The Student Room Group

Ever have one of those days where anything that can go wrong, does?

Hey, anon please.

Well yesterday afternoon my girlfriend broke up with me. It was a pretty savage breakup, and I didn't take it so well, and decided to immediately go to bed (5pm or so) so I could be unconscious or whatever, I don't know. Basically I wanted to pass out, I was feeling really bad.

Now before I continue, right now I live in a hostel, 'cause it's cheap, and an awesome location. However I do have to share a bedroom with two other guys, who are both about 10 years older than me, and I always get the feeling that they don't like me. I mean they're usually polite to me, with the addition of a few sarcastic or backhanded remarks, and I'm polite back.

Anyway I wake up at about 1pm, and decide against going to uni that day, and was basically browsing the internet when one of my roommates comes in.

He starts having a huge go at me for no reason, telling me that going to sleep at 5pm is selfish, how him and (the third roommate) actually have to work for a living, and though he didn't care if I slept at antisocial hours, he cared if it impacted on everyone elses ability to study, and he was considering 'reporting me to management'.
He wasn't being particularly reasonable or even polite, but usually I'd have just been accepting, I'd have apologised, and told him I'd work on it. God knows I learned that from the amount fo time living with my mother. This time, however, he chose the worst moment possible, and I absolutely exploded. I made every logical and illogical argument possible, and basically told him exactly what I thought of him telling me off like a child.
This led to him saying that if I was going to act like a child, that's exactly what he'd do, and that he's not the only one who doesn't respect me, and thinks I act like one. In fact I'm one of the least liked people in the entire building.

So I leave the room before I end up punching him in the face, and phone up some friends, so I can meet up, drink, and forget everything. Apparently they've all gone somewhere without me, and assumed that they'd invited me and I just didn't want to come. So I phone up my parents, just to talk to someone, but they're on holiday with no network coverage.

So against my better judgement I phone up my ex, who mistakes my just wanting someone to talk to for me stalking her, and tells me I'm being creepy and to leave her alone before she gets her friends to *make me* leave her alone.

I figure by this point that I'd reacted too strongly to my roommate, and even though he's the biggest asshole alive, there's no point in having needless tension and besides, he didn't know about my girlfriend. So I go back to the room and apologize for my reaction. He continues having a go at me for how childishly I acted in response to a civil request, and starts another round of insults before I tell him that if it's really in his best interests to create potentially unrepairable bad feeling then go for it, but otherwise I've apologised and would rather we just forget everything.

So I grabbed my keys, and went for a walk. When I went to get some tea from starbucks, the guy behind the counter started teasing me for taking too long to decide, which made me far more angry than it would usually have. Then when I got it, he said 'there. that wasn't so hard was it'. So I threw it at his face. I can't even remember deciding to do it; first time in my life I've ever lashed out in anger at someone I didn't even know. He started yelling, and I ran for it before anyone could figure out what had just happened. Figured it was best at that point to run home, and never go near there again.

Got back in, and the guy at reception called me over. My roommate had actually reported me! I swear to god... He told me to fix my sleep problem, or find somewhere else to live.

So here I am on TSR :tongue:. This has been the worst day I've had for quite a long while, and I've only been awake for three and a half hours. So I figure if I stay indoors, I can't be permanently disfigured or beaten up or anything, so here I am eating cheesecake, watching terrible tv and surfing the internet.

I actually feel like crying.
Reply 1
Anonymous
Hey, anon please.

Well yesterday afternoon my girlfriend broke up with me. It was a pretty savage breakup, and I didn't take it so well, and decided to immediately go to bed (5pm or so) so I could be unconscious or whatever, I don't know. Basically I wanted to pass out, I was feeling really bad.

Now before I continue, right now I live in a hostel, 'cause it's cheap, and an awesome location. However I do have to share a bedroom with two other guys, who are both about 10 years older than me, and I always get the feeling that they don't like me. I mean they're usually polite to me, with the addition of a few sarcastic or backhanded remarks, and I'm polite back.

Anyway I wake up at about 1pm, and decide against going to uni that day, and was basically browsing the internet when one of my roommates comes in.

He starts having a huge go at me for no reason, telling me that going to sleep at 5pm is selfish, how him and (the third roommate) actually have to work for a living, and though he didn't care if I slept at antisocial hours, he cared if it impacted on everyone elses ability to study, and he was considering 'reporting me to management'.
He wasn't being particularly reasonable or even polite, but usually I'd have just been accepting, I'd have apologised, and told him I'd work on it. God knows I learned that from the amount fo time living with my mother. This time, however, he chose the worst moment possible, and I absolutely exploded. I made every logical and illogical argument possible, and basically told him exactly what I thought of him telling me off like a child.
This led to him saying that if I was going to act like a child, that's exactly what he'd do, and that he's not the only one who doesn't respect me, and thinks I act like one. In fact I'm one of the least liked people in the entire building.

So I leave the room before I end up punching him in the face, and phone up some friends, so I can meet up, drink, and forget everything. Apparently they've all gone somewhere without me, and assumed that they'd invited me and I just didn't want to come. So I phone up my parents, just to talk to someone, but they're on holiday with no network coverage.

So against my better judgement I phone up my ex, who mistakes my just wanting someone to talk to for me stalking her, and tells me I'm being creepy and to leave her alone before she gets her friends to *make me* leave her alone.

I figure by this point that I'd reacted too strongly to my roommate, and even though he's the biggest asshole alive, there's no point in having needless tension and besides, he didn't know about my girlfriend. So I go back to the room and apologize for my reaction. He continues having a go at me for how childishly I acted in response to a civil request, and starts another round of insults before I tell him that if it's really in his best interests to create potentially unrepairable bad feeling then go for it, but otherwise I've apologised and would rather we just forget everything.

So I grabbed my keys, and went for a walk. When I went to get some tea from starbucks, the guy behind the counter started teasing me for taking too long to decide, which made me far more angry than it would usually have. Then when I got it, he said 'there. that wasn't so hard was it'. So I threw it at his face. I can't even remember deciding to do it; first time in my life I've ever lashed out in anger at someone I didn't even know. He started yelling, and I ran for it before anyone could figure out what had just happened. Figured it was best at that point to run home, and never go near there again.

Got back in, and the guy at reception called me over. My roommate had actually reported me! I swear to god... He told me to fix my sleep problem, or find somewhere else to live.

So here I am on TSR :tongue:. This has been the worst day I've had for quite a long while, and I've only been awake for three and a half hours. So I figure if I stay indoors, I can't be permanently disfigured or beaten up or anything, so here I am eating cheesecake, watching terrible tv and surfing the internet.

I actually feel like crying.

Wow - I was going to respond with how I walked all the way from my Business School to my assignment office only to be told my assignment was only being accepted in the Business School.

It seems pale in comparison. Hope tomorrow is better for you! :redface:
Reply 2
Look at it this way; you punched a guy in the face, threw scalding tea at a barista, freaked out your ex, offended somebody just by sleeping and shirked your academic responsibilities.
OP, that's hardcore!

Why do you live in a hostel over normal student accommodation, though?
Yep, on some (rare) days I tend to get the feeling that absolutely everyone's against me, it's horrible.
Reply 4
Incredibly unfair, mind you. I thought going to bed at 5pm would actually be beneficial to other's study - you're actually taking yourself out of distractions by doing so. Do you snore loudly? (even then they could just put music on).

Anyways, :console: :hugs:
Reply 5
Haha insane. :hugs:

This sounds like the typical day in the life of one my good friends. She has the worst luck in the world. Everything pretty much that could go wrong does, and then some!
Reply 6
You're funny :smile:
As ANNOYING as this may sound....Maybe everything does happen for a reason.
Make the most of it all...

Ah man.
Reply 7
Cowtipper
Look at it this way; you punched a guy in the face, threw scalding tea at a barista, freaked out your ex, offended somebody just by sleeping and shirked your academic responsibilities.
OP, that's hardcore!

Why do you live in a hostel over normal student accommodation, though?

I didn't actually punch him in the face, but I wanted to :tongue:.

And my uni isn't that great a uni - they only have accommodation for a third of the students. This hostel however is only £70 per week in central London. Pretty good price all things considered.
One day, you'll look back at all this and laugh. Definately!
Reply 9
Woah, that IS a bad day. Your roommate sounds like an idiot.
Maybe you'll have a super good day to counteract this one!
Reply 10
Woah I feel really sorry for you OP! (Apart from the bit where you threw your drink in the barista's face- that was the act of an idiot. :/ poor guy!)

...Why was you sleeping such an offence though, I don't understand!
Reply 11
Abbbie
Woah I feel really sorry for you OP! (Apart from the bit where you threw your drink in the barista's face- that was the act of an idiot. :/ poor guy!)

...Why was you sleeping such an offence though, I don't understand!

Oh I know that! Believe me I don't make that sort of behaviour habit - I was just extremely angry and upset, and reacted pretty bad to some harmless fun-poking.

As for the sleeping, well apparently they wanted to study in the room, even though the only furniture in the room are beds and side tables, and there's two dedicated 'study rooms'. I don't really understand the guys point either. I told him about the study rooms, and he told me that if he paid for this room, he wanted to be able to study in it.
Anonymous
I didn't actually punch him in the face, but I wanted to :tongue:.

And my uni isn't that great a uni - they only have accommodation for a third of the students. This hostel however is only £70 per week in central London. Pretty good price all things considered.

Not Surprised with what ur have said OP not a bad deal for London done alright for that price...lol
Reply 13
somethingbeautiful
Well at least no one can accuse you of leading a boring life! That does sound like a deadful day - how is everything with your roomate now? Is there still tension?

Still haven't talked to him... :rolleyes:
Reply 14
That is an awful day, really hope things get better for you.
:console:
Reply 15
You threw tea in his face? ******* hell. I wouldn't get on your bad side.
Awwww, I just want to hug you! xxxx
lol That really is Murphy's law in action. Smile tomorrow will be worse!