The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry A F322 Chains, Energy and Resources Wed 23 May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Hello, can anyone tell me if these points would get me 3 marks for rate of hydrolysis, for example for iodine;
-idonie has the lowest bond enthalpy
-therefore the weakest bond
-so less energy is required to break bonds

Oh, and the procedure for rate of hydrolysis:
Add AgN03, in a waterbathwith NaOh and time the reate of percipitation, i think..corect me if im wrong.

For a fair test:
add equal amounts of halogen alkan
add the same chain lenghted halogenalkane
and use a water bath so it has constant temperate....am i right?

There's only a few weeks left so lets start asking each other questions. :smile:))
Original post by Myda
Yeah I'm starting to see that now! Thanks for the advice.
You mentioned msn/fb, I wouldn't mind doing it!

My facebook is : adam cusirinzon and my msn is : [email protected] get more simple than that lmao...send me a fb message tmos night when U wanna revise...we can use past paper questions
Original post by thescientist17
Well for January 2012 it's 83/100 :frown: June 2011 was 76/100 though.

Message me your msn, haven't been on it for ages but I'll add you, could do with someone to test me/ help out! :smile:

My facebook is : adam cusirinzon and my msn is : [email protected] get more simple than that lmao...send me a fb message tmos night when U wanna revise...we can use past paper questions
Reply 63
Original post by adamcusirinzon

Haha, simple is good :smile:
Reply 64
Original post by JohnSimmons
Only Alkenes can have E/Z isomerisation.

E is when groups are bonded to opposite sides of the double bond.
Z is when they bond to the same side.

Any question on this make sure you say CARBON CARBON double bond that CANNOT ROTATE.

Hope this helps :smile:

... Also, does anyone know what kind of raw mark is needed for 100% UMS?

thank you soo much
Reply 65
i can't get to any of the jan 12 papers, help anyone?
Reply 66
Hey :smile:
Just wondering if all the fractions in fractional distillation need to be known (or known in order)? :tongue:
Original post by Alotties
Just wondering if all the fractions in fractional distillation need to be known (or known in order)? :tongue:

I don't think you do because it's not in the specification?
Reply 68
Original post by phoebebuffay
I don't think you do because it's not in the specification?

I didn't think you needed to either but some of my class are insisting we have to s:
I didn't think you needed to either but some of my class are insisting we have to s:

Ask your teacher to be sure otherwise you'd be learning uneccessary information
Reply 70
Original post by phoebebuffay
Ask your teacher to be sure otherwise you'd be learning uneccessary information

I most likely won't be seeing my teacher before the exam.
I will try to catch him when I go in for exams but if he is teaching I won't be allowed.
I will look at the specification again to check I think :smile:
Hi, does anyone know what the boundaries are on average for 90% UMS / 100% UMS?

No, you do not need to know them.
Reply 74
Original post by breezybabe05
No, you do not need to know them.

Thanks! :biggrin:
Original post by adamcusirinzon

desperate for friends?
Original post by dellprinter
desperate for friends?

are you the guy I ignored when you added me :smile:? and no, just being nice and helping other people out...it's called being human, you should try it sometimes
Reply 77
Original post by ofudge
From what I've found, this exam is very attention to detail.
Make sure you state where your double bond is... make sure you cover every point in the statement, and learn your definitions! Every year at least two have come up. The definitions that you need to know are:

Enthalpy Change of Reaction: The number of moles of reactant as specified in the balanced equation react together.

Enthalpy Change of Combustion: The enthalpy change that takes place when 1 mole of compound COMBUSTS (NOT BURNS) completely with oxygen under standard conditions, all reactants and products being in their standard states.

The Enthalpy Change of Formation: The enthalpy change that takes place when 1 mole of compound is formed from its constituent elements in their standard state under standard conditions.

Radical- Species with an unpaired electron
Electrophile- Electron pair acceptor
Nucleophile- Electron Pair Donor
Average Bond Enthalpy- The average enthalpy change that takes place when breaking by homolytic fission 1 mole of a given type of bond of a molecule of gaseous species.
Activation Energy- The minimum energy needed for the reaction to start by the breaking of bonds.

Le Chatelieur Principle: The position of the equilibrium will shift to minimise the effect of any change in condition.

Functional Group- An atom/group of atoms responsible for the chemical properties of the compound and its reactions.

Homologous Series: Group of Organic Molecules with the same functional group and each successive member differing by CH2

Empirical Formula: The simplest whole number ratio of atoms of each element present in a compound.

General Formula: Simplest algebraic formula of a member of a homologous series.

Molecular Formula: The actual number of atoms of each element present in a compound

Structural Formula: Shows the minimal detail that shows the arrange of atoms in a molecule.

Displayed Formula: The relative positioning of the atoms and the bonds between them.

Skeletal Formula- Simplified organic formula shown by removing all the hydrogen atoms from alkyl chains, leaving just a carbon skeleton with associated functional groups.

Any More i've missed be sure to add them up :biggrin: good luck everyone :smile:

Nearlly all of you definitions are wrong... :confused:
I corrected most of them.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Namod
Nearlly all of you definitions are wrong... :confused:
I corrected most of them.

I know, I thought the same..
Hi guys

Any ideas about what you think might come up in this paper.
I personally think that those big questions that normally come towards the end of the paper where you have to analyse the i.r and mass spec and mr/empircal formuale and deduce the compound is going to come up, becuase it didnt come up in jan 2012.

what do you guys think?

:smile:

Quick Reply