The Student Room Group

The best universities for film and tv production?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
TuckingFypo™
Isn't Bournemouth meant to be good for this type of stuff?

Very good indeed, i've just started the tv prod course in september and it's fantastic, in 2nd term and it's getting better. Either course you choose, if another group need help then try to, if it's extras/actors or sound stuff.
Reply 21
Hey there!

I am interested in the same course: Film and television production and unfortunately only few universitys offer the course.

I chose York St John for the course as it is the only university that offers two weeks work exsperiene, 10 week interniship and a chance to study abroad during the course.

I suggest picking York St John as it offers work expserience and it will give you an edge over other aplicant to a job within the industry because you would have quite a lot of exsperience and others would have little or none at all exsept perhaps a degree in teh course.
Reply 22
Ickle2
Hey there!

I am interested in the same course: Film and television production and unfortunately only few universitys offer the course.

I chose York St John for the course as it is the only university that offers two weeks work exsperiene, 10 week interniship and a chance to study abroad during the course.

I suggest picking York St John as it offers work expserience and it will give you an edge over other aplicant to a job within the industry because you would have quite a lot of exsperience and others would have little or none at all exsept perhaps a degree in teh course.

ah thanks alot thats the kind of thing i've been looking for i shall lookin into it =)
HELLLPPPPPPPPPP!!!!

I am looking to study film/ tv prouduction.

Where is the best place to study? and what are the usual entry requirements, other than academic obviously? will they want a portfolio/showreel and work experience?
Not York St. John. After months of me waiting to get a reply I emailed them asking what was taking so long (fairly politely) only to be told that they had received too many applications and were going to offer me a different course! They gave my ICT (Web development) with English Language ...

And I was only interviewed by Gloucestershire University (which I absolutely loved) and did not require a portfolio, showreel or work experience. Of course, it's always better to have those things. I didn't even do a media-based A level and I got an offer of 260 UCAS points, which is fairly good.
LastLordofTime
Not York St. John. After months of me waiting to get a reply I emailed them asking what was taking so long (fairly politely) only to be told that they had received too many applications and were going to offer me a different course! They gave my ICT (Web development) with English Language ...

And I was only interviewed by Gloucestershire University (which I absolutely loved) and did not require a portfolio, showreel or work experience. Of course, it's always better to have those things. I didn't even do a media-based A level and I got an offer of 260 UCAS points, which is fairly good.

Wtf, you applied for television production and they offered you... ICT with English? Thats weiiiird. You'd think they'd offer you film studies or media studies or something like that instead :tongue:
hi Iv got offers for Southampton Solent and uni of Hertfordshire but im really confused about how well respected the courses are and where to go. iv applied for the televsion production; documentary course at Herts and the television and video production course at Southampton. What you guys think? please help.
Reply 27
Please help me i want to do a film production course and have decided my two choices firm Thames Valley video production and film studies and insurance farnham surrey film production have i made the right choices i was equally impressed by both uni's and courses but what are the rep for both of these uni's and how they teach there courses
I think Bournemouth is good for those sort of courses.
Papo1489
Please help me i want to do a film production course and have decided my two choices firm Thames Valley video production and film studies and insurance farnham surrey film production have i made the right choices i was equally impressed by both uni's and courses but what are the rep for both of these uni's and how they teach there courses

No disrespect but hasn't Thames Valley got a dreadul reputation? It's one of the worst in the country isn't it?
Reply 30
spacecowboy_89
No disrespect but hasn't Thames Valley got a dreadul reputation? It's one of the worst in the country isn't it?

I haven't a clue about reputation for english universities when i went to the open day it seemed like a pretty good place, but thames valley has three campus's it could be another one that is bringing the other campus's down
Hey, can someone give his/her opinions about the following unis and the courses:
- Westminster University: Broadcast TV Production
- Middlesex Uni: TV Production
- Greenwich Uni: Film&TV Production?

Their quality? Facilities? Staff? Prospects?

Thanks a lot! Coz I gotta reply to my offers and dunno what to choose!
Reply 32
well i changed my choice of firm to the university of creative arts, which has a dedicated facitliy to film production/among other creative subjects which is amazing, it is also meant to have a great rep like one of the best for filming from what i've puck up from other threads, websites, and people.

though i heard westminster wasn't the best, it offers top facilities but i hear the lecturers aren't great, also new bucks excepted me in straight away no interview nothing, plus i heard the facilities weren't great

cheers for the previous advice on thames valley i'd have made an awful mistake choosing a not so good uni over one of the best for film
Reply 33
Thames is awful.

Westminster or the London College of Communications are better in the London Area.
Reply 34
im actually going to university of creative arts farnham its also one of the best in the country for media and there film course is one to rival bournmouth, the facilities are execellent as well are the lectures as from my experience when i had the last interview and missed the tour he spent his own time showing me around the grounds which i thought was execellent, the massive sets looked class, as well did the editing suites, i applied for bucks as well but i heard an awful lot of bad rumours, didn't get into bournmouth but was just as happy as i would have been getting into uca, i definitly recommend looking into
Reply 35
im applying for Bournemouth Middlesex Gloustershire westminster and leeds

apperntly Leeds isnt skill set acreddited but the course there looked amazing im puzzled as to hy they havnt been acreddited

out of them i want to go to bounremouth i have heard wonders about it. could anyone please fill me in on the rest how they course is and campus and uni life thanks
Reply 36
Erin_Mairead
at the moment all i have chosen is

Middlesex and New Bucks

but i've heard bad things about them both

hey, i was JUST about to post a thread the same as this! but i was going to mention some unis, but reading this thread has got me worried, some of the places people are saying are great i haven't even looked at! :s-smilie: maybe i should give them a glance :biggrin:
Reply 37
Bournemouth is REALLY hard to get into, you HAVE to know your stuff or they won't even consider you. Southampton Solent Uni is the Skillset Academy for the South East and I know they have contracts/contacts with industry, cos I asked.
Reply 38
If you want emphasis on film, then i'd recommend:

London College of Communication, Film and Video
http://www.lcc.arts.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/ba_film_and_video.htm#

Westminster Film School, Film and TV Production
http://www.wmin.ac.uk/mad/page-1970
hey this is excatly what i need. i want to in the end be a camera operator i know gona take ages but ya know.
so i wana do a film and tv production degree and im not sure what unis are best but havent got massive ucas point.
i live in surrey bascially by london but i dont want to go way to far away from home like leeds or anything so if you know any good unis but not massively outrage ucas points please point me in the right direction :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending