The Student Room Group

Where did you work for work experience whilst at Secondary school?

Scroll to see replies

A week at my local newspaper office, I won't name it because it was dire. They didn't give me anything to do at all, even though I kept asking for some work. The only redeeming feature of it was the fact that the dynamics of the people who worked there fitted that of The Office-there was a cranky boss out of touch with reality complete with huge ego, a jokey reject who made me laugh, a simpering side kick to the boss, and a few bitter women. :biggrin:

Not the best introduction to the world of journalism, has to be said.
My school doesn't let us do work experience until we're in the 6th form. Mine's at Easter - a week in the Physics + astronomy department at Southampton uni ^^ -dances- I'm so excited!
Reply 62
Snookercraze
I did two weeks at Boots.

me too :biggrin: free stuff rocked!
Sockpirate
My school doesn't let us do work experience until we're in the 6th form. Mine's at Easter - a week in the Physics + astronomy department at Southampton uni ^^ -dances- I'm so excited!

That sounds positively beneficial-damn you! :biggrin:
Reply 64
Was meant to do a week at a primary school but never got round to it.
Reply 65
i spent 2 weeks at an infant school where my little brother and sister used to go (i didn't, we switched schools to there when i was in yr3)
Reply 66
I did mine at an office ina college... wasnt too bad.

I have a question though... Realistically, does working for 2 weeks on a casual basis really improve your CV much at all? Im wanting to do some more "work experience" over the summer holidays this year (because I cant find any paid work) and Im wondering if it would really improve my CV.
Dr Acula
me too :biggrin: free stuff rocked!

What did you get for a leaving gift?

I got a box of Belgian chocolates, a Boots watch, parker pen and something else (cant remember).
Concept
I did mine at an office ina college... wasnt too bad.

I have a question though... Realistically, does working for 2 weeks on a casual basis really improve your CV much at all? Im wanting to do some more "work experience" over the summer holidays this year (because I cant find any paid work) and Im wondering if it would really improve my CV.

I agree. I dont think WE really helps.

The summer placement should be of some help.
Reply 69
a local newspaper
I wanted to be a ranger. And I got this, but really it was just a weeks work of sheep dipping (awesome), fence fixing (ok banter), deer stalking (an adventure), road building (horrendous in the gales), driving JCB's (excellent), and burning scrap wood (good). And there was some other stuff I did too but don't want this to be a long post.

After the end of the week, I knew that, while I love being outside and doing physical work, I want a job that pays a lot more and has more prospects.
I went round with an electrician (employed by my dad since he was the company's regional director at the time), testing houses and fitting sockets on building sites. :smile:
A quarry. It was awesome.
Reply 73
1 week at pharmacy

1 week at post office lol
ItsLikeThat
That sounds positively beneficial-damn you! :biggrin:

Haha - hopefully it will be! The person who's organised it said that she'll arrange -daily lunchtime meetings with physicists and astronomers to answer any questions I may have' :thumbsup:
Reply 75
Snookercraze
I agree. I dont think WE really helps.

The summer placement should be of some help.

Thing is, the guy at the place I have lined up says he can only take me for a couple of weeks :frown:

I might try and find something else as well for another 2 weeks in the holidays...
Reply 76
I was a gardener at a local hotel.
Concept
Thing is, the guy at the place I have lined up says he can only take me for a couple of weeks :frown:

I might try and find something else as well for another 2 weeks in the holidays...

If you have no holiday planned, I suggest you do look for something else.

Im starting a placement at a solicitor's firm tomorrow.... I just hope they keep me on.
Reply 78
I didn't do it as I was too lazy to sort something out and so had to stay at school for those two weeks along with about 6/7 others who didn't sort anything out. It was bloody brilliant, we literally spent about two weeks watching videos and playing games.

It was much better than spending two weeks working for a company where they wouldn't let you do anything because of your age and you didn't get paid.
Reply 79
Snookercraze
If you have no holiday planned, I suggest you do look for something else.

Im starting a placement at a solicitor's firm tomorrow.... I just hope they keep me on.

My family will be going on holiday I think, but my mum says I should stay at home if I get the chance to work. Im not sure yet, depends if they decide to go somewhere nice or if they go camping in a depressing, wet valley in Wales somewhere lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending