The Student Room Group

State students not getting in because of... the furniture.

A state-run sixth-form college in London has replicated an Oxford professor's study on its premises.

Brooke House Sixth Form College (BSix) in Hackney spent £10,000 on The Red Room which was modelled on the colours of Pembroke College, Oxford.

Antiques bought at auctions complete a look designed to prevent students being intimidated at university interviews.
He said: "The red room's amazing. It's elegant and beautiful.

"Just stepping in makes you feel quite inspired and privileged."
The college bought statues at auction to add an Oxbridge feel to the study

Full article here.

Don't know about anyone else but... i think that is pretty hilarious. Buying antiques at auction? :laugh: I honestly can't entertain the notion that the furniture, or buildings in the wider sense, are actually a barrier to someone from a poorer background. Even then, that room could pass for my grandmother's living room (minus the bust!). Are padded chairs really so alien to inner-city students? Are bookcases unheard of? Or is this just my suburbs upbringing talking?

At least this head teacher is taking Oxbridge admissions seriously, i guess. :dontknow:

Thoughts?
Reply 1
Original post by nexttime

What a waste of money...
Reply 2
I think someone wanted a new office
But surely this leaves pupils desperately ill-equipped to apply to Churchill, Cambridge and St Catz,Oxford? :confused:
Anything valuable that isnt bolted down in a hackney school will be gone within minutes anyway lol
Reply 5
Original post by nexttime
Full article here.

Don't know about anyone else but... i think that is pretty hilarious. Buying antiques at auction? :laugh: I honestly can't entertain the notion that the furniture, or buildings in the wider sense, are actually a barrier to someone from a poorer background. Even then, that room could pass for my grandmother's living room (minus the bust!). Are padded chairs really so alien to inner-city students? Are bookcases unheard of? Or is this just my suburbs upbringing talking?

At least this head teacher is taking Oxbridge admissions seriously, i guess. :dontknow:

Thoughts?

it looks awful.

Like a cross between a modern room with old furniture. They could have at least painted the walls a dark colour.
Reply 6
Original post by superfoggy
I think someone wanted a new office

I think I'd agree with that...

I admit it does actually look like a room I've had supervisions in, however, I was interviewed in quite a small, drab office. Not all the rooms in Oxbridge look like that, and most interviewers want to put students at ease so they do as well as they can, which I would hope counters any intimidation from the surroundings. Plus once it's just you and the interviewer(s) you sort of don't notice what the rest of the room looks like...

As an aside - my dad (who had likely not seen many grand buildings aged 16) many many years ago was interviewed for a job in the Law Courts in a very grand office and rather than being put off by it, it made him more certain that that was where he wanted to work!
(edited 12 years ago)
The crazy thing to me is that the BBC article says the sixth form college and Pembroke "are currently collaborating". Therefore: couldn't they just go on a day trip to visit Oxford? :tongue:
Original post by fluteflute
The crazy thing to me is that the BBC article says the sixth form college and Pembroke "are currently collaborating". Therefore: couldn't they just go on a day trip to visit Oxford? :tongue:

Rather than sending a couple of tutors to Hackney, perhaps Pembroke sent the college's Clerk of Works and a painter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending