The Student Room Group

Edexcel Geography DME;The Olympics

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bixel
Wow thankyou, that's really useful! :smile: Where'd you find this information? :biggrin:

The DME says everything needed is in the resource book... LIES :colone:

Teacher lol :smile:
Reply 441
Original post by Bixel
Here's a question that has me stumped. If anyone has an answer to this, feel free to post!

Study Figure 6 in the Resource Booklet.
Describe the ethnic structure in Newham in 2006 and suggest one reason why this might be?

I can describe the ethnic structure, but I'm struggling to suggest a reason for this.

Also, it was a cheaper area to live in (imigrants tend to be poorer and favour cheaper areas as a consequence) and for this reason a migrant community gradually built up. Future immigrants chose to live nearby fellow foreign nationals.
Reply 442
Original post by Bixel
Here's a question that has me stumped. If anyone has an answer to this, feel free to post!

Study Figure 6 in the Resource Booklet.
Describe the ethnic structure in Newham in 2006 and suggest one reason why this might be?

I can describe the ethnic structure, but I'm struggling to suggest a reason for this.

Refugees often have little belongings/qualifications from other countries may not be recognised by the UK = poor. Have to go to cheap areas to stay = Newham. It's not racist, it's just that if you're from a poor country (LEDC), then you're probably going to be poor, and then if you immigrate into the UK you won't be staying a high quality area.

I'm not sure the historical thing that was mentioned...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 443
Original post by SciF1
Also, it was a cheaper area to live in (imigrants tend to be poorer and favour cheaper areas as a consequence) and for this reason a migrant community gradually built up. Future immigrants chose to live nearby fellow foreign nationals.

Thankyou for this, this along with the previous answer together provides a really strong answer!

Original post by jjpneed
Refugees often have little belongings/qualifications from other countries may not be recognised by the UK = poor. Have to go to cheap areas to stay = Newham. It's not racist, it's just that if you're from a poor country (LEDC), then you're probably going to be poor, and then if you immigrate into the UK you won't be staying a high quality area.

I'm not sure the historical thing that was mentioned...

Ah yes, I remember now! Immigrants from from LICs (low income countries) moved to the UK to achieve a better lifestyle and higher income, however when they moved to the UK, living costs were high, so they moved to areas that were cheap to live in and so forth ties into SciFi's answer :P
Reply 444
what does the multiplier affect mean?
also does a question like "Describe how changes to housing by private developers may not be the best kind of housing for the people of east London?" asking for one side of the argument or both?
Reply 445
Alright guys, looking forward to getting this over with and having nothing to work for! :biggrin:
How long have you lot been taught for on this, we've been taught for 2 consecutive days and i don't think it was enough?
Also, what is the oyster ticket for, i know its for public transport but what is it exactly?
Reply 446
Original post by sophiekutie
No prob xx

heey have u marked it yet?! sorry to be annoying!
Reply 447
Original post by Jackass.
Alright guys, looking forward to getting this over with and having nothing to work for! :biggrin:
How long have you lot been taught for on this, we've been taught for 2 consecutive days and i don't think it was enough?
Also, what is the oyster ticket for, i know its for public transport but what is it exactly?

The oyster card is a card which you can load money onto and simply touch onto pads in stations to gain quick access to the platform. Its basically a system that speeds up passenger flow as you dont have to keep buying a ticket.
Reply 448
Original post by Adil16
what does the multiplier affect mean?
also does a question like "Describe how changes to housing by private developers may not be the best kind of housing for the people of east London?" asking for one side of the argument or both?

The positive multiplier effect is when there is an original investment in an area (for example, the Green Park), which in turn leads to more businesses in an area, which then provides more jobs, then the workers have more money to spend, more shops come to the area, more money spent in the economy, in turn services improve, which provides even more jobs and this continues and continues

For the question, it'll be best to firstly state why it isn't the best kind of housing (therefore answering the question) and then outlining briefly that even while it brings people in to town of a higher income (because they are able to afford such housing) it does nothing to benefit the local people, and therefore is not sustainable.

In turn you answer the question, and highlight the other side to even though it may be good in some cases, the disadvantages of the private housing outweight the advantages
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by V909
Could someone PLEAASE mark :biggrin: 1a)
Define the term 'sustainable development' [2] sustainable development is m eeting the needs of today without compromising the needs of the future. It could mean not exploiting non renewable resources to achieve environmental sustainability. Social sustainability can be achieved when it meets the needs of people from all parts of the community and economic sustainability is when there is reasonable wages and jobs for people.
b)
Study page 4 of the resource booklet. Outline the reasons why organisers say that they will not know the final cost of London's 2012 Olympic Games until after 2012. [3] This is because excess can be spent on things that were not planned in the budget and that will could heavily increase the money spent on the Olympics. You also do not know how much profit they will make through advertising or the exact ticket so can’t get a number until after all this is totaled up.
c)
Study page 4 in the resource booklet. What evidence is there that past Olympic venues have little or no use after the games have finished? [3] The Sydney’s 2000 games were a prime example showing how a site that had been invested into had been turned into something which is derelict. The Sydney games was not maintained for example the archery field was overgrown, the pool was full with stagnant water. This suggests that no one had any care for the Olympic site or even used it for their leisure activities. The housing was not even used because it was sold off to private buyers, as they had spent too much and needed more profit, so wasn’t used by the locals.
d)
Study page 5 in the resource booklet. Although the games are titled 'London 2012', what evidence is there that it will be a national event? [2] The sites are located mainly in London, so will be centred there. However, there are many sites that are away from London, so will also benefit those areas because of more tourists. Those sites include canoeing in Hertfordshire, Sailing in Dorset. The officials wanted to use some existing sites, to make it more sustainable which are located all over the country.
e)
Study pages 7 and 8 in the resource booklet. Identify two reasons why the site in Newham was selected as the best place to build the Olympic Park? [3] The site in Newham was the ideal site to be selected because it had brownfield sites that were cleaned and cheaper to buy so was environmentally sustainable. In Newham there are also excellent transport links which can cope with vast number of people coming into the area every day. For example, the Stratford international station has been developed, the DLR has been extended and is the most connected part of London outside of central London. The area is also a very deprived area and lacks education and jobs and there are high crime rates., as shown in fig. 7. The area could get a chance to regenerate by attracting tourists who would spend money causing people to have higher incomes and more job oppurtunities for the locals.
f)
Study pages 8 and 9 in the resource booklet. Why was Stratford described as the most 'connected' part of London outside of Central London? [4] This is because it can cope with the vast number of people who will be arriving by public transport. The public transport links are extremely good, there are good underground networks and rail networks linking to many cities. There are also good b bus links with 16 bus routes serving Stratford and 6 buses per hour. There are also coach links for places in the North of England.
Section B: /18
2a)
Study figure 5 in the resource booklet. Compare Newham's birth rate and life expectancy to the UK in 2001. [2]
b) In 2001 the birth rate was a lot higher than of the UK. It had a much more youthful population. In the Uk the life expectancy was much higher than Newham, where there were very few 50+ year olds.

Study figure 6 in the resource booklet. Describe the ethnic structure in Newham in 2006 and suggest one reason why this might be. [3] In Newham there is a mmore ethnically diverse population with a high percentage of asian and black people, contrasting to England which has only 7% of those ethnicities. This could be because these people had language difficulties or were unskilled so found it difficult to get good jobs. They migrated to the area for cheap house prices or for affordable homes.
c)
Using examples, suggest reasons why Newham is described as one of the most 'deprived' areas of London. [3] Newham is described as one of the most deprived areas in London because it has the highest deprivation of basic economic and social factors. For example there are a low number of jobs available and lots people seeking benefits . Theres also low education, housing and high crime rate. This could be caused by the low income, which is one of the lowest in England and wales, which is caused by the low education the population has. 34% has no educational qualificiations and 39.7% are in semi skilled or unskilled employment.
d)
Using evidence, explain why income is lower in Newham than elsewhere in London and the UK. [4] Low income, which is one of the lowest in England and wales, as shown in Fig,8, is caused by the low education the population has. 34% has no educational qualificiations and 39.7% are in semi skilled or unskilled employment. This means that they cannot get high paid professional or managerial jobs because they do not have those skills or education needed. This could be affected by the ethically diverse community, who have migrated and have had little education oppurtunities so can’t gain more income.
e)
Using figure 15, what are the positives and negatives of using a brownfield site over a greenfield site for development? [3] building on brownfield sites rather than greenfields sites is environmentally sustainable. This is because the Greenfield sites are valuable habitats for animals and plants. The Greenfield sites should be conserved for future generations. The brownfield sites however are contaminatd so need to be cleaned because of toxic chemicals from previous derelict buildings.
f)
Using evidence, describe the existing housing in Newham before development of the Olympic site began. [3] The housing before development consisted of densely populated housing estates mainly provided by the council or the housing association. This was because people hadf very low incomes and there was the highest amount of overcrowding in Newham than trhe whole of England and wales. It didn’t have enough family housing to cope with the youthful population. And there was a very high housing deprivation in Newham . Before the Olympic site was built students at the uni of east London, travelers and a cooperative sharing living community had to be relocated. The sharing living community enabled people of low incomes to share living costs.

Section C: /15
3a)
*Choose one Economic AND one Social option that would work together in order to create the best sustainable legacy for Newham in the future.
Economic: 1
Social: 5
Justify your choice as the best option for Newham's future. [9]
b) I believe that the green park for sustainable employment and research and the social option of building 10,000 affordable housing. This is because they will both work together in creating a economic, social and environmental legacy for Newham. The eco friendly businessesand research into green technology such as building materials, could be used in the building of the affordable homes making them more sustainable and powered by renewable resources, achieving environmental sustainability.
The high number of jobs that will even be suitable for the people of Newham, this is because there are plenty of unskilled or semi skilled jobs available. 34% of the population have no educational qualifications but can still gain an income, and reduce unemployment in the city. There are also many apprenticeships available for young people which would mean that there would be a higher skilled force in the future and even less crime in the present. The people who would be coming to Newham, or the families wanting to work in this green park would need affordable housing, because they would still be earning very low, one of the lowest in England and wales as shown in fig. 8. So, they need homes that prevent the overcrowding that is happening at present, and that are at low rents but suitable for their large families that shouldn’t be living in small flats.
The managerial and highly qualified people migrating to Newham would also be needing houses so would be able to also benefit from the large high quality houses that attract them. If they are attracted to the area they have a high disposable income because of their education qualifications and well paid jobs so boost the local economy because they spend on services and shops.
Overall, the two option would work together by achieving many types of sustainability because they would enable people all throughout the community (low earners, low skilled or young people) to gain jobs and also reduce the affordable housing deprivation in newham, which is one of the highest in England and wales as shown in figure 23.

1. A) 2/2 good
B) 2-3/3. I'm not quite sure, strange question but good answer :smile:
C) 3/3 that looks like a very good answer
D) 2/2 good answer
E) 2/2 very good answer
F) 2-3/4. Good point but it might have been better to focus on all of the transport links rather than talk about being able to cope with more people, Also, by saying this you might have actually lost marks as many people are questioning wether the transport system is going to cope with so many people.

2. A) 2/2 good answer
B) 3/3 good
C) 3/3 good
D) 3/4 maybe you could link lack of qualifications to having the poor jobs because they are not qualified enough to get good ones and get good wages x
E) 3/3 good :smile:
F) 3/3 you're doing really well :biggrin:

3. A) I don't think you answered this question?
B) 8/9 very good :biggrin: you could talk a little more about the green park option ( you should always write the same for each option) and link them together more specifically, you also might want to comment on the high quality houses and professional jobs created showing that it also benefits people in higher classes too :smile:

Really good answers :smile:. Sorry I took so long :frown: xx
Reply 450
Cheers SciF1, makes sense.
Another question, how do we answer the 6 markers? We got told with a 9 marker that we should use terminology, figures, quotes. Is this necessary for 6 markers, or just 3 explained points? On a downside, anyone else think this test relies too much on speed of writing rather than mainly content knowledge?
Reply 451
Good luck to anyone doing this exam tomorrow! There are so many year 11s in my school resitting this, which is quite a scarey thought. But alas, i just hope option 5 and/or 1 comes up and that my hand doesn't fall off due to writing an enormous amount in the exam :s-smilie:
Reply 452
On Section C what options will you guys pick and why?
Come on... last exam, the last paragraph in the GCSE chapter on my life!

COME AT ME GEOGRPHO
Reply 454
@the-hindu: I'll personally be choosing options 2 and 5 if we have to combine one from each. With option 2 i'd be going about how overseas investment could be brought in such as google, helping to raise the stature of Newham, possibly getting them out of the deprivation they face. Also, with new technology it will attract highly skilled/educated people to the area. If skilled, means more income which they can be spend in local area. Also the multiplier effect, as one business is attracted, means another is. Another is that new companies can train employers in skilled jobs.

Option 5 you'd be on about meeting the needs of newham with affordable housing for their youthful population with young families, looking for their first house. Jobs are created in the construction of these new affordable homes too. Social housing means low cost of rent, ideal for low income residents of newham. The private housing would bring in more professional and managerial workers who would spend money in the local area.
Reply 455
make sure you READ the questions and only answer what the question is asking you to do, many people get lost in the question and go off in a tangent and start talking all sorts, it is essential that you make sure you always stay relevant to the question! time is short only 1 hour! :frown: don't worry just relax now and wait to get the exam to be over i'm sure you'll all do fine.:biggrin:
Reply 456
Good luck to all tomorrow! :biggrin:
Good luck everyone!! I have a funny feeling that this thread isn't gonna close so remember, don't talk about the exam until midnight tonight! :biggrin: x
Reply 458
Unofficial mark scheme-there are more correct answers than shown below
Q1A east London (1)

Q1B two clusters in London around the river Thames(1),one in the east,one in the west(1).Also there is one venue in Scotland,one in Wales(1).No venues in Northern Ireland(1).Little venues in northern England(1). (4)

Q1C overcrowding,(1)the uk won the games not London(1),you can't surf in London(1).To distribute the games fairly(1).To avoid grid locking a major city(1). (4)

Q1D it has good public transport links which is good as it encourages public transports(1),which is good for sustainable games(1).It has no car parks in the Olympic park which is why the public transport *is so important(1)They have 7 tube and rail networks connecting all of London to Stratford(2).1 bus every 10 mins.4 major road connecting the rest of england to London(1). (6)

Q2A housing which is available for people to rent who are on low income(1)

Q2B young population,high *birth rate1).Lots of people working age leading to high unemployment(1).Low life exptancy compared to the UK(1). (3)

Q2C Newham is lacking in many essential needs in income,education and housing(1).It has highly unemployment than London with 6.7% compared to 3.4%(1) and has a higher rate of people with no qualifications,34% compared to London's 24%(1).It also is in one of the most deprived area of England(1). (4)

Q2D it creates 7000 temporary jobs (1)which helps the area as it has high unemployment(1) and 39.7% people in semi-skilled employment(1).It also creates jobs for the future(1).It will regenerate the area which is deprived as the poor housing is demolished(1).There will be a multiplier effect(1) as the games will bring money and income(1) (6)

Q2E Minimise water and energy use which is Eco-friendly(1).Minimise cars and transport by having no car parks in the Olympic park(1).Create more jobs which will benefit the locals(1).Encourage wildlife with natural habitats.(1).No real affordable housing for the local s so it doesn't meet aim 10(1).By having a lack of affordable housing it doesn't benefit all people in the community,aim 9(1).Overall conclusion(1)
Max 6.For each statement with further explanation and facts(2)

Q3A
(1) for each point made for your option and (1) for each explanation backed up with facts (up to 6)
(1) for mentioning 1 negative and (1) for explaining it,backed up with facts (up to 3 if explained well)
(1) for mentioning why each other options are not as good.(1) for explanation backed up with facts(up to 3 if explained well)
The question was out of 9,so to get 9 marks you must have gained some marks from each part.Only mention two section of the above,max (8)

Q3B
(1) for each point made for your option and (1) for explanation backed up with facts.(up to 3 if explained well)
(1) mention 1 negative with an explanation backed up with facts(1) (up to 2)
(1) explain why other options aren't as good and justify(1). (up to 2)
Overall to get all 6 marks you must have some marks from each section.If you only mention 2 from the above,max(5)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Sam_1996
Unofficial mark scheme

Thanks for posting!! (very quick! xD)
Are these your answers? Just wondering where you got them from? X

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending