The Student Room Group

Differentiating Universities (any help appreciated!) :)

Hello, Everybody!
I am a student at an American university and it is my dream to study in the UK , but I need your help! I really have no clue about the reputation of local schools.

I kind of have my heart set on going to London , but I’m open to hearing about other cities.

I am a psychology major and a double minor in Theatre and Mass Communications. In the UK I would really like to concentrate on Theatre and Mass Com (I just feel like London is the mecca for these areas).

I’m planning on being there for the whole academic year, but that’s still up in the air.

Please help me figure out which schools are the best for this!

Here is my school’s study abroad site if it helps http://uab.abroadoffice.net/united-kingdom.html

I was concentrating on London Metropolitan University, it seemed to have interesting courses. I read reviews from other study abroad students and it seemed great. However, when I read reviews from UK natives it seemed TERRIBLE. Does anyone have any insights?
I kind of shifted interest to University of Westminster but I don’t know much about this school either. Any insight?

My main goals in studying abroad is to learn theatre and film/tv/broadcasting in what I feel is the best place in the world to do it. Also I REALLY want to meet actual UK citizens not just other international students.

Thanks so much for your help!
Reply 1
Original post by jaycee4141
Hello, Everybody!
I am a student at an American university and it is my dream to study in the UK , but I need your help! I really have no clue about the reputation of local schools.

I kind of have my heart set on going to London , but I’m open to hearing about other cities.

I am a psychology major and a double minor in Theatre and Mass Communications. In the UK I would really like to concentrate on Theatre and Mass Com (I just feel like London is the mecca for these areas).

I’m planning on being there for the whole academic year, but that’s still up in the air.

Here is my school’s study abroad site if it helps http://uab.abroadoffice.net/united-kingdom.html

I was concentrating on London Metropolitan University, it seemed to have interesting courses. I read reviews from other study abroad students and it seemed great. However, when I read reviews from UK natives it seemed TERRIBLE. Does anyone have any insights?
I kind of shifted interest to University of Westminster but I don’t know much about this school either. Any insight?

My main goals in studying abroad is to learn theatre and film/tv/broadcasting in what I feel is the best place in the world to do it. Also I REALLY want to meet actual UK citizens not just other international students.

Okay, definitely do NOT go to London Metropolitan. It is terrible.
However, I had a look at your list and you should seriously think about going to other places not in London. You have an amazing array of places to choose from (St. Andrews, York, Leicester etc.) and shouldn't limit yourself to London. When it comes down to it, it won't particularly help you.
Either way, I'm sure studying abroad will be an incredible experience! :smile:
Reply 2
Hello, Everybody!

I promise you, you would be very disappointed with London Met - I've had a look at your Universities website, and it looks like you have the option of going to Queen Mary University in London (under 'Eurolearn') which is a good university. Goldsmiths college London would also be OK. There are also some amazing other places on there that you should consider, such as Edinburgh, York and Glasgow, which are all nice cities.
I'm struggling to see which universities are actually open to people on your course - could you provide a list?

London is ok . . . but it's horrifically expensive (especially accommodation - often twice the price that you would pay elsewhere). Furthermore both London Met and Westminster are absolute pits of universities - I really wouldn't recommend them at all. If you're going to London, then you want to be going to a university that is a part of the University of London (UCL, KCL, QMUL, LSE, Goldsmiths etc.). Personally I don't like London - I find it strangely claustrophobic, although other people love it. Don't forget that Britain is a fairly small island with excellent transport links, and it will always be fairly easy to visit London. If you want to get an idea of times & prices, go to www.nationalrail.co.uk and say that you have a 16-25 railcard (it gets you 30% off, and costs £28).

Edinburgh appears to be available to you. It's an excellent (top-tier) university in the Scottish capital. One big attraction for you would be the Edinburgh Fringe, which encompasses all sorts of live performances (google it - it's legendary).
Reply 4
Hello, everyone thank you for all your help so far and sorry it has taken me a while to reply!

