always does more harm. True though that not using wax will mean your hair takes longer to lock up but you do end up with far healthier dreads. Apart from that good luck with your dread journey :smile:

I think quite often it causes problems if people use too much or at the wrong times, but I've done my research so I think I know what I'm doing. And thanks!
Update: dreadlocks in. I didn't leave hairbands in in the end, although I might put them back in before I wash them the first time. I used wax too, and although they feel a bit sticky, they are staying together pretty well so far, and they actually look like deadlocks! :gah: I've heard some horror stories about wax online so I'm going to try to keep the amount I use to a minimum, but I'm pretty sure if I do everything right it should be OK. :biggrin:
Had a question, and thought I'd just tag it onto the end of this thread :smile:

I've made one test dreadlock at the back of my hair and a, planning to leave it for a month or two before I decide whether or not to do my whole head.

Just wondering though, about an inch and a half at the end is V. loose- anything I can do about it? Or is it just a case of leaving it to lock up a bit over time?
I think basically it just takes time. You could try re-backcombing the tip a few times if you can. There's also a loose hair tool which you can buy from dreadheadhq, which can be used to make blunt tips (I've never used it myself).

Update on mine: I've had to temporarily brush them out again to wash all the wax out, because it's really difficult to wash and I decided I didn't want it staying in my hair. Will be putting them back in, without wax, next week. :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest