The Student Room Group

Working out angles without calculator (complex numbers)

Hi guys,

If I have a triangle, of which I know all the sides (I'm working with complex numbers) im trying to work out the ARGUMENT i.e arctan (y/x) without a calculator.
This is just the angle between my hypotenuse which is 2 root 2 and my adjacent which =2. Opposite is also 2.

How can I do this?

Thanks, really stuck.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you're looking for angles, you want to start with the cosine rule. Square all the sides and look at what that tells you.
Reply 2
That's half a right angle.
Sounds like you're dealing with a right-angled isosceles triangle (i.e. half a square) - since the opposite and adjacent are both 2, and the triangle obeys Pythagoras' theorem.
Should be obvious what the angle is...
Reply 4
Isn't the answer: arg= tan-1 1= (pi)/4 = 45o
Reply 5
Yes ok, I gave a simple example, but I want a general method that I can use for everything. For example, the next question has hypotenuse = 2, adjacent = 1, and opposite = root 3

Thanks
Original post by dannylfc_1
Yes ok, I gave a simple example, but I want a general method that I can use for everything. For example, the next question has hypotenuse = 2, adjacent = 1, and opposite = root 3

Thanks

It's been suggested...the cosine rule. In general for a triangle with integral sides the angles will not be rational
Reply 7
Yes ok, I gave a simple example, but I want a general method that I can use for everything. For example, the next question has hypotenuse = 2, adjacent = 1, and opposite = root 3.These is no general method that will work for everything.

You should know (*) the values of sin⁑θ,cos⁑θ\sin \theta, \cos \theta for any integer multiple of Ο€/6\pi / 6 or Ο€/4\pi / 4.

All the examples you have given fall into this category, and this is likely no coincidence.

(*) Or be able to work out from a value you do know. e.g. I might not know directly what sin(3pi/4) is, but I know that sin(3pi/4) = sin(pi - 3pi/4) = sin(pi/4) = sqrt(2)/2.
Reply 8

Thanks

okay, but you didn't tell which angle you want to find (ie. angle between hyp and opp or angle between hyp and adj). Yea I also think that you should you cosine rule. Anyway, I don't see what both your questions have to do with complex number...?
Reply 9
Original post by pauching
okay, but you didn't tell which angle you want to find (ie. angle between hyp and opp or angle between hyp and adj). Yea I also think that you should you cosine rule. Anyway, I don't see what both your questions have to do with complex number...?

yes sorry - the angle between adjacent and hypotenuse.
I see the cosine rule has been mentioned but can someone spell this out for me exactly how you work it out. Maths isn't my strongest subject!
Reply 10
Original post by DFranklin
These is no general method that will work for everything.

You should know (*) the values of sin⁑θ,cos⁑θ\sin \theta, \cos \theta for any integer multiple of Ο€/6\pi / 6 or Ο€/4\pi / 4.

All the examples you have given fall into this category, and this is likely no coincidence.

(*) Or be able to work out from a value you do know. e.g. I might not know directly what sin(3pi/4) is, but I know that sin(3pi/4) = sin(pi - 3pi/4) = sin(pi/4) = sqrt(2)/2.

Yes, I understand, so how then do I work out arctan? Thanks
If you know the values for sin and cos, you know the value for tan...
yes sorry - the angle between adjacent and hypotenuse.
I see the cosine rule has been mentioned but can someone spell this out for me exactly how you work it out. Maths isn't my strongest subject!

In a triangle where the side of length aa is opposite angle A, a2=b2+c2βˆ’2bccosAa^2=b^2+c^2-2bc cos A
Reply 13
Original post by pauching

I also should have said minus root 3 not root 3

Its because my complex number is z=1-i root 3 and i want to put this in the form re^i(theta). Where r is the hypotenuse which is 2 and theta is the angle arctan. Hope that helps
A squared = B squared + C squared - (2BC) x Cos A

just rearrange the formula to make cos A the subject of the equation and you can work out each one
Reply 15
Yes thanks, i understand the cosine rule method. Thanks everyone for helping really appreciated
Have to say, I strongly disagree with everyone advocating the use of the cosine formula.
Reply 17
Original post by DFranklin
Have to say, I strongly disagree with everyone advocating the use of the cosine formula.

How else would you do it? I realise I'm getting to the point where I have cos A = x. But then I still need to know how to do the next part in my head, to which I think i might just have to memorise the unit circle.
If you have a right angled triangle, you don't need the cosine formula. This is basic (GCSE, I would have thought) trig.
Reply 19
True

Quick Reply

Latest