Origami Bullets,
Some of the Universities include (it varies by program but these are the schools that appear a lot):
University of Hull
Westminster
Heriot-Watt University
University of Leeds
Westminster University London
University College London
University of Stirling
Regent's American College London
Oxford Brookes University
University of Aberdeen
Bangor University
Queen's University Belfast
Arcadia at University of Sussex
University of Cambridge
Durham University
University of Edinburgh
Glasgow School of Art
Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
University of Glasgow
Lancaster University
SOAS
University of Westminster
King's College, University of London
St. Mary's University College
London School of Economics
Royal Holloway University of London
Arcadia at Goldsmith's College, University of London
Queen Mary University of London
City University
University of Manchester
University of Nottingham
University of St. Andrews
University of Stirling
Swansea University
University of York
University of Dundee
Edge Hill University
Kingston University
University of Manchester
University of Kent at Canterbury
University of Strathclyde
Cardiff University
Birkbeck University of London
Laban London

A lot of them are ‘Program’ at ‘University’... whatever that means.
Reply 5
Hello, Everybody!

If you're concentrating on theatre, I'd recommend Queen Mary as its drama course is outstanding. Other good options, for this specific area could be Edinburgh, Goldsmiths, Manchester, Sussex or King's College :smile:
Hello, everyone thank you for all your help so far and sorry it has taken me a while to reply!

Origami Bullets,
Some of the Universities include (it varies by program but these are the schools that appear a lot):
University of Hull
Westminster
Heriot-Watt University
University of Leeds
Westminster University London
University of Stirling
Regent's American College London
Oxford Brookes University
University of Aberdeen
Bangor University
Queen's University Belfast
Arcadia at University of Sussex
University of Cambridge
Durham University
University of Edinburgh
Glasgow School of Art
Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
University of Glasgow
Lancaster University
SOAS
University of Westminster
King's College, University of London
St. Mary's University College
London School of Economics
Arcadia at Goldsmith's College, University of London
Queen Mary University of London
City University
University of Manchester
University of Nottingham

University of St. Andrews
University of Stirling
Swansea University
University of York
University of Dundee
Edge Hill University
Kingston University
University of Manchester
University of Kent at Canterbury
University of Strathclyde
Cardiff University
Birkbeck University of London
Laban London

A lot of them are ‘Program’ at ‘University’... whatever that means.

I've bolded those universities which are both held in high regard within the UK, and which have easy access to London. For that reason, St Andrews - whilst a great university and popular with Americans - hasn't been bolded, because it's a pain to get to/from. As mentioned before, London isn't the be-all and end-all. For instance, Cambridge has the famous 'Footlights' performing arts group, which has launched the career of many a successful actor and comedian, e.g. Simon Bird, and Cambridge is the British equivalent of Harvard.

Are there any other features of a university that are important to you?

I have to admit, however, that I don't know what the drama/media courses at any of those unis are like. There are definitely other people on here better placed to tell you about that, though!
Reply 7
Okay! I met with the study abroad adviser today (yay!) and she kind of concentrated on Hull University (because we have a reciprocal program with them) and Goldsmith (because she liked the program that goes to that school). Does anyone have any input on these schools?

Origami Bullets,
I mainly want whereever I choose to go to actually give me worthwhile and informative classes and life experiences in a foreign country.
Reply 8
I'm an American who went to Cardiff for my MA -- and absolutely loved it! I don't know so much about the theater program there, but I was often able to go to the theater and see performances in town and at Cardiff Bay. It's also very simple to get to London and I often did day/weekend trips there.

Just a sidenote, though -- if you're looking for a big city type environment (which may be why London came to mind), Cardiff isn't it. It's a fantastic city to live in, but terrible to visit, if that makes sense.

On the other hand, I'm moving to London in September to do another MA degree, so clearly my weekend trips there gave me the London bug -- from I'm from NYC and always felt at home in a bigger city.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending