The Student Room Group

Is it likely to be a problem socially if I don't drink at university?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by py0alb
well yeah obviously.

But thats only a small fraction of what alcohol has to offer, its like saying "sex is no fun" (and by sex I mean sex with strangers in public toilets).

Sex with strangers in public toilets is the best though. (kidding)

But on your general theme of Alcohol has something to offer everyone, I can see where you are coming from but it's a little myopic. Alcohol has nothing to offer an alcoholic as it is a bad addiction just like crack, and slowly killing them. Alcohol has nothing to offer a depressed person as it is the worst form of self-medication which will simply make their condition worse. And obviously the self will of abstaining from alcohol from religious reasons gives them more joy than the occasional pint of mild would.
Reply 61
Original post by F Ellen
Ooh really? You're completely disregarding medical conditions here, then? Alcohol is a drug which produces a range of side effects, and doesn't necessarily affect everyone the same way.

Not true. The effects of alcohol are well documented and there is very little variation from person to person, other than in scope.

This statement is not only generalising, it's completely untrue! I don't even know where to start with it!

By the way, sex and alcohol are not the same thing. Alcohol is a drug that affects the mind, health and behaviour, and not always positively. Once you've consumed it you have no control over what it does to your body - it's nothing to do with "doing it wrong".

I'd like to point out that I don't see alcohol as inherently bad, I have many friends who drink and I'm not some sort of anti-alcohol activist. I'm just disagreeing with your "alcohol is great for everyone" opinion.

Like anything else that is fun in this world, alcohol is only bad for you if you abuse it. But then that applies to everything. If you listen to too much music you will go deaf, but that doesn't stop music being fun.
Reply 62
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
Then you can't possibly make this statement, can you? You'd have to try to experience your social life with drinking and social life without drinking then and only then can you compare and state whether it's hindered or advanced or stayed the same.

Of course I still can. What doors is drinking alcohol going to open for me that i've not already experienced? Heroin-filled orgies with Japanese lap-dancers on a table made entirely from matchsticks?

There's nothing I wouldn't experience whilst drunk that I haven't whilst sober. I can easily make this statement.

End of the day - You don't need to drink to be A.) Socially accepted at Uni or B.) Socially involved at Uni. Anyone who states different just has issues with their own social security when sober.
Reply 63
Original post by Schmucks
Never. I don't drink. And I know it isn't something that has, in any way, halted me from any experience at University.

Apart from the experience of drinking, that is. Or of being nicely fuzzy, happily merry, or hilariously drunk. Or the taste of a nice cold lager after a hard day at work. Or the joy of trying a new real ale, or a glass of wine with a meal, or a cocktail by the beach, or any of a whole myriad of life's little enjoyments.

Other than that, you haven't missed anything, no.
Of course I still can. What doors is drinking alcohol going to open for me that i've not already experienced? Heroin-filled orgies with Japanese lap-dancers on a table made entirely from matchsticks?

There's nothing I wouldn't experience whilst drunk that I haven't whilst sober. I can easily make this statement.

End of the day - You don't need to drink to be A.) Socially accepted at Uni or B.) Socially involved at Uni. Anyone who states different just has issues with their own social security when sober.

Nope, you can not. How can you talk compare drinking + social life vs non-drinking plus social life without having tried both for a considerable amount of time? Maybe it won't do anything for your social life, maybe it will be just as great, heck maybe it could worsen it but unless you try drinking and experience a social life with it, you can't talk about the effects of not trying it has had on you.
Reply 65
Original post by py0alb
Apart from the experience of drinking, that is. Or of being nicely fuzzy, happily merry, or hilariously drunk. Or the taste of a nice cold lager after a hard day at work. Or the joy of trying a new real ale, or a glass of wine with a meal, or a cocktail by the beach, or any of a whole myriad of life's little enjoyments.

Other than that, you haven't missed anything, no.

So not drinking means you miss out, but drinking means you don't? Doesn't work that way - I can list many things i'll be guaranteed to experience which you won't thanks to not drinking. Swings and roundabouts.
Reply 66
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
Nope, you can not. How can you talk compare drinking + social life vs non-drinking plus social life without having tried both for a considerable amount of time? Maybe it won't do anything for your social life, maybe it will be just as great, heck maybe it could worsen it but unless you try drinking and experience a social life with it, you can't talk about the effects of not trying it has had on you.

Of course I can, because it's not an unopened gate into the relms of mystery. The idea of 'drunken' behaviour and reactions to it are not mutuslly exclusive to all people. Sure, there are difference between certain people, but generally there is a limited number of reactions to it, all that i've witnessed in other people. I don't need to experience it myself to see and know what it's like.
Reply 67
So not drinking means you miss out, but drinking means you don't? Doesn't work that way - I can list many things i'll be guaranteed to experience which you won't thanks to not drinking. Swings and roundabouts.

This argument is retarded.

If you never drink then you miss out on the experience of drinking. So much is obvious.

But If you do drink, that doesn't mean you miss out on being sober, does it? Do you think people who drink are permanently drunk from then on?
Reply 68
Original post by py0alb
This argument is retarded.

