The Student Room Group

The Prestigious Russell Group

So I was planning on making my firm choice Sussex (law with business) as opposed to Queen Mary (law) as i don't want to stay in London and would rather do law with business but QM is rated higher for law but i was still set on Sussex.

Today QM emailed me and i did some follow up research and found Queen Mary, Durham, Exeter and York are all going to be Russell Group universities from Aug 2012.

Now i'm seriously considering QM just for that fact but i was wondering if anyone else is in a similar position and if The Russell group is enough to make you change your mind? Is it even THAT important, all that I've read points to them just having more funding, would employers want a Leeds graduate due to it being a Russel Group uni as opposed to a Sussex (higher than leeds in the tables 2012) graduate of the same qualification?

Anyone with any thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by youngzwavey
So I was planning on making my firm choice Sussex (law with business) as opposed to Queen Mary (law) as i don't want to stay in London and would rather do law with business but QM is rated higher for law but i was still set on Sussex.

Today QM emailed me and i did some follow up research and found Queen Mary, Durham, Exeter and York are all going to be Russell Group universities from Aug 2012.

Now i'm seriously considering QM just for that fact but i was wondering if anyone else is in a similar position and if The Russell group is enough to make you change your mind? Is it even THAT important, all that I've read points to them just having more funding, would employers want a Leeds graduate due to it being a Russel Group uni as opposed to a Sussex (higher than leeds in the tables 2012) graduate of the same qualification?

Ermmm honestly, as a Law student, I would pick QueenMary over Sussex regardless of whether or not they're a member of the Russell Group. I'm not particularly sure which department Sussex is relatively strong in, but I'm quite sure that QM definitely ranks higher in the Law dept. And I'm not from QM so I'm not giving a biased view here. Just my opinion :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by nba008
Ermmm honestly, as a Law student, I would pick QueenMary over Sussex regardless of whether or not they're a member of the Russell Group. I'm not particularly sure which department Sussex is relatively strong in, but I'm quite sure that QM definitely ranks higher in the Law dept. And I'm not from QM so I'm not giving a biased view here. Just my opinion :smile:

yeah this year QM was top 10 again possibly top 5 cant remember for law Sussex best position out of the 3 guides was 14th at most (can just about remember)

Thanks for the opinion :smile: it's such a puzzle the whole degree vs life debate, do you think its that important to enjoy your time at uni or do you feel its more about getting the grades you want especially now we pay 9k a year, i dont see myself enjoying london lool
Reply 3
yeah this year QM was top 10 again possibly top 5 cant remember for law Sussex best position out of the 3 guides was 14th at most (can just about remember)

Thanks for the opinion :smile: it's such a puzzle the whole degree vs life debate, do you think its that important to enjoy your time at uni or do you feel its more about getting the grades you want especially now we pay 9k a year, i dont see myself enjoying london lool

I'd kill to get into a London uni :colone: But that's just me.

Back to topic at hand, you already seem to be leaning towards Sussex, in which case, there isn't much to contemplate. Have you been on open days to see what the university is like, etc? Sometimes visiting the actual place might make you change your mind.
I'd advise against opting for a uni based on its reputation and ranking alone, but seeing as you've applied for Law, I'm not sure how important the "ranking" of the uni will be once you graduate.
But, like they always say, it's not where you graduate from, it's what you do with your degree that is important. Sorry I'm not much help :tongue: Good luck, though.
Reply 4
Original post by NightBear
I'd kill to get into a London uni :colone: But that's just me.

Back to topic at hand, you already seem to be leaning towards Sussex, in which case, there isn't much to contemplate. Have you been on open days to see what the university is like, etc? Sometimes visiting the actual place might make you change your mind.
I'd advise against opting for a uni based on its reputation and ranking alone, but seeing as you've applied for Law, I'm not sure how important the "ranking" of the uni will be once you graduate.
But, like they always say, it's not where you graduate from, it's what you do with your degree that is important. Sorry I'm not much help :tongue: Good luck, though.

i'm guessing your from out of london right, sometimes i wish i was then i'd choose QM in a heartbeat

i've been to QM as my sixth form as good links with it, the mile end campus reminded me of my secondary school which wasn't exactly a good thing lol

I haven't been to Sussex but i'm working on it, and yeah thats what i'm thinking like even as competitive as Law is a 1:1 for example is still a great achievement, thanks for your thoughts :smile:
Reply 5

Employers are unlikely to know the exact membership of the Russell Group for a start, though, for any who do have a reasonable idea of what it is, they'll probably know Leeds, as a large multifaculty university, is in it.

Even when they were in the 1994 Group (ie up until this week :p: )Durham and Queen Mary were still well favoured amongst employers, including Magic Circle firms.

So will an employer chose a Leeds graduate over a Sussex graduate, just because Leeds is in the Russell Group. Very, very unlikely. Even if they do favour the Leeds graduate due to personal preference or brand name, it's unlikely its Russell Group membership (and Sussex, being in the 1994 Group, lacks it).

Also don't forget that candidates are not identical just because they have the same degree classification, there are also various competencies that are assessed in the application stage, extra curriculars, work experience and personal qualities to consider.

Queen Mary will give a slight advatage (though not because it's in the Russell Group), though this will be even less pronounces amongst high street firms. Outside law, in most other career sectors, the difference between the two is likely to matter even less.

I suspect these four new entries are going to email applicants and try and hammer home how amazing it is they are in the RG and how it will significantly imrpove your career prospects. Don't get too swept up by it, they're just trying to get bums and seats and money.

Oh, and even when it comes to research funding, Queen Mary (or the other new entrants) are not getting more research funding just because they are in the Russell Group.
Reply 6
If you don't want to be in London, and you got into Sussex.. Prestige matters but maybe only when there are huge differences between the unis..
Reply 7
Good universities are good universities, the group they're in is not that important. It's individual rep that matters. For example Durham probably won't be regarded in higher esteem just because it's in the Russel Group now, because it was already brilliant even when it was in the 1994 group.

Don't let this affect your decision.
Reply 8

I have the exact same problem. I was also going to firm Sussex (law with american studies) and yesterday QM sent me the same email regarding The Russell Group. I hope I'll be able to make my decision based on the Admissions Day @ Sussex. In my case, however, I think that going away to the US in my third year may value more than studying in a Russell Group uni (in terms of employment)
Reply 9
Everyone's replies has been so helpful I think I'm going to firm Sussex and just work on the best grades in uni while enjoying my time and studying the course I'm more drawn to of law with business,

Original post by jo.dee
I have the exact same problem. I was also going to firm Sussex (law with american studies) and yesterday QM sent me the same email regarding The Russell Group. I hope I'll be able to make my decision based on the Admissions Day @ Sussex. In my case, however, I think that going away to the US in my third year may value more than studying in a Russell Group uni (in terms of employment)

When is the admissiona day? Let me know how you found it If u can please
Reply 10
http://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/visitus/admissionsdays/
You have to register on the website. The date is 29th March for Law with American Studies.
Original post by jo.dee

Nice seeing someone else doing law with American studies thought I was the only one on here lol.
But definitely go with the one you like there's no point in going to QM if you're not going to enjoy yourself when you could go to another great uni and have some brilliant memories :biggrin:
Reply 12
Original post by jo.dee
http://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/visitus/admissionsdays/
You have to register on the website. The date is 29th March for Law with American Studies.

Reply 13
so my mum was talking to one of her contacts in HR at Trowers and Hamlins, they said queen marys would be looked at by them over sussex any day but they didnt rule sussex out but they did mention that the inclusion of queen mary into the russell group would influence them.. whether thats down to them actually knowing it was going to happen or he said that only hearing about it now i don't know.

one thing he did say when my mum mentioned i was still waiting for bristols response was that bristol in their eyes is better than QM. He didnt even stutter, i kinda gave up on bristol but now i'm hoping for them especially as their offer is meant to be AAA

just some food for thought, it seems some law firms especially top ones do have an eye on the russell group uni's and whether or not it makes them a better institute has no bearings, the level of prestige usually means you've done alot to get there and some firms like this. Worth mulling it over. All in all Bristol trumps QM, QM trumps Sussex, but only in looking at your application

They would consider sussex last out of the 3 for example, but he made it clear that in no way was going to sussex lessoning your chance, he even stressed consideration of where you will enjoy your time and where you would like to live.

Moral of the story: go out there, where ever you want to study, enjoy yourself, get the best grades possible.
Reply 14
so my mum was talking to one of her contacts in HR at Trowers and Hamlins, they said queen marys would be looked at by them over sussex any day but they didnt rule sussex out but they did mention that the inclusion of queen mary into the russell group would influence them.. whether thats down to them actually knowing it was going to happen or he said that only hearing about it now i don't know.

one thing he did say when my mum mentioned i was still waiting for bristols response was that bristol in their eyes is better than QM. He didnt even stutter, i kinda gave up on bristol but now i'm hoping for them especially as their offer is meant to be AAA

just some food for thought, it seems some law firms especially top ones do have an eye on the russell group uni's and whether or not it makes them a better institute has no bearings, the level of prestige usually means you've done alot to get there and some firms like this. Worth mulling it over. All in all Bristol trumps QM, QM trumps Sussex, but only in looking at your application

They would consider sussex last out of the 3 for example, but he made it clear that in no way was going to sussex lessoning your chance, he even stressed consideration of where you will enjoy your time and where you would like to live.

Moral of the story: go out there, where ever you want to study, enjoy yourself, get the best grades possible.

Bristol was very popular for law. It is not anymore! There are only 5 applicants/place compared to QM's 15. Nonetheless, those who apply to Bristol can be more valuable applicants but...I'm really dissapointed by T&H.Bristol is more prestigious indeed but I think their law departments are equally good and so are the applicants. I also think that a lot of English students will struggle this year to get a A*AA for QM and it is not fair of them to conclude that they didn't make enough to get there!!
Also, I see they attend the Bristol law fair and not QM's but they don't even attend the law fair at UCL, LSE or Notts?:smile:)
Later edit : T&H FAQ
Does where I went to university matter?
No, we believe in the benefits of a diverse workforce and do not have any preferences as to which university you attended.

Haha, really?
(edited 12 years ago)
Erm... Define prestige.
Reply 16
Original post by silence18
Bristol was very popular for law. It is not anymore! There are only 5 applicants/place compared to QM's 15. Nonetheless, those who apply to Bristol can be more valuable applicants but...I'm really dissapointed by T&H.Bristol is more prestigious indeed but I think their law departments are equally good and so are the applicants. I also think that a lot of English students will struggle this year to get a A*AA for QM and it is not fair of them to conclude that they didn't make enough to get there!!
Also, I see they attend the Bristol law fair and not QM's but they don't even attend the law fair at UCL, LSE or Notts?:smile:)
Later edit : T&H FAQ
Does where I went to university matter?
No, we believe in the benefits of a diverse workforce and do not have any preferences as to which university you attended.

Haha, really?

lol they did cite that bristol being in the russell group for a much longer time had a part to play, maybe they place some hidden weight on the russell group that we don't know about, overall they're both great universities i'd always thought QM had more prestige if i'm honest but if bristol is liked by T&H and can get me out of London who am i to complain haha, just gotta hope i get an offer, someone got one with 14/42 on the lnat, i got 17 and their site says its only 25% of the reason decisions are made so hopefully they don't do a durham and reject me purely on LNAT

and to think if i'd done better on LNAT's i could have avoided all this stress
Reply 17
lol they did cite that bristol being in the russell group for a much longer time had a part to play, maybe they place some hidden weight on the russell group that we don't know about, overall they're both great universities i'd always thought QM had more prestige if i'm honest but if bristol is liked by T&H and can get me out of London who am i to complain haha, just gotta hope i get an offer, someone got one with 14/42 on the lnat, i got 17 and their site says its only 25% of the reason decisions are made so hopefully they don't do a durham and reject me purely on LNAT

and to think if i'd done better on LNAT's i could have avoided all this stress

It doesn't have anything to do with the Russell Group. Durham is excellent even though it is/ was in the 1994 group. I think you'll get ur offer, since QM also accepted you. 17 is not so bad, even though it is below average. I think your LNAT essay will also matter.
Still annoyed with the T&H thing, though. I'm going to Queen Mary, btw. I didn't apply to Bristol.
Reply 18
QM would definately be a better choice for law, and this is coming from a Sussex student for 2012 (biting my tongue here haha). My dad has done work for Queen Mary and couldn't find any faults with the institution.

However the whole RG situation is beginning to irritate me, and here are several points why:
1) QMUL is only entering the Russell Group this summer, so those claiming they want to chose it for employment prospects are a tad naive. Employers will zone on on applicants from well established members firstly (for example Bristol and Nottingham) in comparison to newer universities.

2)Though QMUL is part of the university of London, Sussex appears to have prestige on its side. This year it made every top 20 in the UK, compared to QMUL which leveled around the 30-40 mark. By no means am I suggesting that one is better, as they are infact quite equal, however i am saying that just because Queen Mary is a RG member does not make it instantly better than all non RG unis.

RANT.OVER
Original post by silence18
Bristol was very popular for law. It is not anymore! There are only 5 applicants/place compared to QM's 15.

What happened to Bristol? Why the decline? I always thought that it was in the same group as KCL, Durham, Notts etc

Quick Reply