The Student Room Group

Will I get 'fired' if I miss work to go to the Olympics?

I can't think of any realistic excuse to miss work.

I work on Saturday and Sunday and I have to notify my manager on a Friday if I cant come in on those days.

I plan on working on a Saturday and go to the Olympics on Sunday. I am dying to go and got really good seats.

Can I just say the truth to my manager, who is not that nice? Or should i make up 'a lie'? What lie can i say?

Scroll to see replies

Food poisoning. You have to be off for 7 working days for your employer to demand evidence that you were ill
(edited 11 years ago)
Go in on Saturday, the next day don't come in - when they call sound all sad and that, then say a family emergency has occurred and you can't come in. Simples.
Sick day obviously.
I've skived off many, the best I gave was that I had the 'runs'. If you tell them this, they wont question you too much or even at all if lucky..
Reply 5
Call them in the morning and say you're throwing up - stomach bug/food poisoning. It happens, just only use the excuse when you really need to and no one will even think of being suspicious :smile:.
Dead/dying relative... They don't like asking too many questions!

Just make sure your face isn't on TV, then you will get fired! And rightly so!
(edited 11 years ago)
this is how a real man does it

[video="youtube;fSd6JJVsRyU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSd6JJVsRyU[/video]
Go to work you lazy bastard.
Reply 9
Original post by james3334

I work on Saturday and Sunday and I have to notify my manager on a Friday if I cant come in on those days.

I plan on working on a Saturday and go to the Olympics on Sunday. I am dying to go and got really good seats.

Can I just say the truth to my manager, who is not that nice? Or should i make up 'a lie'? What lie can i say?

Absolutely not, you tell your boss you are doing the nation a favour by filling up the empty seats. That should do the trick. I hope... if not use any of the following:
1. I have got tonsillitis
2. I have got a fever
3. Had an asthma attack last night; my heart rate is abnormal.
4.My brother is being a díck so i have to babysit***

***could do without it:wink:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Original post by james3334

Just ensure you don't get caught: I think it is very likely you will be fired.
Just be careful
Your employer is expecting you to turn up and do a job of work that you get paid for. Just gaffing it off when you want and not turning up would give them grounds to discipline you. You could have asked. You haven't. Either get someone to cover it or work yourself. You said you have to tell your manager if you can't work. Tell them.
If you have tickets approach him. If not go to work.
Personally I would just tell your manager. The Olympics is a one-off event, any reasonable person would understand. I bought tickets Wednesday night and told my boss I am not coming in on Friday, she was absolutely fine with it and told me to have a nice time.

If it is a problem then just call in sick or make up a family emergency. It should be fine as long as you don't do it too often.
Reply 14
If you do go to the Olympics, try to not appear prominently in any crowd shots. Your boss might happen to be watching, or see highlights, etc.
Reply 15
Firstly why didn't you just book the time off?
Whilst your at work on Saturday complain you feel ill and have a bad stomach, they'll either send you home then or tell you to have the day off tomorrow. If they don't, ring in on Sunday and say you've been throwing up and having the runs all night and by law they can't let you come in.
Don't post on Facebook or twitter that your going to the Olympics - your employer may check and stay out of the views of the cameras!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
See if you can swap a shift with someone?

Not even worth lying about.
Book holiday? Find a cover? Just ask to miss a day? How long have you had tickets, because surely most people would've had a long time to prepare.

Just be sure not to put pictures up or tell other colleagues where you actually are. If you're going under the radar, stay there.
Be honest and tell your boss that this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Alternatively, say you're sick. Would be funny if you get spotted on TV though.
Couldn't you take a sicky. Why didn't you book it as a holiday.

Imagine if you lie though. And your boss happens to be watching the olympics on the tv or pc and suddenly you appear on the screen in the audience?

Quick Reply