If you never drink then you miss out on the experience of drinking. So much is obvious.

But If you do drink, that doesn't mean you miss out on being sober, does it? Do you think people who drink are permanently drunk from then on?

You miss out on cheaper nights out, the gaurantee of no hangover etc. Swings. Roundabouts.
Reply 69
You miss out on cheaper nights out, the gaurantee of no hangover etc. Swings. Roundabouts.

I was on antibiotics once, and experienced the joys of alcohol free nights out more than enough for one lifetime thanks. So I haven't "missed out" on anything.
Its also perfectly possible to drink alcohol without suffering a hangover you know, or indeed any adverse effects whatsoever.

Your argument is extremely unconvincing, to such an extent that almost the entire population of the Northern Hemisphere quite obviously disagrees with you.
Reply 70
Original post by py0alb
I was on antibiotics once, and experienced the joys of alcohol free nights out more than enough for one lifetime thanks. So I haven't "missed out" on anything.
Its also perfectly possible to drink alcohol without suffering a hangover you know, or indeed any adverse effects whatsoever.

Your argument is extremely unconvincing, to such an extent that almost the entire population of the Northern Hemisphere quite obviously disagrees with you.

Well that's not true, now, is it? :smile:

You're right, you don't always suffer a hangover when drinking. That's not what I wrote though, is it? Maybe drinking has made it harder for you to read properly. :frown: :console:
Reply 71
Well that's not true, now, is it? :smile:

You're right, you don't always suffer a hangover when drinking. That's not what I wrote though, is it? Maybe drinking has made it harder for you to read properly. :frown: :console:

It seems he is totally incapable of understanding others points of view, typical narcissist, its very common amongst alcoholics.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 72
Glad i found a thread on this, i was worried about the same thing. Going into University and i've felt that i did all my drinking a long time ago, young and stupid. I just hope i can find some chilled people in Uni and have some good smokes :smile:
Reply 73
--

(edited 11 years ago)
crack is awfully moreish

you probably won't miss out on much fun, IF (and that's a big if) you still do all the social going out activities everyone else does. i actually applaud non-drinkers, on the odd night i've tried to stay sober i've got to maybe about 1 o clock, got bored and decided to get in a massive round just for me.

one place where you probably won't be able to avoid is sports social events, which revolve heavily around drinking. if anyone tries to tell you otherwise, then they are lying. the social aspect of sport is hugely alcohol orientated. i know plenty of people (me included for a while) who are members of sports clubs just for the social aspect. and by social aspect i mean chopping pints.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by py0alb
Alcohol doesn't affect anyone negatively who doesn't having an underlying psychological issue. Thats an exception, granted, but its a pretty damn rare one and I don't think we can assume it applies to the OP.

I think sex is an excellent comparative example. Both are extremely fun, popular activities that make us feel amazing. If someone says "I don't like sex", we wouldn't say "thats ok, sex clearly isn't for you", we would say "then you're doing it wrong".

Well thats the same logical, considered reply I am giving to someone who says they don't like alcohol. Alcohol has something to give to everyone, if you don't like it, then you're doing it wrong.

Alcohol is a drug which has different effects on everyone. Sex is a natural experience shared between two humans. You cannot compare the two. Alcohol, obviously makes changed to the brain and the body, and these are different for different people, so some will feel good, and some bad. Whenever I drink, I feel great at first, and then feel incredibly down. Therefore I limit myself to one or two and then stick to soft drinks. When drinking alcohol, its important to ensure that you know your own limit. Thats the crux of the matter really. Generally, If you drink too much too often you're going to get into trouble. I admire the non-drinker, but I also understand how awkward it can feel to be the only one not drinking in a social situation, so that's why I have one or two with everyone else, but just because someone else doesn't want to drink, doesn't mean they're doing anything wrong. It's their choice and it should be respected.
Reply 76
Original post by Old Father Time
Sex is a natural experience shared between two humans.

So?

Original post by Old Father Time
You cannot compare the two.

Why not?
Heyy!

I didn't move to University and don't really drink that much. But it wasn't really an issue that i didn't drink i used to stay at my friends who i met up there and went out and just didn't drink! If you can have fun without a drink you go for it!

Good luck :smile: X
Reply 78
Ok from experience people will alienate you, not intentionally but they end up doing so nonetheless......bu they are not worth your time. There are many people who are not into getting blind drunk every night. If you don't drink you don't drink. I hate this culture where not drinking one type of liquid makes you odd. Imagine being in a country where not liking orange juice made you weird.
Original post by n00
So?

Why not?

Well what similarities are there? Sex is natural and releases hormones. Alcohol is a drug which produces short term artificial euphoria and then is also a depressant which creates negative feelings and emotions. Alcohol is poison which is consumed and strains the body and brain, and makes people feel hungover during the process of leaving the body. Sex is for sexual excitement and reproduction. The similarities are very few in comparison to the differences so therefore its a bad example to use in my opinion.

Quick Reply

Latest