The Student Room Group

Calling all 2012 VetMed entry hopefuls, *VERY* Early i know!

Scroll to see replies

wow, that's pretty harsh... most helpful reply ever! :redface:

did you only apply to nottingham?
I'm in the middle of my pre-exam 'God-I-hate-revision-I-suck-at-life-I-will-fail-and-never-be-a-vet' meltdown. What do I do to calm my nerves? Look for lambing and THEN start stressing that I've possibly left it late. xD Not called any yet, checking with my vetty friend over dates and then will ring up some I have in mind.

I've already brought myself round to the idea that I'll probably end up applying for 2013 so I have more time to get work exp, yet also panicking about getting the grades.

:banghead:
Feel exactly the same as you right now :frown:
I have Biology, Chemistry, Physics and English Lit&Lang this month. :/ So many exams shouldn't be allowed just after Christmas!
Original post by ChelsRottie
I have Biology, Chemistry, Physics and English Lit&Lang this month. :/ So many exams shouldn't be allowed just after Christmas!

crikey! :eek:

i only have two exams. i feel very lucky!
Reply 225
Yeah I have 4 exams too.
2 AS Chemistry resits (fail)
2 A2, 1 Geography and 1 Biology.

STRESSED!!
Wow, I must be really lucky! I have no exams :biggrin:

We are learning both the modules at the same time, so for example in Bio (We're on the WJEC board) we are learning both Biochemistry and Physiology but with separate teachers. I guess it means more exams in June, but atleast we didn't have to revise over Christmas, only Easter :biggrin:
Reply 227
Original post by melc
Hello,
I felt a bit like a stalker having been 'watching' for months so thought I'd post to introduce myself and situation.
31 yrs old, been wanting to be a vet since I was 8. Was ill advised by a career woman at school to do 'alternative' degree after getting CDEE at A-levels in 97.
Did Animal Science degree at Newcastle, got a 2:2 (I know you're thinking why will she not give up on it already!).
So, I became a lecturer in animal welfare, animal physiology, biochemistry and animal health. I am teaching 1st and 3rd yr degree students.
I work in a zoo and have experience with 170 species of animals.
I have an MSc degree in Livestock Health and Production (from th RVC written for vet graduates).
I am re-sitting A-level biol (A* in AS level, A2 this yr) and Chemistry (AS in Jan, A2 nxt yr).
I have 6wks experience of working with animals in Africa, I have 18mths at liverpool vet school farm, 2wks at liverpool vet school, 5yrs at dairy farm, 9wks with chickens (not including having my own) not to mention lambing every year for 4yrs, a pet sitting business for 2yrs, 3yrs of owning and working with goats, ducks, turkeys and ponies plus 20yrs livery experience (2yrs as livery manager)
1d/wk for 3yrs at a vet practice and 2wks at easter school in liverpool with my students.
I am acquainted with nutritionists, endocrinologists, keepers of all types of exotics and farmers.

Why am I telling you all of this????

I applied to Notts and got rejected without interview because of the following:
- they dont consider my MSc to be a qualification??????
- I did not achieve A in chemistry first time round?????
- they question my commitment to becoming a vet????

Distraught is not the word. I have worked my a** off all of my life to get into vet school and I get that kind of response.

Vet entry 2012 to liverpool, fingers crossed.

Anyone else out there in similar situation please respond!
:-)

hey sorry to hear about your situation it sucks, did you apply to RVC you may have a chance with them as they are more graduate friendly and don't mind about the chemistry grade so much although I'm not sure how strict they are with the 2.1 but if you've got an MSc surely that makes up for it! Also once you've got your new A level grades that will definately help your chances. Edinburgh and Bristol are also very graduate friendly if you can manage the fees.

I was in a similar position to you with Nottingham I have a 2.1 in animal science, work on a farm and have plenty of extra w/e, taught myself A level chemistry but because I was 1 measly % off a B that ruined my chances with Nottingham although they only give about 5 places to graduates so chances were never good! I am just waiting to hear from RVC.

UVM in slovakia is meant to be very good, if you are in a position to go abroad I would apply there, I am sure they would accept you! :redface:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 228
Original post by ChelsRottie

hey im doing the same subjects except we're only doing lit, and no exam in that till Summer, so stressing over 3 exams right now...xmas was NOT fun!!
Original post by melc
Hello,
31 yrs old, been wanting to be a vet since I was 8. Was ill advised by a career woman at school to do 'alternative' degree after getting CDEE at A-levels in 97.
Did Animal Science degree at Newcastle, got a 2:2 (I know you're thinking why will she not give up on it already!).

I applied to Notts and got rejected without interview because of the following:
- they dont consider my MSc to be a qualification??????
- I did not achieve A in chemistry first time round?????
- they question my commitment to becoming a vet????

Distraught is not the word. I have worked my a** off all of my life to get into vet school and I get that kind of response.

Vet entry 2012 to liverpool, fingers crossed.

Anyone else out there in similar situation please respond!
:-)

Hi
Just wanted to say, don't give up! I was in a similar situation to you - rubbish A levels (not entirely my fault, our physics teacher never turned up for lessons!!) and went on to do an Animal Science degree in the 90s. Can't say I was badly advised, retakes were not really the done thing then and I was happy to have a place at uni on an interesting course. I was at Nottingham (obviously before the vet school was built) and did a European year which led me to getting a job teaching at the agricultural sciences uni in Vienna :smile: As Bachelors degrees are not recognised in Austria (well, in theory they are now, but they weren't when I arrived!) I did an MSc via distance learning on the Uni of London's external programme.

Have been here since 1998 and in 2007 I decided to finally go for it and apply to vet school here as I thought my German would finally be good enough :tongue: No problem getting a place here (with 2 degrees they welcomed me with open arms!!), the first year was a repeat of chemistry and physics (as some kids get into vet school here without those subjects! Application process takes all grades from about 8-10 subjects into account! You have to have biology but the other subjects are just in the first year, that's why our degree lasts 6yrs) which was good for me as I hadn't done those subjects for a really long time!!! Despite getting a "C" in A levels all those years ago I still managed to pass my chemistry, biochem and physics modules without much of a problem and this was in German too so TBH I don't think much of universities in the UK being so obsessed with an A in Chemistry!!

Try not to get too down about the Notts rejection, it seems they are really hard on graduates......I have no personal experience of UVM but the people on here who are studying in Kosice seem to love it!!

Oh well, got to get back to my clinical revision (definitely not looking forward to my practical exam.....if I have to take blood with shaking exam nerves hands things will go very badly :eek:)

Good luck and don't give up!
Reply 230
Original post by Alice.
Yeah that's what I thought :smile:

I've got RVC feedback, they said it was my predicted grades.
Not contacted anyone else yet, I will do, but I'm guessing it'll be my predicted grades again :smile:

WE wise I have 3 years volunteering with the RDA, 2 weeks at 2 different vets, 3 weeks with goats, a few days at a yard, 4/5 weeks volunteering with the BHS and 1 week at a dairy farm.
In the next year I'm now planning to do at least 2 more weeks at vets, lambing, more goats, continue with RDA and kennels/cattery.
Also trying to get to Blue Cross and a Wildlife Park but you have to be 18 for both :frown:

What were your predicted grades?????
Reply 231
Original post by Robert McGeachan
What were your predicted grades?????

Not good enough!
I had A in Geography and a B in Biology which they said was fine.
I had a C in Maths but they don't count that.
It was my Chemistry :frown:
So just one subject, unfortunatley the most important.
Reply 232
Original post by Alice.
Not good enough!
I had A in Geography and a B in Biology which they said was fine.
I had a C in Maths but they don't count that.
It was my Chemistry :frown:
So just one subject, unfortunatley the most important.

Okay well i wouldn't worry to much about it just work really hard for the grades and will have to apply the following year, your work experience also seems really good im working towards something simliar.

What did you get on the BMAT did they say anything about that?
Reply 233
Original post by Robert McGeachan
Okay well i wouldn't worry to much about it just work really hard for the grades and will have to apply the following year, your work experience also seems really good im working towards something simliar.

What did you get on the BMAT did they say anything about that?

No nothing about it, I got 4.7, 4.9 and 3A, I think..well it was around that, and they were about average so I *think* it would have been OK.
I was wondering what everyone here was like for their extra curricular stuff? I guess now is the ideal time to try something new before Uni :smile:

I do a lot of music during school, sing in both the chapel and chamber choir, have done a fair bit of performing on the local theatre stage in musicals. Also do a fair bit of sport (I row, only sport which requires pretty much no co-ordination :P) and I was School Council/Deputy Headboy at my oldschool.

On top of having to get good grades, can anyone think of something I could maybe try to improve my application?

Oh and was thinking of setting up a facebook group if people were interested? Just so we can start getting to know eachother for next year :biggrin:
a facebook group sounds great :smile:
Made :biggrin:!

Will put in open days later :smile: Just tried twice and for annoying reasons I closed the tab before it worked :P So impatient now!

"Vet Applicants 2012" - Just to keep it simple :wink:
Reply 237
Original post by Dave_Beeston
Made :biggrin:!

Will put in open days later :smile: Just tried twice and for annoying reasons I closed the tab before it worked :P So impatient now!

"Vet Applicants 2012" - Just to keep it simple :wink:

Joined! :biggrin:
I think I am first.. hehe
Original post by Loosy
Joined! :biggrin:
I think I am first.. hehe

Mwahaha! Spread the word :3
heyy
kinda late but yh im applying this year :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending