The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by StacFace
Ignoring the price tags they're nice but they're not really suitable for clubbing, though I don't think the second would be too bad. If I was to wear them then I'd probably wear the first on a cruise ship, the second at a meal for an older relative's birthday and the third to a professional function.

Give me one good reason they aren't suitable for clubbing, besides "you'd stand out" which, really, isn't a reason anyway when 95% dress like complete sluts.

In fact, more generally, what is suitable for clubbing, in your opinion? Pics would be ideal.
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
It looks like a tacky prom dress, not the sort of thing you'd wear to a club...maybe a 16th birthday party or something! I guess everyone has different ideas of what's stylish though...

That dress isn't tacky. :unimpressed:
My best friend is one of these girls that looks 'cheap' on a night out, with little shorts and tight tops, but she only wears it because she feels confident when she does. While I would never wear what she does, I think half of it is that she loves the attention and the other half is that it's sort of peer pressure seeing everyone else at a club wearing certain clothes and you feel overdressed or whatever. The last time I went out I just wore shorts, a top and flat shoes and I did feel really out of place.
Reply 83
1) What you see girls wear out in clubs is what's available at the time in Primark. (okay, the rest of the high-street shops too, but a good percentage of it WILL be Primark) ... Us girls have an awful tendency to buy new going out clothes every chance we get because GOD FORBID we're seen in the same outfit twice within a short period of time. You can get away with it if you're going to different places and/or are with different people, but then again, there WILL be Facebook photos.
Also- many girls (specifically not generalizing to all girls because I know it doesn't apply to everyone) don't want to be seen in old clothes either. Girls, you've all been in that situation. You have a really cute dress that you haven't worn in years, but there's going to be someone there who bought the same dress at the same time (because it was from New Look at £15 and the whole population of <insert town here> went out and bought it. Do you risk it?

2) IF a girl is going out with the intention of hooking up, she will dress to impress. Boys are attracted to boobs, she will show boobs. Sad and undignified, but true.

3) Being able to wear short dresses and skirts, going bare-legged and wearing low-cut, revealing tops/dresses takes balls. She might just be wearing that particular outfit because she's feeling confident enough to do so. I know when I'm feeling more confident I want to show it :biggrin:
Reply 84
Yes. The only reason girls go out to a club is because they're looking for a cheap and easy lay. :banghead:

Are you really that much of a moron to think that.

<3 x
Reply 85
My profile pic is a picture of me out clubbing, and personally I don't consider it slutty.
My skirt might be considered quite short but its honestly only like that because I dance like hell and if its long it'll just ride up anyway. I NEVER reveal too much just cause 1. I'm not comfortable with that 2. I know what boys think of girls who do (which is both good and bad), 3. I'm confident and satisfied with my body and looks (took a long time though!) and 4. I go to clubs to dance (I'm brazilian hence any chance I get to dance I will take) and have a good time with my friends not with the aim/goal/intention of getting with boys.
If guys come up to me its because they see me having a good time and want to see what I'm always smiling and laughing about and want to join the fun haha
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 86
Original post by Astronomical
Give me one good reason they aren't suitable for clubbing, besides "you'd stand out" which, really, isn't a reason anyway when 95% dress like complete sluts.

In fact, more generally, what is suitable for clubbing, in your opinion? Pics would be ideal.

Ok, another reason is that you'd get too hot in such a long dress if you actually stayed in the club and danced. If I wore something like that I'd either not dance at all in which case I may as well have gone to a pub where there's no entry fee or I'd have to keep popping outside every few minutes to cool down and end up stood with the smokers which isn't exactly pleasant.

As for what I'd wear clubbing I have this in green:

and this (it's a playsuit and it does cover my bum):

and this in bright red:

Original post by Astronomical

Personally, I would never wear one of those dresses for going out because they all look pretty uncomfortable to dance in. The first one is too long to not trip over/have people step on it, the second one has long sleeves (which mean absolute death when you're dancing in most clubs I've been in), and the third one... just doesn't look particularly comfortable to really move your legs in. Buuut of course it depends on why a person is going out.

I usually go out to dance, so I'll wear whatever I think will be comfortable for that-- whether skirts, jeans, or shorts. ^^ On the other hand, I don't wear make-up on normal days, so there is definitely an element of 'dressing up' and looking 'special' that I like about going out (and I assume (some) other girls do as well)...

In the end, I think how and why a girl dresses whichever way depends mainly on what she feels like doing that night-- whether it's dancing, drinking, flirting(+more), or just plain looking (what she feels is) really hot. So I'd say that most girls actively go for clothes that will make them feel comfortable + fit what they feel like doing, no matter whether others describe them as 'cheap' or 'classy'.
The funny bit is that the girls that wear the dresses that in this thread are considered slutty don't give a **** how they come across.
I think most girls genuinely wear what makes them feel confident. For me, it varies. Sometimes I'm having a 'fat day', so when I go out I'll wear a loose dress that is slightly longer, or something generally less revealing. But if I'm feeling OK about myself, then I'm more likely to go for a pair of short-shorts and a nice top.

Yeah, sometimes girls go out wearing far too little and they look pretty awful in most people's eyes, but I can certainly envy their confidence to dress like that, even if I don't like their look myself!

Also, if we're talking clubbing, do bear in mind it gets pretty hot in a club!
Reply 90

Your getting a lot of neg, but in all honesty I'd probably have a go.
Original post by Negaduck
I feel like my IQ has actually dropped from reading this thread.

No that was just your left hand as it did its natural rhythm as you thought about the cheap and easy girls.
Anyone seen snog marry avoid? This thread reminds me of that show, proper tragic looking people. To those who don't know what I am on about, take a look :

sma1.jpg

sma2.jpg

Then in my hometown, about 80% of the girls go out like this

sma3.jpg

sma4.jpg

I could never go out like that, I wouldn't feel comfortable. I also think the makeup is far too much. Do guys really want girls like this? :s-smilie:
Reply 93
[QUOTE='rach [shikari];38667397']Anyone seen snog marry avoid? This thread reminds me of that show, proper tragic looking people. To those who don't know what I am on about, take a look :

sma1.jpg

sma2.jpg

Then in my hometown, about 80% of the girls go out like this

sma3.jpg

sma4.jpg

I could never go out like that, I wouldn't feel comfortable. I also think the makeup is far too much. Do guys really want girls like this? :s-smilie:

That blonde girl reminds me of the guy on little nikki that wore a bra on his head

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 94
Not going to lie, girls like attention as do boys, it makes everyone feel more confident about themselves. In order to get attention they have to wear something slightly revealing or that makes them look like they are up for something or drunk guys aren't going to look twice if they need to put any effort into pulling someone. Obviously this is not the case for every person. Most guys are like 'girls look better natural & more classy' but when it comes to it 9 times out of 10 they wouldn't look twice at a girl wearing trousers or longer dress whereas if someone walks past with their boobs or bum out they'll stare.
I was always the only one of my friends who didn't wear barely anything on nights out and always took a coat, because I don't like being cold! I never went out to pull, I went out to pull some shapes in clubs. :colondollar:
Reply 96
Original post by Movember
at least you are directly admitting that you do this and you do this because you love the attention. unlike some of the girls who have got defensive. do you wonder what its like for guys? they cant dress provocatively and get the same attention a girl can. for a shy guy, even one who is decent-ish looking, he could go his whole life never getting attention but a girl can slip on a tight dress and its fine for her.

I have never thought about it like that or from a guys point of view before. I guess from my experience of what I've seen, a lot of girls seem to parade themselves like peacocks for a guys attention and many guys seem to lap it up and enjoy this. Some girls go all out and will do almost anything for a bit of attention which is quite sad really. I drink and dance to the music and am myself. I guess that is my way of relaxing. I like the way guys look at me when I am all dressed up on a night out and dancing 'sexy.' But that is very different to the kind of guys I would go for for a relationship. I met my boyfriend in a club. He was shy and cute and wasn't really the best dancer but we caught eachother's eye and he smiled at me and it was a smile that I'd rarely seen in a club. It wasn't sleazy at all. It was innocent and genuine and that attracted me to him. So I think the way a guy responds/presents himself when met with a girl dancing sexy around him determines how much attention he gets. That's what I can say from my experience.
Reply 97
Original post by an44588
Bravo your post wast the most honest here so far in this thread. Its frustrating reading posts from other women claiming they dress like that 'because hots pants are comfortable' or 'those women are from a low socio-economic background'. Its all about attention and confidence and feeling good about yourself, us men need it too but we get it in different ways. Most of the posts in this thread is just pure bull ****.

Thanks. I completely agree. For me it is all about confidence and attention and tbh I do feel good about myself. I have never really thought about how a man would achieve the same effect. What would you do to feel good about yourself on a night out? How do you achieve that feeling?
Reply 98
So many hypocrites in this thread...
Reply 99
Girls in good cosplay > everything else

Latest

Trending

Trending