The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

the university of sussex 2010... accomodation, life at the uni, who hopes to go there

Basically I'm making this thread because I'm hearing lots of different things about sussex.

Firstly- accomodation
I keep hearing that going for the top-end accomodation (so to speak) is a waste of money. swanbourgh is boring and gets egged, and stanmer court is far and things break down. unfortunatly ive put these two as my top choices before finding this out. To what extent is this true?

What's life at Sussex like?
Is it a hard core party uni, like bournemouth for example? im up for a good time, but im not exactly a drinking person lol will i feel out of place at sussex?

and i just want to know whos hoping to go there in the coming year...

ohhh and is there any facebook group for sussex? cause i cant seem to find one!!

Any info about the above would be good
Reply 1
Hi to be honest i dont know that much! are you unconditional or conditional? because people with unconditional offers get allocated there accomodation first and so your more likely to get your first choices then! all the higher end accomodation is in high demand and so its pretty unlikely that a conditional offer gets there first choice...thats what ive been told!

Ive been out in brighton a few times and its a great night out! i suppose its like with any uni, if u dont want to go out all the time then its up to u! i havent been able to find a sussex group either so maybe there isnt one! i cant wait to go! i loved the campus...i love brighton and i love to party haha! hope this has helped abit!

what do u want to study? and whats your offer?

x
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
sophie1803
Hi to be honest i dont know that much! are you unconditional or conditional? because people with unconditional offers get allocated there accomodation first and so your more likely to get your first choices then! all the higher end accomodation is in high demand and so its pretty unlikely that a conditional offer gets there first choice...thats what ive been told!

Ive been out in brighton a few times and its a great night out! i suppose its like with any uni, if u dont want to go out all the time then its up to u! i havent been able to find a sussex group either so maybe there isnt one! i cant wait to go! i loved the campus...i love brighton and i love to party haha! hope this has helped abit!

what do u want to study? and whats your offer?

x

Ahh my offer is only conditional, its so annoying because i took a gap year to resit in order to get into sussex, as i only got BCC and for law they wanted ABB (which is the course i applied for btw) now I've got 3 Bs they wont make my offer unconditional even though they went into clearing last year for 3 Bs... and i am retaking my last two units hoping to get an A. I just wish they'd make my offer unconditional it would take the pressure off and it would help me out with accomodation! lol

I really hope that i get the accomodation i want though now it looks unlikely :frown: i did hear that apparently theres a good chance of getting into stanmer court because its kinda forgotten due to it being across the road from the uni. I loved the campus too!! sussex does seem like a really good uni in terms of uni life there!!

what are you planning to study there? and are you living on the campus.. and what halls have you applied for?
lovestruck91
Ahh my offer is only conditional, its so annoying because i took a gap year to resit in order to get into sussex, as i only got BCC and for law they wanted ABB (which is the course i applied for btw) now I've got 3 Bs they wont make my offer unconditional even though they went into clearing last year for 3 Bs... and i am retaking my last two units hoping to get an A. I just wish they'd make my offer unconditional it would take the pressure off and it would help me out with accomodation! lol

I really hope that i get the accomodation i want though now it looks unlikely :frown: i did hear that apparently theres a good chance of getting into stanmer court because its kinda forgotten due to it being across the road from the uni. I loved the campus too!! sussex does seem like a really good uni in terms of uni life there!!

what are you planning to study there? and are you living on the campus.. and what halls have you applied for?

i applied for straight law and picked swanborough and stamner too lol i need to do some research on the uni!
Reply 4
tanv91
i applied for straight law and picked swanborough and stamner too lol i need to do some research on the uni!

wooo thats really good!!! I'll see you in our law lectures lolol :smile:
what grades are you hoping to get? they went into clearing for 3 Bs last year... but obviously we cant count on that! im aiming for ABB
lovestruck91
wooo thats really good!!! I'll see you in our law lectures lolol :smile:
what grades are you hoping to get? they went into clearing for 3 Bs last year... but obviously we cant count on that! im aiming for ABB

AAB/A*BB like most people ive seen, why is your offer ABB?
Reply 6
tanv91
AAB/A*BB like most people ive seen, why is your offer ABB?

naa my offer is AAB but when i spoke to them they said that they do accept people on ABB but they obviously give higher preferance to people getting AAB.

I highly doubt that all the spaces will fill up though because not everybody gets what they expect to when the results comes out, and last year sussex even accepted people on BBB when they went into clearing, and obviously people that applied that got BBB also got a place. So my hopes are higgh :smile:
Reply 7
lovestruck91
ohhh and is there any facebook group for sussex? cause i cant seem to find one!!
The official group is here - http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=166885054145 - don't believe any of the other 'official' ones

Jo
Reply 8
Hey i applied for accomodation in late july and i still have not received my accomodation details. I heard that u get it by mid aug. I got an unconditional offer. should i get worried?
lovestruck91
Basically I'm making this thread because I'm hearing lots of different things about sussex.

Firstly- accomodation
I keep hearing that going for the top-end accomodation (so to speak) is a waste of money. swanbourgh is boring and gets egged, and stanmer court is far and things break down. unfortunatly ive put these two as my top choices before finding this out. To what extent is this true?

What's life at Sussex like?
Is it a hard core party uni, like bournemouth for example? im up for a good time, but im not exactly a drinking person lol will i feel out of place at sussex?

and i just want to know whos hoping to go there in the coming year...

Any info about the above would be good

Hi!
ive heard the same about stanmer. have you visited the campus? it is quite distanced from the rest of it.
but i think with swanborough a lot of it MAY have more to do with jealousy :tongue:
ive applied for accom with cheapest at the top to most expensive at the bottom..cos im a cheap skate. ive also heard that the social part of east slope is amazing so im down with that!
at the end of the day, if you can afford it, go for it! id love to be able to, and im sure youll make friends with people who live in east slope etc so you'll get the best of both worlds!

i hope to go there! depending on my results next week..ahhh!
and theres LOADS of sussex groups. im a member of loads haha

http://www.facebook.com/?sk=messages&tid=1454262555072#!/profile.php?id=100001132086895&ref=ts

^ theres one to start you off. youll probably find that once yo add one of the groups they dont leave you alone and you end up like me, a member of about 40 of them haah
x
Reply 10
Stanmer is very nice and is only a little further away. It only adds about a minute of walking onto wherever you're going.

Swanborough is gorgeous and people get jealous but I've never heard of any hostility towards it other than jokes about it.
I stayed in Stanmer and it is a little far off but that can be quite nice sometimes when campus is feeling a bit claustrophobic. Also it makes everyone in Stanmer quite close :tongue: Plus I found that we tended spend most of our time at other flats anyway that were nearer the centre of campus, for parties/gatherings etc, and then you get to come back to the flat (which has quite a big kitchen/bedroom) which hasn't been trashed. I didn't have a problem with anything breaking down, except the heating broke for like a day in the winter n the water stopped working for a day or two right near the end of the year. They really help you out when things go wrong though I found.

Swanborough is loooovely from when I visited, never heard anything about it being egged.

Campus - always parties going on, no matter what accomodation you're in. East Slope parties are still the best though :tongue: Nightlife in Brighton though is absolutely fantastic, so easy to just jump on/off the Lemon that take you straight from the campus. There's something for everyone in Brighton.

But yeah I'd really recommend here! Had an amazing time.

Latest

Trending

Trending