The Student Room Group

A 17 year old virgin isn't so rare that it should be "respected" right??

Well, me and my friend (both 17) went clubbing the other night, and we met 2 guys a year or so older, who we talked and danced with. We then went outside and me and my friend were abit drunk :o: although I think the guys were sober :s-smilie:

Anyway, they asked us if we were virgins, and I remember being really reluctant to say (seeing as we'd just met them I didn't want to tell them my personal business!) and I refused to say for ages, but then they kept asking, so to shut them up I admitted I was, but I was very pissed off now and annoyed at being asked this by someone I hardly knew. But then one of them started saying how much they respected me as there are hardly any virgins who are 17

and this has really hit home with me, cause before that night I thought it was normal to be a virgin at 17, so why the hell would it be respected:confused: So now I feel wierd with being a virgin at this age even though I didn't before, cause before I didn't even think about it, I just assumed that alot of people my age were virgins :s-smilie: I didn't think a 17 year old virgin was so rare that it had to be "respected"

Scroll to see replies

I don't think it's strange at all. It was probably just their way of chatting you up!
bibliotheque
I don't think it's strange at all. It was probably just their way of chatting you up!

True, although this is very weird, but do remember, they are male, and when trying to chat somebody gorgeous up they may well have had a "nothing to say moment" :laughing:
There's nothing wrong with being a virgin, wait until you find a guy you love and who loves you back before losing it, don't just jump into bed with anyone just so you can say your not a virgin.
Reply 4
Nope it's normal.

They were probably just trying to sound smooth or something
Reply 5
It's not unusual, nor is it something to be conscious about. Those guys sound like idiots, what kind of chat up line is "are you a virgin?". Next time steer clear!
Reply 6
They were just trying to unvirginify you, so tried to be charming and that.
Reply 7
Anonymous
There's nothing wrong with being a virgin, wait until you find a guy you love and who loves you back before losing it, don't just jump into bed with anyone just so you can say your not a virgin.

Out of interest, why anonymous?

And i agree, being a virgin at 17 is quite common. Hell, there are still quite a few virgins at uni...probably trying to flirt with you badly or something :dontknow:
Reply 8
yeah they were trying to make you feel insecure and a 'freak' and then sleep with them, you are not and you should not, there have been many threads on here on this topic, dont worry, just wait till you meet the right guy and it feels right.
There aren't that many girls I know who were virgins at 17. But I don't think that means that someone who is should be respected any more than any other girl. For all anyone knows, the virgin just might not have had the opportunity, whereas the non-virgin met someone they loved at 15.

Sorry for that mini rant. You aren't a freak for being a virgin at 17, but equally it is perhaps uncommon enough that some people might be surprised.
Try 18 year old virgin. (Me)
Maybe the people in their social circle had sex early so it was weird for them to hear that you were a virgin.

17 isn't late to be a virgin! It's nothing to worry about :hugs:
Reply 12
Anonymous
Try 18 year old virgin. (Me)

Reply 13
I think the average age at which one loses their virginity is 17, so I wouldn't worry about it.
Reply 14
Nah I don't think it's anything weird but it is less common now and probably is summat that should be respected, it shows good qualities in a girl. If I was drunk or not I'd tell the other person that it was a respectable thing if it came up and not be trying to get them into bed...
Reply 15
As long as you're not a 40 year old virgin.
Reply 16
tommm
I think the average age at which one loses their virginity is 17, so I wouldn't worry about it.

:hmmm: Research in America has shown it to be 20-24.
Reply 17
If you thought it was completely normal to be a virgin at 17 why were you so reluctant to 'admit' it? :s-smilie:
Reply 18
It sounds like they were just pervs and wanted to get in your panties. 17 year old virgins aren't that rare.
Reply 19
If it was that rare the film would be called "The 17 year old virgin". Trust me its not rare at all. Maybe a little uncommon..but not rare.

Latest

Trending

Trending