The Student Room Group

OCR AS Biology (F211) - Jan 2013.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Original post by Deziah
Done every past paper, wrote notes for every topic and gone over the tricky stuff yet I still don't feel prepared.

Quick Question to test:

Two plants have been set up using a potometre, plant a has a water uptake rate of 7cm every 2 hours and plant b 2 cm every 2 hours.
Explain the difference and why plant A has a higher transpiration rate then plant B?

(5marks)

This is a question i made in my head. You dont have to answer it, but its just a test, some one else feel free to answer it, but answer it in a spoiler :smile:

(Also im not a teacher)
Reply 301
Discuss the importance of cooperation between cells, tissues, organs and organ systems
Reply 302
Original post by joe1545
Quick Question to test:

Two plants have been set up using a potometre, plant a has a water uptake rate of 7cm every 2 hours and plant b 2 cm every 2 hours.
Explain the difference and why plant A has a higher transpiration rate then plant B?

(5marks)

This is a question i made in my head. You dont have to answer it, but its just a test, some one else feel free to answer it, but answer it in a spoiler :smile:

(Also im not a teacher)

Question is too vague in my opinion, it doesn't specify if the conditions are the same or not. If the conditions are the same then you would need to talk about how they are adapted to reduce water loss, Plant B's stomata are sunken into pits which shelters them from the wind and reduces transpiration rate, the epidermis of plant B has more hair to trap air particles so the water concentration gradient is lowered, Plant B may have curled leaves which also trap water molecules which lowers transpiration rate and have a reduced exposed surface area for transpiration, moreover Plant B may have fewer stomata so less water loss.

Or if based on conditions Plant B is in dark/ low temperature/ low wind/ humid conditions.

Original post by theworld
Discuss the importance of cooperation between cells, tissues, organs and organ systems

Good question.

In the multicellular body the cells are specialized as a result they are more effective at completing a certain role than an unspecialized cell would be, however due to this it means that they cannot carry out all tasks and need to depend on other cells to complete a task they cannot, for example the Palisades cells are good at photosynthesizing but are no good in taking up ingredients needed for photosynthesis, they must reply on the root hair cells to take up mineral ions and water etc.

would that be along the right lines?
(edited 11 years ago)
Any predictions as to what could come up? :smile:
Reply 304
I don't get magnification, can someone get examples, as it's imperative for the exam. Much appreciated
Reply 305
Original post by joe1545
Quick Question to test:

(5marks)

(Also im not a teacher)

Spoiler

Reply 306
Does anybody know where I could find past papers from 2008 and earlier? As on the OCR website I can only find ones as far back as 2009.
Thanks
Original post by Harriet : )
Any predictions as to what could come up? :smile:

I reckon the heart and the majority been based on plants but that's my opinion :colondollar:
Original post by Gotzz
Does anybody know where I could find past papers from 2008 and earlier? As on the OCR website I can only find ones as far back as 2009.
Thanks

Pre-2009 the module was called 2801(Biology Foundation). Some questions are also included in 2803/1 (Transport). Try xtremepapers.com or freeexampapers.com or pastpapers.org. I am sure there is a way to look up legacy papers on the actual OCR website, but their new website gives me a headache.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 309
Original post by flowerscat
Pre-2009 the module was called 2801. Try xtremepapers.com or freeexampapers.com or pastpapers.org. I am sure there is a way to look up legacy papers on the actual OCR website, but their new website gives me a headache.

Reply 310
Original post by kathyw16
I reckon the heart and the majority been based on plants but that's my opinion :colondollar:

hearts and plants, my 2 weak points in biology lol, this isnt good.
Original post by lilyobz

I thought that this whole exam was on hearts and plants ... Like, that's all we learn about for this half ... o.o
Reply 312
Everytime I Google something to do with the F211 exam, this website comes up. I thought I'd just go for it and join up because I have a few concerns about this exam.
I've been revising since late October/early November time and as a result was getting very stressed out and overwhelmed by all the content I hadn't learnt yet. I was advised by teachers to slow down and take a break and over the past few weeks I've picked it all up again. I don't feel underprepared but when answering past papers the answers I put are technically correct just missing the key words...Any advice?
Absolutely dreading suggest questions. :erm:

Thanks,
Tayla
Reply 313
Original post by Tayla013
Everytime I Google something to do with the F211 exam, this website comes up. I thought I'd just go for it and join up because I have a few concerns about this exam.
I've been revising since late October/early November time and as a result was getting very stressed out and overwhelmed by all the content I hadn't learnt yet. I was advised by teachers to slow down and take a break and over the past few weeks I've picked it all up again. I don't feel underprepared but when answering past papers the answers I put are technically correct just missing the key words...Any advice?
Absolutely dreading suggest questions. :erm:

Thanks,
Tayla

It's just a case of memorizing the mark scheme and understanding what the examiners are asking, for example you wouldn't say the ventricle pumps the blood, you'd say ventricular systole, you have to write what the spec says you need to know, and you should be fine.
Reply 314
Original post by Loiks94
It's just a case of memorizing the mark scheme and understanding what the examiners are asking, for example you wouldn't say the ventricle pumps the blood, you'd say ventricular systole, you have to write what the spec says you need to know, and you should be fine.

It's not even like its major keywords like that, its more missing a mark here and there but it really add's up. I done a past paper this afternoon (January 2010) and got 49/60. It doesn't sound that bad but its frustrating when it's missing a mark here and there just because I didn't put the keywords in but I knew what I was talking about :mad:

Tayla
Anyone who wants to answer can;

1) Describe and explain how water is moved up the xylem from the roots to the leaves (5 marks)
2) Explain how water travels up the stem and into a leaf of a dicotyledonous plant (6 marks)
Reply 316
Outline process of transpiration and how do you calculate heart rate ?
Original post by lilyobz

high five there =/ any good revision tips? I'm seriously worried about those two points in the syllabus XS
Reply 318
does anyone know where i can get jan2013 predicted mock paper please ???????
Reply 319
was going over past papers before
tissue fluid or CO2 in blood (carbonic acid, carbonic anhydrase ext) hasnt appeared at all on the last 3 papers?

Revise it. :smile:

Quick Reply