The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

The Edinburgh FAQ and 'Ask a Student' thread

Scroll to see replies

Hi people!

I just received a conditional offer for the MSc in Artificial Intelligence. The conditions are quite low, so meeting them shouldn't be a big problem. Could anyone tell me what the people at the CompSci/Informatics department are like? I applied to some other unis and it is really hard to decide where to go :s-smilie: Some experiences would be very helpful.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 61
I sent my UCAS off on Tuesday but I'm having huge second thoughts about applying for Edinburgh.

The course I have applied for is English and Spanish. My predicted grades are A*AB and despite the entry requirements being AAA, some contextual factors apply to me which apparently can bring my offer down.

I'm from London and I want to still live in a huge bustling city. I've never been to Edinburgh so I don't know what to expect.

I also get the impression that Edinburgh, like Exeter, is a place where private school/Oxbridge rejects/Jack Wills wearers go. Is this true?

THANK YOU
Original post by lolahaze
Is this true?

Does it matter?
No I didn't notice a huge number of posh people. And nearly all seemed nice, posh or not. Only bother I've had is actually from a non-posh international student, but I doubt that can be generalized, just as private schoolers can't.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 64

I'm from London and I want to still live in a huge bustling city. I've never been to Edinburgh so I don't know what to expect.

Moved your thread to here where you'll get answers from people who are actually at Edinburgh rather than the internet generally.

In answer to your question, Edinburgh is like any other top level university in that a sizable proportion of its intake are privately educated and Oxbridge rejects. This just goes with the territory as most people who apply to Oxbridge are also applying to the likes of Edinburgh/Durham/St Andrews/Exeter etc. And yes, there are a number of these people who fit into the stereotype you've written about in your post. HOWEVER, not everyone is like that even if they are an Oxbridge reject or went to a private school. You'll also find lots of people who aren't from a private school or applied to Oxbridge (myself being one of them) and everyone fits in just fine.

However, Edinburgh is not a "huge bustling city" so you may not like it for this reason. The city centre is walkable in about 30 minutes and as a student you won't need to get a bus or use public transport at all. You can get everywhere you'd need to go as a languages student within about half an hour. I think Edinburgh is brilliant for this reason - you've got a capital city that's so easy to get around but if you're looking for somewhere comparable to London, it isn't it. I now live in London, whilst I like living here, its not Edinburgh and I'd rather be in Edinburgh if I had the choice because its smaller, greener and friendlier.

I also get the impression that Edinburgh, like Exeter, is a place where private school/Oxbridge rejects/Jack Wills wearers go. Is this true?

Edinburgh is certainly not Exeter :/
Reply 66
I've applied to study a BSc in mathematics at Edinburgh (G100) - can anyone give me some idea about my chances? My grades are:

S5
2010 Higher Mathematics: A
2010 Higher Chemistry: A
2010 Higher Philosophy: A
2010 Higher English: B
2010 Higher Physics: B

S6
2011 Higher Biology: A
2011 Advanced Higher Mathematics: A
2011 Advanced Higher Chemistry: A

My main concern is that my respectable Advanced Higher grades will be ignored by admissions officers focusing on my S5 grades.
Reply 67

THANK YOU

I imagine you will get some people like this in most universities. Edinburgh has a lot of students, interested in many different things, with many different fashion tastes, from many different backgrounds.
Reply 68
Hey, I have an offer for CS & AI and was wondering what it's like getting internships at Edinburgh in computer science, not industrial placements like a co-op, but something geared more towards research. Any ideas?
Reply 69
I have applied for BSc Sport Science, but reading forums about other applicants to Edinburgh University I don't think I have much of a chance of getting in..
GCSE I obtained 1A* 8A 3B

AS
Business - C
Extended Project - B
Biology - C
Art - B
Psychology B

For A2 I am taking Biology, Psychology and Art. Retaking a module in both Biology and Psychology

I am predicted AAB (very optimistic) but on the prospectus Edinburgh ask for BBC for Sport Science which I know I should get

I'd say my personal statement is quite good, a lot of extra curricular activities, dancing since the age 4 with distinctions in most of my exams, cross country for the county quite sporty, volunteer work in teaching dance along side my dance teacher to the younger children (3-5 year olds)

But reading about people applying to Oxbridge as well as Edinburgh I know I'm nowhere near as academic as them, anyone think I have a chance? Or know people there with similar grades to mine that have had an offer
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 70
Hi guys! :smile:

I'm a hopeful medic for 2013 entry and a friend of mine, who's doing a-level french, told me that you needed a language to go to Edinburgh even though you're doing medecine. Any truth in this?

I've only done languages at GCSE level: French A* Spanish A*

and i'm bilingual in tagalog (Philippines) but unfortunately i'm not literate in it anymore and i only speak it when i really have to, lol.

thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by KiwiNotes

I'm a hopeful medic for 2013 entry and a friend of mine, who's doing a-level french, told me that you needed a language to go to Edinburgh even though you're doing medecine. Any truth in this?

and i'm bilingual in tagalog (Philippines) but unfortunately i'm not literate in it anymore and i only speak it when i really have to, lol.

You only need it at GCSE, and even then I think it may only a requirement for arts/humanities students :smile:
Reply 72
Original post by KiwiNotes

it'll only be GCSE, and some courses don't even require a language. I've applied for sport science and it doesn't require a foreign language at GCSE :smile:
Reply 73
I have a few questions:

What is Edinburgh uni like?

Has anyone here been on the course? What are your opinions on the course? Any tips or reccomendations?

What are the destinations for graduates of this course?

Do Edinburgh usually accept A level resitters (IE: those who take more than 2 years to do it)

Also: Do they have something where you can transfer/get a place on thier Medicine course.

Thanks very much.
Reply 74
Original post by Agent Smirnoff

Original post by Agent Smirnoff
I have a few questions:

What is Edinburgh uni like?

Amazing :p:

Read other posts to get an idea.

Has anyone here been on the course? What are your opinions on the course? Any tips or reccomendations?

Its really really competitive as I believe its one of the only courses of its type in Scotland. There's a medical science thread from last years entrants somewhere in the forum.

What are the destinations for graduates of this course?

My friends who did this course went into - grad med, other health care professions (eg: nursing) and other health related jobs such as working for substance abuse charities etc.

Do Edinburgh usually accept A level resitters (IE: those who take more than 2 years to do it)

As a general rule, no, unless you've got specific circumstances such as missing exams due to being ill which meant you had to take them the following year.

Also: Do they have something where you can transfer/get a place on thier Medicine course.

No. You can reapply as normal for medicine, although obviously you'd have to apply by 15th October so you'd only have been at uni for 4 weeks so it seems pointless if that's your objective.
Thanks very much.
Agent Smirnoff
x

Original post by oxymoronic
There's a medical science thread from last years entrants somewhere in the forum.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1594568
Reply 76
Original post by oxymoronic

As a general rule, no, unless you've got specific circumstances such as missing exams due to being ill which meant you had to take them the following year.

I'm retaking a module in psychology and biology, does this mean I have a small chance of getting an offer? :s-smilie:
Reply 77
Original post by gpostleth
I'm retaking a module in psychology and biology, does this mean I have a small chance of getting an offer? :s-smilie:

Well, you may still be considered but they will expect you to achieve higher than if you were doing it over 2 years. So because you're doing it over more than 2 years if you get an offer it will be higher than the usual one and given the usual offer is AAA, then who knows! Edinburgh used to have a flat out "we don't accept resits" policy when they did BBB offers so its a change of tune that they're now just considering people who took 3 years to do their A levels, but then the typical offer has also gone up.
Reply 78
Hey im from Canada and got an offer in International Relations 2012, I wonder are students nice in the university to out comers? Im Asian.
Is there anybody study IR here... and recommendations for course prep? Is it a competitive course?
Reply 79
Did you feel like you had enough time for a part-time job when studying at Edinburgh?

Quick Reply

Latest