The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Gym

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
miike1234
Tuition is cheaper in America than it is in England?!! I think you've got your countries confused

For comparable schools, tuition and total cost of living is definitely cheaper in the United States! I've experienced it first hand ... :P
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 21
SaumitraB
For comparable schools, tuition and total cost of living is definitely cheaper in the United States! I've experienced it first hand ... :P

Warwick was 58th in the world last year (I know they're league tables, blah blah, but I couldn't think of a better way to compare between countries.) Wisconsin-Madison was 61st. A year's tuition there this year is $24k if you're not from Wisconsin or Minnesota or at cheapest ~$9,000 if you are from Wisconsin.

That's.. £5,800 at today's exchange rate. More than £2,000 above our tuition fees.

Not to mention you pay the same price at all unis here, to go somewhere like Harvard, you'll pay something like $30k a year just for tuition. Arguably Harvard will get you a similar standard of education to Oxbridge, yet that's far more expensive.
SaumitraB

If you want to study medicine at oxford you'll need a small student loan, if you want to study it at harvard, your parents are going to have to remortgage their home.
Reply 23
miike1234
If you want to study medicine at oxford you'll need a small student loan, if you want to study it at harvard, your parents are going to have to remortgage their home.

You're probably right there ... but you get my frustration right?
SaumitraB
You're probably right there ... but you get my frustration right?

Yes having to pay for all the 'extras' is annoying. But youve gotta remember that the amount a uni can charge for tuition is capped which limits their funding, so by charging to use facilities like this they can continue to provide them.

I've seen the Warwick sports centre before and it's no worse than the gym I use which costs me three times as much.
Reply 25
I'm glad warwick has a free weights room. Shame about the addition cost. But i second the fact that it is relatively cheap. My gym near home has very limited free weights, but is reasonably prices and basicly across the road from me. The only down side is the lack of free weights. I've never even done a deadlift in my life. =\ I've made alot of progress personally (used to be seriously skinny) but i'm still pretty slim. I'm planning on joining the gym at Warwick and planning on going about 3 times a week. Although it seems to be taking a back seat recently due to social events etc.

Would be good to know a few other regulars to go with. Motivational and 'spotter' benefits aside, would be cool to get to know other people who have a shared interest in keeping fit... and the other reasons keeping in shape has... [self confidence]. etc :wink:
miike1234
Tuition is cheaper in America than it is in England?!! I think you've got your countries confused

Tuition for UK residents is cheaper than most tuitions in the US, including state schools, but tuition in the US usually includes a fitness center, accommodation, meals, and various perks such as on-campus events and clubs (which are like societies but I assume that they're much less active because we've got sororities and the like). Not to mention that, especially if you're female, parties and alcohol are free because they're thrown by fraternities and other specialty groups.
That being said, my tuition + cost of living at Warwick is going to be equal to my old uni's tuition, including airfare, but that's not a huge feat because my tuition was initially pretty high.

I'm still pissed that I have to pay for gym membership, though. :tongue:
Ant24
I'm glad warwick has a free weights room. Shame about the addition cost. But i second the fact that it is relatively cheap. My gym near home has very limited free weights, but is reasonably prices and basicly across the road from me. The only down side is the lack of free weights. I've never even done a deadlift in my life. =\ I've made alot of progress personally (used to be seriously skinny) but i'm still pretty slim. I'm planning on joining the gym at Warwick and planning on going about 3 times a week. Although it seems to be taking a back seat recently due to social events etc.

Would be good to know a few other regulars to go with. Motivational and 'spotter' benefits aside, would be cool to get to know other people who have a shared interest in keeping fit... and the other reasons keeping in shape has... [self confidence]. etc :wink:

they're called friends. you pick them up in freshers.
SaumitraB

You are comparing two completely different higher education systems.

If Warwick provided the facilities that are available at no extra cost it would either need millions more from the government each year, or the legislation in place which allowed it to charge more in the first place and cover it's own costs.

As an aside, do you not think it's a bit odd that in US universities all non-sporting students are subsidising the leisure activities of the sporting students? Is that fair...?
Reply 29
Anyone know if the gym has a trap bar?
Dnator
Anyone know if the gym has a trap bar?

not that i can recall.
Reply 31
Totally Tom
not that i can recall.

Oh well, just had a look - 2 squat racks and 2 olympic platforms - awesome :biggrin:
Reply 32
mituozo
Mainly focus on the 3 big lifts (squat/dead/bench), for strength rather than size. I've not been training too long though, spent a lot of last year trying to lose weight, got a few more pounds I want to try shift by uni/maybe up til xmas too, then focus on getting stronger again I guess like I have been the last few months. Lifts are nothing too special, squat ~100, deadlift ~155 and bench ~85. My gym here doesn't have a squat rack which is why my squat is so *****. I'm hoping to start olympic lifting at uni too - there's a weight training soc, so I'm hoping there'll be some people there that can help with the oly lifts!

What about you?

Dnator
:biggrin: That is what I really want to improve, just started C&J and I love it. Would like to learn how to snatch properly. Don't get your hopes up about that soc, I joined their fb group and got no reply :s-smilie: Yer I am just into the compounds, or at least build what I do around them. My squat is the worst , ~140 , dead 200 bench 130, but I have heard good things about the weights room at warwick so really want to build up my squats :smile:

Hey dudes, I have never seen anyone snatch in the warwick gym ever. Hardly anyone does compounds also. If you can dead 200 (1rm?) then you will be one of the top guys there. Ive only seen ~3 people lift over 180kg in the last year (but know there are a few more who do :smile:).

any squat over about 60 is pretty immense too....by warwick standards.... :wink:

Weight training soc is pretty terrible. I joined for half the year and nothing happened. If you compound next year during the day, you'll probs meet me, although I'm only going to be going for strength on deadlift/squat and going for hypertrophy elsewhere from now on.

If youre interested my 5rms were something like 112.5 sq 85 bench 155 dl

Good gym

edit: also squat racks. I squatted 3x a week most of the year. I didn't have to wait for a squat rack hardly ever
Reply 33
Tompazr
Hey dudes, I have never seen anyone snatch in the warwick gym ever. Hardly anyone does compounds also. If you can dead 200 (1rm?) then you will be one of the top guys there. Ive only seen ~3 people lift over 180kg in the last year (but know there are a few more who do :smile:).

Yer 200 k 1rm, do work sets of 180, damn I was expecting it to be full of much bigger lifters, what about the rugby team?

any squat over about 60 is pretty immense too....by warwick standards.... :wink:
Lol, maybe I won't feel so **** about mine then

Weight training soc is pretty terrible. I joined for half the year and nothing happened. If you compound next year during the day, you'll probs meet me, although I'm only going to be going for strength on deadlift/squat and going for hypertrophy elsewhere from now on.
See you there buddy :smile:

If youre interested my 5rms were something like 112.5 sq 85 bench 155 dl

Good gym

edit: also squat racks. I squatted 3x a week most of the year. I didn't have to wait for a squat rack hardly ever
This makes me happy:biggrin:

Good stuff
Reply 34
SaumitraB
Well that wasn't my point ... my point is this is a very disturbing trend in the UK - to charge for everything that should ideally be covered under tuition in the first place. Who the hell charges 165 quid for orientation? I'm paying to come to school ... the least they could do is not charge for orientation. :angry:

why go to university in the UK if you're so unhappy about it?
I would love to learn how to do proper dead and squats! Hopefully I shall see u in the gym :biggrin:

I go 3 times to the gym just to give a nice shape to my body. But when working out my legs or back, I just do machines or free weights exercises.
Reply 36
A powerlifter here, I'm definitely looking forward to train with some like minded people :biggrin: Obviously I focus on squats and bench, deadlift not so much due to the back injury I had about a year ago (got injured doing strongman training). Had pretty good lifts before the injury, I hold british records in squat and bench for U20.

I'm not as strong now but I'm not far away from the old "glory days".
Bench ~135, squat ~180, deadlift ~180.

If anyone is up for some hard training then definitely let me know.
Reply 37
piszczel
A powerlifter here, I'm definitely looking forward to train with some like minded people :biggrin: Obviously I focus on squats and bench, deadlift not so much due to the back injury I had about a year ago (got injured doing strongman training). Had pretty good lifts before the injury, I hold british records in squat and bench for U20.

I'm not as strong now but I'm not far away from the old "glory days".
Bench ~135, squat ~180, deadlift ~180.

If anyone is up for some hard training then definitely let me know.

Are you a mature student then?
But yes, definitely up for some training, I really want to max the hell out of my squat this year and stop pussying around. And the back injury thing sucks man, I have one atm and I hope it is temporary as I can't deadlift :frown:
Reply 38
Dnator
Are you a mature student then?
But yes, definitely up for some training, I really want to max the hell out of my squat this year and stop pussying around. And the back injury thing sucks man, I have one atm and I hope it is temporary as I can't deadlift :frown:

I'm 19. Are you going into first year as well? I see you're studying chemistry, same as me :biggrin:

Yeah the injury set me back big time. Went from squatting 200+kg and deadlifting 220+kg to not being able to squat even 60kg without pain. However everything's coming back, did 140kgx10 squat recently. If you've injured your back recently, my advice would be to ice it a lot - get a professional massage and start moving a bit if you're not already (swimming, jogging). Do everythign to loosen your back up a bit.

I'm looking for some dedicated people to train with, so if you're up for it, I'm up for it :smile:
Reply 39
piszczel
I'm 19. Are you going into first year as well? I see you're studying chemistry, same as me :biggrin:

Yeah the injury set me back big time. Went from squatting 200+kg and deadlifting 220+kg to not being able to squat even 60kg without pain. However everything's coming back, did 140kgx10 squat recently. If you've injured your back recently, my advice would be to ice it a lot - get a professional massage and start moving a bit if you're not already (swimming, jogging). Do everythign to loosen your back up a bit.

I'm looking for some dedicated people to train with, so if you're up for it, I'm up for it :smile:

Sounds good man :biggrin: From your current numbers we are pretty level (other than your squat - you might need to share your secrets :o: ) so count me in.
Yer I always forget to ice it, it is getting better - I am sticking to front squats atm, hopefully should be able to hit full intensity in a week or so , would like to put a few kg's on my lifts before I hit warwick.
And those are some crazy numbers for an 18 year old (I am assuming you were 18 at the time)
So you starting chemistry this year? You on the facebook page?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending