The Student Room Group

Student Finance Applications - Q & A

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
It says I can have £3k ish maintenance loan, though seeing as the uni I was applying to is in London I was expecting a lot more. Does this apply for Imperial, and should it change later?
Reply 81
EagleHawk
Hey All,
Just to inform you that you can now apply online for Student Finance for the 09/10 year.

Go to this page to apply:
http://www.studentfinance.direct.gov.uk/portal/page?_pageid=153,4680119&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

After about an hour and a half of filling in pages and getting my parents to fill in some forms, I have successfully sent my application off. :]

Good luck everyone!

thanks for the reminder.
In the section at the beginning that asks if you are going to live at home during term time, if your not they ask for an address, what did you put there?
Also the date it asks the course starts, that surely depends on if you get your firm or not??
Ah this is gonna totally confuse me :mad:
Reply 82
alexa123
thanks for the reminder.
In the section at the beginning that asks if you are going to live at home during term time, if your not they ask for an address, what did you put there?
Also the date it asks the course starts, that surely depends on if you get your firm or not??
Ah this is gonna totally confuse me :mad:

It says to leave it blank if you don't know it yet. For the date, put the date that your firm choice starts on.
Reply 83
cosmia
It says to leave it blank if you don't know it yet. For the date, put the date that your firm choice starts on.

Okay cheers for that :smile:
Reply 84
cosmia
It says I can have £3k ish maintenance loan, though seeing as the uni I was applying to is in London I was expecting a lot more. Does this apply for Imperial, and should it change later?

There should have been a section saying whether or not your living in London or elsewhere in England or with parents. I remember doing it. My guess is that you should have checked I will be studying and living in London, but you didn't?
Reply 85
So am I right in thinking that this has to be filled in every year? or???

Also i know its a little early, :tongue: but when are the payments set to 'roll in', I heard that its in 'sections' too not all in one go? sorry for the slight-off-topic ness!
Reply 86
JayB23
So am I right in thinking that this has to be filled in every year? or???

Also i know its a little early, :tongue: but when are the payments set to 'roll in', I heard that its in 'sections' too not all in one go? sorry for the slight-off-topic ness!

I think for current students all they have to do is update their finance information for the previous year to check and see if they are still eligable.

And also the payments start when you go to university or so I believe. So I think like a week before you go, the money will go into your account. And yeh I believe it's termly installments.
Reply 87
Just quickly, when my mum tries to select what evidence she can send in, it comes up with an 'exception' error and asks us to ways 24 hours while an administrator sorts it out

Had anyone else had this error before?
Reply 88
EagleHawk
There should have been a section saying whether or not your living in London or elsewhere in England or with parents. I remember doing it. My guess is that you should have checked I will be studying and living in London, but you didn't?

Can't find that- what section is it in? I've filled in all of my bit.
Reply 89
cosmia
Can't find that- what section is it in? I've filled in all of my bit.

Bleh. Scratch that. I just looked on my submitted application and there's no such question. Maybe I'm going crazy. Sorry for worrying you :P

I think it should be fine. As long as you put a London university as your firm I'm sure they will know that you need the London loans/grants.
Do anyone now when the student finance applications are open for students living in Wales?
Reply 91
cherrion
Just quickly, when my mum tries to select what evidence she can send in, it comes up with an 'exception' error and asks us to ways 24 hours while an administrator sorts it out

Had anyone else had this error before?

Nope, can't say I've had that error. I'm guessing you should just do as it says and wait the 24 hours. There are still a lot of bugs and stuff, and they are probably fixing this particular one.
Reply 92
History Rocks
Do anyone now when the student finance applications are open for students living in Wales?

Sometime after this date by the looks of it. (Taken from the Student Finance Wales Site):

"Online applications for academic year 2008/09 are closing in early February. If you want to apply online for academic year 2008/09 you must make sure you have completed and submitted your application before 9am on Friday 6th February 2009."

It's after that date so I'm guessing it will be sometime next week. It won't be tomorrow as they don't work/update websites on weekends or so I believe.
Im a returning student in 09/10 -can I still apply for my loan NOW? . .
Reply 94
DancinBallerina
Im a returning student in 09/10 -can I still apply for my loan NOW? . .

I wouldn't, mine is all a bit spazzy lol
cosmia

Mine says £4988. Don't know what's with yours. Have you definitely put a London uni as the one you're attending? I've set mine to say UCL and I've got nearly 5k. £3K ish is for outside of London, as far as I know...

Also, this is such an anti climax. My parents can't fill in the rest of it for another month and a half yet!
Reply 96
I've put Imperial College London. I know it's not University of London, but it's a London university.
I'm on this bit:

You may be eligible for a Special Support Grant to help with costs such as books, equipment or travel. For the categories of eligible students, please read the help content. Do you wish to apply for Special Support Grant?

I click on the help content tab to look for the catergories and it comes up with this :

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, [email protected]ess and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Can anyone tell me what it says? Thanks
EagleHawk
Sometime after this date by the looks of it. (Taken from the Student Finance Wales Site):

"Online applications for academic year 2008/09 are closing in early February. If you want to apply online for academic year 2008/09 you must make sure you have completed and submitted your application before 9am on Friday 6th February 2009."

It's after that date so I'm guessing it will be sometime next week. It won't be tomorrow as they don't work/update websites on weekends or so I believe.

I guessed that to. :smile:

Thank you!
Reply 99
I think i'm gonna leave applying for a few weeks yet :tongue:
does anyone know what kind of identity confirmation you need to send off? like passport/birth ceritficate etc. I don't have a passport

Quick Reply

Latest