The Student Room Group

Ubc vs nottinham (econs major)

The title is pretty self explanatory but, if fees wasn't and issue, where would you go and why? Also, globally, which uni is more appealing to firms? (I'm from Singapore and do intend to come back and work in SG eventually)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
He meant UBC = Uni of British Columbia.

Original post by jay1992
The title is pretty self explanatory but, if fees wasn't and issue, where would you go and why? Also, globally, which uni is more appealing to firms? (I'm from Singapore and do intend to come back and work in SG eventually)

Hi jay, i'm from Singapore and looking forward to going to UBC too.

Have you ORD-ed yet? :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Yeahp, i meant UBC. And no, i ord in dec..what about yourself?
Reply 3
I see that you're from NYU. OMG that's my dream college in the whole wide world!
Reply 4
Original post by jay1992
Yeahp, i meant UBC. And no, i ord in dec..what about yourself?

ORDed just not too long ago and i'm most likely heading to UBC this fall.
Reply 5
Original post by fellowjoe
ORDed just not too long ago and i'm most likely heading to UBC this fall.

Sounds sick mate..its difficult decision for me though. Ive lived in london for 3 years and am used to the uk. Then again, i wld love to try something different. Furthermore, with my intention to work in sg, i need a globally recognised uni. Was thinking of the states too but i can't be bothered with sats. I got into singapore management uni too
Reply 6
Nottingham is more reputable.
Reply 7
Original post by jay1992
Sounds sick mate..its difficult decision for me though. Ive lived in london for 3 years and am used to the uk. Then again, i wld love to try something different. Furthermore, with my intention to work in sg, i need a globally recognised uni. Was thinking of the states too but i can't be bothered with sats. I got into singapore management uni too

NO PUHLEASE don't come to Singapore!

Not being biased but if i were you, i would rather stay in the UK for college than go back to SG. So stifling, cut-throat and competitive.

And i can't comment about the UK but Canada seems better imo.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by yothi5
Nottingham is more reputable.
internationally?
Reply 9
Unfortunately no, as i figured its too expensive to attend NYU :C

But i have been to NYC though and i simply fell in love with it!
Reply 10
How are you paying for it?
Reply 11
I'm from UBC and the econ department here is great. Unless I go to LSE next year, which I might, I'll be doing econ here. I've taken econ 101/102 so far so I don't know much about the higher-level courses. The people I know in econ are really proud of their department. If you plan on doing postgrad UBC is well recognized, top econ department in Canada and ~20th in the world. I know econ grads going on to top US universities for their MA.

If you have any questions about UBC feel free to message me, I'm a Vancouver native as well. Also one of my insanely-brilliant friends on the debate team is from Singapore! She loves it here.

Also, while I don't know about Singapore, UBC is recognized v. well in Hong Kong.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by vdong
I'm from UBC and the econ department here is great. Unless I go to LSE next year, which I might, I'll be doing econ here. I've taken econ 101/102 so far so I don't know much about the higher-level courses. The people I know in econ are really proud of their department. If you plan on doing postgrad UBC is well recognized, top econ department in Canada and ~20th in the world. I know econ grads going on to top US universities for their MA.

If you have any questions about UBC feel free to message me, I'm a Vancouver native as well. Also one of my insanely-brilliant friends on the debate team is from Singapore! She loves it here.

Also, while I don't know about Singapore, UBC is recognized v. well in Hong Kong.

Yeah just a couple of questions:

1. A friend currently at UBC told me that everything but MacBook are incompatible in UBC. Though it doesn't seem to make much sense, is it true? Which brand of laptop are you currently using in school?

2. Is first-year residence application (especially for Totem/Vanier) on a rolling basis? I have applied for shared rooms but am now considering switching to single.

3. So many stories about Vancouver being very expensive sprung up; maybe in terms of housing, yes. But what about transport, clothing and food??
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
You guys realise that Nu was not a university till 1958 ??

that 1778 thing ia a load of C&*^p
Reply 14
NO PUHLEASE don't come to Singapore!

Not being biased but if i were you, i would rather stay in the UK for college than go back to SG. So stifling, cut-throat and competitive.

And i can't comment about the UK but Canada seems better imo.

LOL
Reply 15

1. A friend currently at UBC told me that everything but MacBook are incompatible in UBC. Though it doesn't seem to make much sense, is it true? Which brand of laptop are you currently using in school?

2. Is first-year residence application (especially for Totem/Vanier) on a rolling basis? I have applied for shared rooms but am now considering switching to single.

3. So many stories about Vancouver being very expensive sprung up; maybe in terms of housing, yes. But what about transport, clothing and food??

By single room I assume you mean 5 people per house or so and each get their own room? or do you mean single room in an apt type which I think you have to be 21 or over to apply for.
Reply 16
Original post by Azland
By single room I assume you mean 5 people per house or so and each get their own room? or do you mean single room in an apt type which I think you have to be 21 or over to apply for.

Its the former, i suppose.
Reply 17

1. No, it's not. My laptop is a Toshiba. Any laptop will do fine.

2. All first years have guaranteed housing at Totem/Vanier, I don't know of any first years who live at one of the other residences - those are for second/third year. So it's not rolling, because it's guaranteed. There's more single than shared so if you apply to shared it's quite likely you'll get single. By the way you have to have a meal plan with your residence. It's not cheap, ~$4000. Also, many people have to refill it. So look to about $4000-$5000 for your usual food.

3. Real estate is insane. In the entire city of Vancouver, as of 2012, there is not a single house <$500 000. If you don't get university residence for second year, this is relevant because you will have to search for a rental unit.
As for other stuff, it depends where you go. The 12% tax rate makes everything a bit pricier than your average US city. No restaurant meal will cost you less than $5. Sushi is really popular, yummy, and cheap here though so if you're okay with that you'll definitely survive. Clothes are expensive, but again, it depends where you shop - brand names are cheaper here than in east Asia but not as cheap as in the US. There's places like H&M and Forever 21 and Old Navy which are reasonably priced and where cheapos like me get their $10 shirts and $20 jeans.
Gas is also really expensive here so don't drive. Our transit system will get you anywhere in the city proper in less than an hour. If you go to UBC you get the UPass, which allows you to free transit access (well, you pay for it, but you can't opt out so it's built in to your student fees) for the school year.
Reply 18
I've done both -- pick UBC.

Academically it was pretty similar, but UBC is more term-time work/problem sets and Nottingham is more (well, all) exams. They both had their idiosyncrasies like modules being easy but having prohibitively difficult exams, and the odd bit of bad teaching, but on the whole, yeah, they're pretty similar. UBC has the edge for me though -- I preferred the student culture there, and it's definitely more reputable worldwide. I didn't get quite the same 'community' vibe that I got from the UoN Economics department, but the standards are probably better.

And Vancouver kicks the **** out of Nottingham as a city to live in, obviously. I've lived in both for more than a year each, and the quality of living in Vancouver is worth the higher living cost. I hate myself for using the term 'quality of life', but it just is.

Any other questions, feel free to DM or reply.
(edited 12 years ago)
haha UBC>Nottingham all the way. Is this even a question you have to ask? Nobody will have ever heard of Nottingham compared to UBC.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending