The Student Room Group

GCSE revision techniques?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KCheema
Sheepstick- Good idea! Haha.

let me know if you need help on biology there's loads of past papers and stuff what exam board are you on?
Reply 21
Original post by KCheema
Hi, I am currently studying at a secondry school in the process of finishing my GCSEs... I have 5 exams coming up in the June 2012 season and I need to gather some simple, yet effective techniques of revision. I have done the standard reading and writing side of revision, and I have also created some flash cards in which I am able to revise from. However, I can not think of any other techniques which will help to advance my knowledge and push my revision that step further. Any suggestions are welcome and very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance! :biggrin:

I have 14 :'(

oh, and past papers.
Reply 22
amirlad- Ah i feel sorry for you! Are you in year 11 or 10? I am in year 10 you see, the majority of my exams are in year 11. And thank you for the advice on past papers:biggrin:
lols im in yr 11 and i have 9 lucky me :tongue:
Reply 24
memorise your notes and go crazy on past papers.

(..and for maths use mathswatch and practice lots of past papers)
sit down, with a book, read it, sorted.
lol im more of a topoc domino person so you get questions and answers and go domino crazy lol it works and its kinda fun in a sad way :tongue:
Re-write/condense your school notes onto revision cards and whack them on the wall with links between them. That's what I do, then when I do a past paper I can use them if I get stuck on a question.
Also if you stick them on your wall then you'll know what you've covered when revising and what you haven't. Got me through GCSE's and is getting me through A Levels.
Also, there's a lot of proof that context can help when revising. So of you're exam is in a sports hall or assembly hall or classroom then revising in there would be good and would help.
i am dying with revision! my school leaves all the exams till the end of year 11 and hello 23 exams!
Original post by xoxlovelifexox
i am dying with revision! my school leaves all the exams till the end of year 11 and hello 23 exams!

omg thats gotta be hard i only have 9 i guess im lucky lol what are you sitting? i bed your working really late lol just remember sleep helps
Original post by sheepstick
omg thats gotta be hard i only have 9 i guess im lucky lol what are you sitting? i bed your working really late lol just remember sleep helps

i do this double maths thing where i get two maths gcses but in order to do that i have to sit 4 exams! business studies, ict, english lang, english lit, history, triple science and german! my school basically leaves all the exams till the end! your 9 exams are basically equivalent to all my science exams! what are you doing?
Original post by xoxlovelifexox
i do this double maths thing where i get two maths gcses but in order to do that i have to sit 4 exams! business studies, ict, english lang, english lit, history, triple science and german! my school basically leaves all the exams till the end! your 9 exams are basically equivalent to all my science exams! what are you doing?

maths, stats, english lit, enlgish poetry, science biology additional AQA, french reading and listening each separate , geography human and physical each separate papers and thats it :smile: you have my sympathy :smile:
Reply 33
I have the same situation in May. Firstly, make a revision timetable and stick to it, making sure you cover every subject that you do, especially those your weaker in. Don't just read your notes, make mind maps, flash cards, do past papers. Just find a way of revising that is good for YOUR own learning style. So if you are a visual learner - use posters, mind maps, post-it notes ect. If you are an audio learner, make recordings with your revision on and say things out loud. If you are a kinaesthetic learner, revise with a friend and walk around with notes as you learn them.
Reply 34
Hi everyone, Im a kinaesthetic learner and I need some revision tips as I feel I still haven't found my style. Its strange as I feel colour does nothing for me. Please quote me if you give me a reply so I can find it easily. Thanks.
Original post by 08rbut
Hi everyone, Im a kinaesthetic learner and I need some revision tips as I feel I still haven't found my style. Its strange as I feel colour does nothing for me. Please quote me if you give me a reply so I can find it easily. Thanks.

hey there,
that's a tough one. one of my friends is kinaesthetic learner too and she likes to walk around when she's drilling round learning facts and recite it out loud too. she basically just walks up and down saying the facts across a room. maybe try that?
I've heard of so many ways to revise! But personally i think the best ways are;
- Posters
- Reading and Re-Reading Notes
- Highlighters and Colour Coordination
- Flashcards
- Mind maps
- Internet
- Spider Diagrams
- Past Papers

I've just started year 10 and i have a pe theory end of topic test coming up this week and i really find it difficult to remember key words and their meanings but i find doing 20 mins of revision then going off and doing something then coming back and doing another 20 mins helps me focus more and its worth actually doing revision as there are no distractions and i can remember things by picturing them all on an a3 sheet. Hope this helps:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending