The Student Room Group

A-levels: Relative Difficulty and Uni Admissions Selection criteria

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Whoever started this should learn to spell... CriterIa.
chelsh
Non-EU students have to compete among each other to get into limited spaces in UK universities =)

take my country ( Malaysia ) as an example.. only 10 students can get into cambridge university in a year =)

oh i see, sorry for my ignorance :biggrin:
good luck then x
Reply 142
Ok, I have an interesting question, let's take IT and ICT, which is better or are they both worth ****? And why?
I'm taking English Literature, Medieval/Early Modern History, Philosophy and French (dropping that after AS though), I'm pretty sure these are "desirable" subjects as is...but the one thing that did concern me a bit was maybe lack of breadth? I want to go on to do English (or possibly History) at Oxford, so obviously, I want to get this right before it's too late...any thoughts on whether I should change? I've already changed once from Modern History and English Language to Medieval and French, but I'm under the impression I still have some leeway.
Reply 144
chebanana
I'm taking English Literature, Medieval/Early Modern History, Philosophy and French (dropping that after AS though), I'm pretty sure these are "desirable" subjects as is...but the one thing that did concern me a bit was maybe lack of breadth? I want to go on to do English (or possibly History) at Oxford, so obviously, I want to get this right before it's too late...any thoughts on whether I should change? I've already changed once from Modern History and English Language to Medieval and French, but I'm under the impression I still have some leeway.

what makes you think your A-levels lack breadth?
Paulwhy
what makes you think your A-levels lack breadth?

Well, because "breadth" usually means that your subjects are in different fields, and mine are all in humanities/languages :s-smilie:
Reply 146
chebanana
Well, because "breadth" usually means that your subjects are in different fields, and mine are all in humanities/languages :s-smilie:

But seeing as both your interests are humanities/languages that sounds fine to me.
Paulwhy
But seeing as both your interests are humanities/languages that sounds fine to me.

Fair enough, I guess I'll just have to join the debating club or life drawing *shudder* to make myself sound less obtuse.
Im doing History, Eng lit and government and Politics, I want to take up an AS as is my last chance and I don't want to have to do General studies as is a waste of time but compulsory unless u take up an AS, what would you recommend?
TinselWorm
Im doing History, Eng lit and government and Politics, I want to take up an AS as is my last chance and I don't want to have to do General studies as is a waste of time but compulsory unless u take up an AS, what would you recommend?

Philosophy would fit nicely with those, it's not a "soft" subject, and you'd probably find it really useful in the long run. Plus - unis love it. :wink:
Reply 150
TinselWorm

Depends on what you want to do at Uni - a modern language might be a good one to complement your choices, it gives you more options and you could always do a study year abroad at Uni. It's also useful for communication skills, and some of your lessons will essentially just be nattering!

Alternatively, you could do something like Maths at AS - shows your numeracy and problem-solving skills, and is very highly regarded by Unis and employers. It's nice to have something different - it's the opposite to your case, but I do Maths, F. Maths, Chemistry and Physics, but I kept up History to AS to give me some different skills (essay-writing and all that jazz).

But anything's better than General Studies, really. Just pick something you enjoy, and won't stress you out too much. And you can always drop it if it doesn't work out.

(PS. Do you happen to like Bill Bailey by any chance?!)
Reply 151
TinselWorm

What do you want to do at uni?
I have Maths, History, Biology and Chemistry and knew they weren't exactly soft subjects when i picked them. however i want to do economics at university and at top uni's, most students have A-level economics. despite the fact that most uni's say that economics is not essential. i'm thinking of either picking up economics or F.Maths at AS whilst doing my A2's. is this a good idea, and will it help my application??
Reply 153
OnyxNation
I have Maths, History, Biology and Chemistry and knew they weren't exactly soft subjects when i picked them. however i want to do economics at university and at top uni's, most students have A-level economics. despite the fact that most uni's say that economics is not essential. i'm thinking of either picking up economics or F.Maths at AS whilst doing my A2's. is this a good idea, and will it help my application??

You should read the stickies in the economics forum (esp. TAELT 2010)and then post there.
Reply 154
Dont get any of this!

Long story short, could someone answer, Eng Lit of philosophy?
Reply 155
Cuzzz
Dont get any of this!

Long story short, could someone answer, Eng Lit of philosophy?

Long Story cut too short: much too short.
e.g. you even lose the word cut.
Also good to know:
i) what course you want to do at uni
ii) what else are you planning on studying at A-level
iii) what did you get in your GCSEs (if you don't know yet might be worth waiting a few hours to find out what you did get before replying!)
Paulwhy
What do you want to do at uni?

O sorry should have included that, i wanna do law :biggrin: didn't do it at A level as of the controversy about wether or not uni's like it.
Life saver, thanks so much!
Reply 158
TinselWorm
O sorry should have included that, i wanna do law :biggrin: didn't do it at A level as of the controversy about wether or not uni's like it.

Done a whole post on law that you may find useful:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=18974513&postcount=93

But ask your target unis what they think: (give your academic stats plus a list of AS-levels you are choosing between).
But what ever you choos, I can't see it being less respected than General Studies.
Reply 159
Prikstera
Life saver, thanks so much!

How has it saved your life?

Quick Reply

Latest