The Student Room Group

Standard Grade Geography...

How are you guys getting on with the revision? I just find doing pastpapers only helps me? I'm dreading sitting for about 2hrs with my hand aching! - I always write so much - are you guys the same? :-)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've not done as much geography revision as I should have, to be honest :colondollar:. I find past papers really useful too but the marking instructions are a bit minimal from time to time, so I don't know if I am doing questions the right way or not. I have the same problem too. I write far too much for some questions, normally the ones at the start, and then I have to rush to get finished.
Original post by andrewmc96
I've not done as much geography revision as I should have, to be honest :colondollar:. I find past papers really useful too but the marking instructions are a bit minimal from time to time, so I don't know if I am doing questions the right way or not. I have the same problem too. I write far too much for some questions, normally the ones at the start, and then I have to rush to get finished.

I'm not sure how useful it would be for SG as I can't remember how many marks questions are worth but at higher you are told to spend no more than 15 minutes on a question (there are 6 questions to be done in 90 minutes for Paper 1) and stop exactly as the time hits 15 minutes, stopping mid sentence if needs be.

Maybe you can work out how long you should be spending on each question and how much you need to write. Remember, there is no point in writing 10 marks worth for a question that is only worth 5 or 6.
Reply 3
Ah yeah. I asked my teacher about the amount of writing and she said an average answer with average handwriting is one full a4 page! I have quite small writing and in the prelim I got a 2. I think i'll just go over some of the main topics, farming, weather.. etc, and done some past paper q's as we have done quite a lot in class. The mapping questions always take me ages too!
Reply 4
I feel sick when I'm doing Geography past papers. I'm not sure If I'm doing the questions wrong or the Marking Instructions are too limited. I was getting mostly 1s and 2s for the whole 2 years and now I'm worried tbh :frown:
Reply 5
Hi thought this might help with Geography revision in order to get as much practice as possible.
Here's a link to all of the 2002-2006 Credit past papers
http://alexrsstuff.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/standard-grade-credit-geography-past.html
Hopefully this may help some of you...
Reply 6
Thanks! they'll do the trick!
Reply 7
Original post by ar54
Hi thought this might help with Geography revision in order to get as much practice as possible.
Here's a link to all of the 2002-2006 Credit past papers
http://alexrsstuff.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/standard-grade-credit-geography-past.html
Hopefully this may help some of you...

have you got the marking scheme for any of these?
Reply 8
does anyone know- the marking scheme on sqa, it is just a brief one, there are many other possible answers to the questions? :confused:
Reply 9
The more past papers I do, the more depressed I am.
The amount of thing that I don't know is endless.
I'm not sure If I should torture myself with more past papers or should I just revise my notes and "Study Guides". :frown:
Original post by Nessie162
The more past papers I do, the more depressed I am.
The amount of thing that I don't know is endless.
I'm not sure If I should torture myself with more past papers or should I just revise my notes and "Study Guides". :frown:

I'm exactly the same as you. I've been trying to cram the weather, rivers and ice stuff into my head, the least common-sensy topics, but I just can't take it in.:angry: I've been going over marking schemes in my past papers, but I still don't really feel I've done enough. I managed to get a 1 in the prelim and I only revised for a few days beforehand, but I only just scraped it by literally one mark. I'll be so glad when the exam's over and I can burn my notes.:tongue:
Add to that, the amount of stuff I have to learn for my Modern Studies exam on Friday. badtimes...
Reply 11
Original post by joanne25
does anyone know- the marking scheme on sqa, it is just a brief one, there are many other possible answers to the questions? :confused:

Yeah it's very brief, we were marking in class and teacher was saying "give marks for anything similar" & she has marked for sqa :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by ladymarshmallow
I'm exactly the same as you. I've been trying to cram the weather, rivers and ice stuff into my head, the least common-sensy topics, but I just can't take it in.:angry: I've been going over marking schemes in my past papers, but I still don't really feel I've done enough. I managed to get a 1 in the prelim and I only revised for a few days beforehand, but I only just scraped it by literally one mark. I'll be so glad when the exam's over and I can burn my notes.:tongue:
Add to that, the amount of stuff I have to learn for my Modern Studies exam on Friday. badtimes...

not fun!! I know all the topics I just forget to say the stuff when answering questions -.o , like... in adv and disadv questions I forget most stuff! :frown:
So, how do you guys feel today?! Geo tomorrow... oh Jesus. :eek:
revision, revision, revision, that's all I'm going to do today.

What do you think will be asked tomorrow? Especially in the Credit exam?
A question on corries and weather is bound to come up.
I don't know if I'd prefer the mapwork to be about a rural or an urban area, maybe urban.
I really don't feel prepared at all. I haven't really done much apart from reading over my notes a couple of times, and writing out marking schemes. I need to get off the computer and start doing some hardcore revision pronto.
Can anybody help with the Gathering techniques questions, I really get stuck with those ones...:confused:
Anyone got marking instructions for 2003 credit past paper? :smile:
Reply 17
Rachey, I'm the same! Gathering techniques always catch me out!! :frown:
Reply 18
Original post by RacheyDee97
Can anybody help with the Gathering techniques questions, I really get stuck with those ones...:confused:

I just found this... http://www.scalloway.org.uk/techniques.htm
Maybe it should help? :biggrin:
Original post by aimzox
Rachey, I'm the same! Gathering techniques always catch me out!! :frown:

Gathering techniques are so annoying! I find them a bit tricky, because I can't seem to come up with many justifications for them.
I hate mapwork, most of all though, it saps all my energy! It's depressing when you realise that you still have the rest of the exam to complete!

Quick Reply

Latest