The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vintage
HBA was Anelka-esq before Newcastle though. So it was a massive gamble on our part to sign him. Espeically as we completed a £5.8m permament deal for him while he was still out with his broken leg. Quite risky.

While Cabaye, Tiote and Santon were proven abroad. Them replacing experienced premiership players such as Barton, Nolan and Jose Enrique was a risk.

Our young players we have brought in are very exciting too; Vuckic, Abeid etc.

And along with our ambitions to bring in the best British youth in the future.

Its looking very promising on Tyneside.

I can't wait to see what new gems Mr Carr finds us for next season :coma:

No doubt Man City will try to sign Mr Carr :awesome:
We really need the points tonight. Norwich, Fulham etc are right over our shoulders. I wish I was wumming but I can't say that I am. I can't believe we'll potentially finish below a newly promoted club after that summer of spending. Or that at Christmas we were what, 15/16 points adrift of Everton and now they are four points clear? :eek:

Anyway, it will be a difficult game. I wouldn't be surprised if we lost. I just hope we don't get any red cards or new injuries.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6262
Not that fussed about tonight. Semi's far, far more important. Hopefuly Gerrard and Enrique are rested and we get see to some more of Sterling.
Reply 6263
Don't really give a **** about where we finish in the league now, so long as we finish above Everton and top half of the table. Semi's more important - lose that and I think our season has been pretty much more of a fail.
Original post by Mess.
How are we similar to Inter Milan :confused: Some of our most integral players from during that period have left.

Your spine is the same, reina, carragher, skrtel, agger, gerrard. The loss of alonso was a massive blow, who at the time i thought was an average player but hes turnt out to be a lot more than that. You've bought in a few new strikers, and changed manager several times in the past few years. 3 parallels with inter.
But how are we meant to convince players to come if we finish 11th in the league? It's not even like it's a one off freak season, we've finished outside of the top 4 for the 3rd season now. We need to finish as high up the table as we can.

But I don't think we'll even make top 7 tbh. This team has been ridiculously bad since New Year and it's not going to change any time soon.
Original post by DontBeJelBeReem
Your spine is the same, reina, carragher, skrtel, agger, gerrard. The loss of alonso was a massive blow, who at the time i thought was an average player but hes turnt out to be a lot more than that. You've bought in a few new strikers, and changed manager several times in the past few years. 3 parallels with inter.

Our spine WAS Reina, Carragher, Mascherano, Alonso, Gerrard, Torres.

We've lost 3 of those players. Gerrard is 3 years older and injury prone. Carragher is not the same.

Because of this our spine HAS become Reina, Agger, Skrtel, Lucas, Gerrard, Suarez.

The major difference now being our other players are nowhere near as good as the spine, not even close. Also having a crock like Agger in your spine is not really good.

EDIT: Alonso was not an average player in the 08/09 season. He's was as big a reason we did well as Gerrard/Torres were.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6267
Original post by Zerforax
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/apr/10/the-question-steven-gerrard-liverpool

Raises some very interesting statistics. Not sure if it boils it down to statistics too much and thereafter creates something out of nothing. If Gerrard plays tonight, definately something I'll be keeping an eye out for.

If Liverpool are to be consistently top 4 again (more difficult now given the rise of Man City and Spurs), I think it will come too late for Gerrard. Henderson's supposed to take Gerrard's place eventually, but in order to get him game time he plays out on the right. I'd argue that Gerrard is better for us in the short term, but long term Henderson should be playing centrally with Gerrard out on the right or in behind Adam. His presence in the team does displace other players too, but not to roles that they wouldn't be expected to fulfil at some point.

I'm not a fan of quoting purely percentage statistics. I'd rather have a 1% shots to goals conversion from a player who 'causes' 1000 shots per game than a 100% rate from one whose influence only makes 5 chances per game. Pick more realistic numbers if you like, but hopefully my point is clear :tongue:

I think it's silly to say Gerrard has caused our dip in form though. Lucas is a big factor, Agger's been out for over a month where we've conceded 11 goals in 7 (league) games, where even our still pitiful average goals per game without Gerrard of 1.24 would have seen us lose more often than not. We've struggled to score goals, but if we want to do as well as possible in the league this season, look to the Merseyside derby - do you think any other player would have buried those three chances like he did? If we want to prepare for next season, get him to fill in for Lucas and try to get the other players to know each other in various systems.
Reply 6268
Doni Flano Skrtel Coates Johnson Henderson Shelvey Spearing Maxi Carroll Bellamy

Subs: Jones, Enrique, Agger, Aurelio, Suarez, Kuyt, Carragher.

thoughts? guess maybe half of the team won't play on Sat, but good to see Johnson back, hope he doesn't play much today!

Strong bench. Gerrard completely rested - hopefully for Sat and not injured....
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6269
So Bellamy isn't starting on Saturday.
Reply 6270
No Sterling on the bench :frown:

Meh team, looking forward to Hendo in the centre and Coates at centre back. Other than that, I'm fine with a draw.
Original post by Leelad
No Sterling on the bench :frown:

Meh team, looking forward to Hendo in the centre and Coates at centre back. Other than that, I'm fine with a draw.

Does Shelvey play in the middle or Henderson?
Reply 6272
Apparently the Hillsborough Justice Campaign have refused the £1000 donation? Are Liverpool fans going to boycott Jonathan Creek as well?

Loved this mind.:rofl:

This got me thinking, are we the British Barcelona?

Both have played some of the best football in Europe this season.
Both sadly are unlikely to win the title this season.
Both have a manager who is a club legend for both playing and managerial abilities.
Both have won a cup already this season and have the semi's of another big cup competition coming up.
Both are one of the biggest clubs in the world.
Both have a tradition of playing attacking pass and move football.
Both have to battle against 'borderline corrupt' empires (Franco's Madrid and Ferguson's United).

More precisely Barcelona might just be the Spanish Liverpool, because Liverpool FC will always be Liverpool FC. Things don't look too bad for the club from where i'm sitting.
Original post by Darth Vader 7

Both will play in the middle, with Bellamy/Maxi on the wings.
Reply 6274
Original post by Darth Vader 7

Depends on formation mate, if it's 4-2-3-1 then I imagine Shelvey will be in the middle of the park, with Henderson supporting Carroll up top. Could well be 4-4-2 though with Carroll and Bellamy upfront, in that case Hendo would be on the right :frown:
Reply 6275
Original post by mau5
Apparently the Hillsborough Justice Campaign have refused the £1000 donation? Are Liverpool fans going to boycott Jonathan Creek as well?

Really? Bit silly...
Johnson at left back?

Will either be a 4-3-3 with Shelvey left, Henderson right and Spearing holding or will be Shelvey partnering Spearing with Henderson in front.
Reply 6277
The refusal of the £1000 isn't something I agree with but you can at least understand their thought process and the principle as Davies has clearly donated a small amount just as a PR move.
Original post by Kevmeister
Both will play in the middle, with Bellamy/Maxi on the wings.

Saw a 4-4-2 formation on Sky Sports with Henderson on the right. Don't know if that is the predicted formation or the actual formation.

Original post by Leelad
Depends on formation mate, if it's 4-2-3-1 then I imagine Shelvey will be in the middle of the park, with Henderson supporting Carroll up top. Could well be 4-4-2 though with Carroll and Bellamy upfront, in that case Hendo would be on the right :frown:

I would be expecting a 4-4-2. Wouldn't that support Carroll more with a supporting striker? I don't know whether the 4-2-3-1 formation is tailor made for Carroll.

Original post by mau5

That guy has got to be trolling. He can't honestly be comparing Barcelona with Liverpool at the moment(no offense to Liverpool fans).
Reply 6279
Original post by a_t
Really? Bit silly...

Yep, I was bit disappointed he made the offer mind. I mean, I presume his manager/PR are the ones behind the donation, but still man. He's an intelligent bloke and was speaking complete sense, he doesn't need to be pandering to the kind of people who would complain. At least by refusing the donation they can stay offended that little bit longer and can wallow and twist about perfectly sensible comments and thoughts. Funny how the focus on being the victim and hard done by pushes out any mention of the time their own fans were responsible for murdering the Juve fans.

Latest