The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

Help!

Hello once again, my name is Andi and I am from Romania and I have kinda big problem TT^TT.

First of all, Aberystwyth University asked me to get 8/10 in Romanian Baccalaureate Exam but, sadly, I only got 7.58 but I really wish to join the university! Also, there is this organization that I applied through and said they gonna try and talk with the uni so I can join but..

I also have been sending them a mail in which I tell them how much I wanna study there, hope that wasn't a mistake plus I made it in a polite way ^_^ I thought that they would rather want people that actually want to join the uni then ones who are careless right? Also, I mailed my results and everything they asked for this Thursday and they usually reply fast (asked for a reply e-mail so I know they got my documents) but Friday is gone now and I still have no reply. Should I get scared? TT^TT

Also, other minor questions are:

1. Who else would be in the media and communication course?
2. Is there anyone who I could talk about some other stuff regarding the city over msn/skype? ><
3. I'm more of a tomboy and I really like 'trashy' clothes like baggy jeans and skaters. Are there any places from where you can buy them there?
4. One last question... ANY ANIME FANS AROUND? >3<

Thanks for your time and I'll be waiting for a reply ^^
Reply 1
Original post by AndiD
Hello once again, my name is Andi and I am from Romania and I have kinda big problem TT^TT.

First of all, Aberystwyth University asked me to get 8/10 in Romanian Baccalaureate Exam but, sadly, I only got 7.58 but I really wish to join the university! Also, there is this organization that I applied through and said they gonna try and talk with the uni so I can join but..

I also have been sending them a mail in which I tell them how much I wanna study there, hope that wasn't a mistake plus I made it in a polite way ^_^ I thought that they would rather want people that actually want to join the uni then ones who are careless right? Also, I mailed my results and everything they asked for this Thursday and they usually reply fast (asked for a reply e-mail so I know they got my documents) but Friday is gone now and I still have no reply. Should I get scared? TT^TT

Also, other minor questions are:

2. Is there anyone who I could talk about some other stuff regarding the city over msn/skype? ><
3. I'm more of a tomboy and I really like 'trashy' clothes like baggy jeans and skaters. Are there any places from where you can buy them there?

Thanks for your time and I'll be waiting for a reply ^^

Hi, Andi,

As for the application, I think the waiting means they are considering your application even if you didn't fulfill the conditions. Sending them the extra e-mail shouldn't count as something negative AFAIK. There's a lot fewer students applying for Aberystwyth this year, so there's a bigger chance you'll make the final cut than last year.

1. Dunno
2. There's a FB-group, '2012 Aberystwyth University Applicants Social Group' or something. Might find some help there.
3. Absolutely no clue.
4. In the FB group i mentioned in answer 2, there seems to be quite a few.
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Reply 2
Thank you a lot for your time, I think I was accepted! Got a mail not long ago saying that c: thanks a lot!
Reply 3
Aber is known for its high reputation in Computer Science, so I would really imagine a large % of students that enjoy anime.
Original post by AndiD
-

To answer your initial question would be impossible on here. To answer basically, if you haven't achieved the requirements set by Aber then you haven't automatically got a place unless Aber have said different. As you have already done, I suggest contacting the university applicants department and the course department to ask for advice.
As Monomachos has already posted, there is a Facebook group that has over 200 members. I am also a member in that group, in the group there is a wide range of nationalities so you should find someone a little closer to home! Course wise, if you create a post and ask around your sure to find someone. :smile:
Anime - don't get them started!! There are many people in the group who love anime, you'll fit in straight away!
Conversations in the group can range from where the cheapest toilet roll can be found in Aber to horse related problems and not forgetting those drunken messages. :biggrin:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/277618982278680/

There are many shops in Aber that will sell clothes to suit your taste. Baggy jeans and skaters (shoes I presume), are readily available so do not worry! The nationwide shops Topshop, Next, Matalan, Peacocks to name a few not forgetting lots of great smaller independent shops.

One last thing though - please do not think Aberystwyth is a city, it isn't.
I do not want you to get thinking that you are prospectively moving to a big bustling city somewhere in the UK. Aberystwyth is a small seaside town that has all of the needed amenities and much more, but nothing of the sort that a city would. For example, those who love to shop end up going off to Birmingham (3 hours by train) for the day to get their shopping fix if the town isn't enough for their needs.

Good luck gaining your place. I may well see you around Aberystwyth come September! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Thanks Ram, today I finally got the official message from UCAS aaaand I'm accepted <3 I've tried entering the group but they denied me 2 times, I also sent a message to some of the admins but they didn't reply and that makes me sad :frown:
I am aware of the fact that Aberystwyth is a town. That's why I have chosen Aberystwyth over Glamorgan (which if I am right it's in Cardiff or near)
I really hope I'll meet you Ram you seem like a really nice person! =D thanks a lot ^^~

Quick Reply

Latest