The Student Room Group
University logo
Abertay University

Who's going to Abertay?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by J.Bell
Flat 2

I am flat 4. I think. Anyway, should be good :smile: Have any you guys visited Alloway halls yet? If so, what's it like lol I just picked it because it was the cheapest.
University logo
Abertay University
My OASIS portal just updated to let me apply for accommodation and register modules the day before I get my results.... guess I got my C at A2 art, then XD
Reply 82
Original post by GG01
I am flat 4. I think. Anyway, should be good :smile: Have any you guys visited Alloway halls yet? If so, what's it like lol I just picked it because it was the cheapest.

I've not even been to Dundee let alone Alloway haha! But i've been told that there's 3 buildings, 6 flats per building, 2 flats per floor. Have you registered yet? I don't know what to put for my term address :/
Reply 83
Original post by caiitlinz
My OASIS portal just updated to let me apply for accommodation and register modules the day before I get my results.... guess I got my C at A2 art, then XD

Haha, nice one congrats
Reply 84
Original post by Surfpop
I don't cycle, but I lived at Opal and study at Abertay so can answer a few questions!

1. Their bike storage seems pretty secure. It's indoors and you need a key to get to it, but you might want to phone Opal and ask more details.

2. Dundee has crazy weather. Some days it'll be boiling hot, others it'll be snowing and hailing. When I got to Dundee in September 2010 we had a lot of sun and warm weather right until the end of October. This summer has been a mix of hot sunny days and rain.

3. Should be fine in your room, nobody from Opal would tell you not to.

4. Not sure.

5. Well I saw a lot of bikes being stored at Opal so I'd assume so.

6. Dunno about ethical hacking, but on my course I'd have enough time to cycle for 6 hours a day, 7 days a week... not that I do, but uni doesn't take up much time.

Thanks for the reply, was great help!
Reply 85
Original post by panda s
Thanks for the reply, was great help!

The OP denkmit should be on to give you a reply soon, keeps forgetting :P
Reply 86

Oasis can be kinda dodgy, you should call up Abertay and any student accomodation just to double check! I had weird problems with my oasis in first year, but when you phone them they're cool and helpful :smile:
Original post by Surfpop
Oasis can be kinda dodgy, you should call up Abertay and any student accomodation just to double check! I had weird problems with my oasis in first year, but when you phone them they're cool and helpful :smile:

Yeah, it's been updated to look like I've been accepted but it wont let me apply for accomodation :/ I'll call up if it's not working later today.
Reply 88
Original post by ThatEmoKid
I've not even been to Dundee let alone Alloway haha! But i've been told that there's 3 buildings, 6 flats per building, 2 flats per floor. Have you registered yet? I don't know what to put for my term address :/

lol me neither xD I just registered last night, putting my term-time address as 4 Alloway flats :smile:
Reply 89
Yeah, it's been updated to look like I've been accepted but it wont let me apply for accomodation :/ I'll call up if it's not working later today.
For me it took OASIS a couple of days to get updated and unlock the accommodation. But calling them just to make sure is always a good idea.

Original post by Brizee
The OP denkmit should be on to give you a reply soon, keeps forgetting :P

The more replies the better :smile:
Reply 90

Original post by GG01

Just back from there, they are epic, five minute walk from a huge morisons
Just after I posted the application started working c: I saw on the Opal website that Abertay students should just apply straight to them, presumably because all of Abertay's designated Opal halls are full. So I did, and I appear to have a place!

Thanks for the help, everyone :smile:
Reply 92
Original post by panda s
1. Is it safe to use Opal bicycle parking for a racing bike? Can I insure it? How does the parking look like, because I couldn't find any pics on the Internet?
2. How bad is the climate? Should I forget about sunny days road cycling without getting all covered in water and dirt?
3. Is it possible to store a set of tires in my room or anywhere else?
4. Are there any good cross country tracks nearby? With single-tracks, mud showers etc because I love those.
5. Are there any cyclists at Abertay?
6. And finally, will I have ~6 hours a week for my cycling needs? :smile:
Opal's bike storage is as secure as you could ever want, it's awesome! At the Freshers Fayre on the 21st September, go see Endsleigh Insurance, they're part owned by National Union of Students and will sort you out!

You will get wet and mucky cycling in Dundee! But there's loads of little hilly roads just outside town, quite good rolling terrain for it! You'll have room in your flat to store wheels and whatnot, there's quite good storage.

As for cross country - Scotland has some of the best in the world right on your doorstep! If you google Perthshire Cycling I'm sure you'll find them!

There's no organised cycling, but a lot of cycling, especially among staff! Come see me when you get here, I'd love to get someone to start up a cycling society, and I'll come ride with you!
Reply 93
Original post by Surfpop
The only bad things I know about Courthouse are the frequent flat inspections (compared to Opal at least)
Remember that your landlord (even in uni halls) have to give you 48hrs before any inspection!
Reply 94
Original post by J.Bell
Just back from there, they are epic, five minute walk from a huge morisons

Nice ! I love me some Morrisons. Can't wait to move up O_o
Original post by skialampas
Good that I was checking out this thread from time to time. I was planning to accept my offer at Lyon street residence. This partying and fire alarm stuff will surely throw me off the balance as I'm already a poor sleeper. Guess I'll scout for some private flat. And they say the expenses are lesser too. Thanx for the post. :smile:

In the last two parts of your post they've mentioned Indian students. So just outta curiosity, are you from India too? Coz another guy and myself are Indian students coming for MProf GD.

Yes iam from india :smile: coming from chennai. i have given up lyon street. im going to look for private flat only.
Reply 96
I'm going to Abertay! I'm not sure where I'll be staying, since I need to contact Opal to try and get a place, as the places allocated to Abertay are full, but if I can't stay there, I'll be hunting out some private accommodation.

Failing that, I'm sure I can find some nice alleyway in which to take up residence. xD
Original post by Ursidae
I'm going to Abertay! I'm not sure where I'll be staying, since I need to contact Opal to try and get a place, as the places allocated to Abertay are full, but if I can't stay there, I'll be hunting out some private accommodation.

Failing that, I'm sure I can find some nice alleyway in which to take up residence. xD

I managed to get Opal accommodation straight from them. Abertay offered me a place in Alloway as well, so I'm sure you'll find somewhere :smile: Which course you going to be on?
Reply 98
Im joining you lot!! BA(Hons) Management anyone? So, hows Abertay? :smile:
Reply 99
I'm currently awaiting confirmation from Opal, after having contacted them directly, about getting accommodation straight from them, which I hope will come to fruition.

I'd applied for Alloway and Opal through Abertay directly, and found myself too late for either of them. D:

I'm going to be studying Computer Games Applications Development, and yourself?

Quick Reply