The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

Portsmouth Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 660
I think as far as keeping active is concerned I'll skip the gym and stick to jogging in the evenings and playing loads of football. Maybe start doing some more core and leg exercises, but ultimately, I'm going to do it for free. Can't deal with gyms, nor the fees...
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Original post by AaronM1D1
I think as far as keeping active is concerned I'll skip the gym and stick to jogging in the evenings and playing loads of football. Maybe start doing some more core and leg exercises, but ultimately, I'm going to do it for free. Can't deal with gyms, nor the fees...

I'm in a top floor flat - does that count?
You freshers are gonna have so much fun! Wish I was a fresher moving into halls again.... Oh well, two weeks till I move back to Pompey, can't bloody wait :biggrin:
Reply 663
Original post by 26daystoworkwith
You freshers are gonna have so much fun! Wish I was a fresher moving into halls again.... Oh well, two weeks till I move back to Pompey, can't bloody wait :biggrin:

I don't doubt that, the finances might spoil it a bit though. Not sure if you had the same problems 1 or 2 years ago.
Reply 664
Original post by raechelle
I'm in a top floor flat - does that count?

They say stairs are your best friend if you want a free workout. :P

Although I had a look around at the 24/7 gym that's fairly close to Guildhalls, and it's only something like £20 per month. Then again, I'm too body-conscious so I think I'll just stick to getting fitter in the shadows.
Original post by nmr1991
I don't doubt that, the finances might spoil it a bit though. Not sure if you had the same problems 1 or 2 years ago.

Finances(?) weren't a problem, did a weekly budget and stuck to it! Bear in mind the loan won't come through until the second week of term tho, so you'll need your own money to get you through the first week/freshers.
Reply 666
I applied for MA Marketing at the University of Portsmouth and I was accepted.. :smile: but I might have some problems with the accommodation.. I didn't complete the proper form by the deadline so I send them an e-mail if they could help me now. I really want to live in halls of residence..
Reply 667
When opening an account with Cooperative Bank, it doesn't say you got to deposit £300 to open it, it says that for Year 3's overdraft of £2000. It's so unfair seriously, why do these people make things so hard?
Reply 668
did anyone else not get into halls? studying English and currently homeless!
Reply 669
Original post by katies94

I'm studying Psychology and living on the streets :/ ha
Reply 670
Original post by Sistayy
Just applied through UCAS. Looking forward to hear from them ! Anyone applying for Languages and European Studies ?

Yeh I'm doing French! What about you?
Original post by nmr1991
When opening an account with Cooperative Bank, it doesn't say you got to deposit £300 to open it, it says that for Year 3's overdraft of £2000. It's so unfair seriously, why do these people make things so hard?

I applied to that the other day; I was under the impression you had to deposit £300 like straight away? Confused, haha!
Reply 672
I was told by moneysavingexpert.com that you had to pay an initial deposit of £300 but it didn't say for what, where I looked on another money website and it said you needed the £300 to both activate the overdraft and receive the debit card. Right now they are making things difficult, telling me to go the local branch just to find out I have to do everything online, and they post back telling me to go back to my local branch and give the documentation (proof of address or identity) which I have additionally with my AS12 letter, it's just back and forth, they're just being silly, this is one reason not to go with Co-Op bank and another reason why I should give up and just go with my local bank Barclays.
Original post by AaronM1D1
They say stairs are your best friend if you want a free workout. :P

Although I had a look around at the 24/7 gym that's fairly close to Guildhalls, and it's only something like £20 per month. Then again, I'm too body-conscious so I think I'll just stick to getting fitter in the shadows.

What gym was that? the ST pauls fitness center? (i think this one is run by the uni)

What are the facilities like?
Mainly interested in the free weights / amount of benches / squat rack / room for deadlifts.

cheers !
Reply 674
Just got into Portsmouth to study History but so disappointed as have not got into halls. Apparently there is some housing event which will be held at the weekend where people will try and get together to rent. All sounds difficult to me as was really looking forward to the halls experience.
Original post by katies94
Reply 675
Just got an email and started to register myself on the student portal as well as their Virtual Learning environment which also includes their own Google Mail service, I was just wondering if anyone has started this yet because I put my current home address as the same as term time address, I want to know if I did this right because I might need to change it to the James watson D block address which is on the E-intro booklet. I also chose the payment plan to be credit/debit card instalment plan as I want to pay every term instead of every month.

Not sure why they are asking about the disabilities and stuff because student finance already know it, and so should the university.

It said there were 4 steps on my email but only the first 3 steps can be taken now while the 4th will be completed when I actually go there to produce personal ID like provisional licence. The other annoying thing was that I needed to produce a image of myself which needed to be uploaded from computer, but luckily i'm good at photoshop so I edited out the background and replaced it with plain white. This image was needed for the campus card which you would get when you go there which gives you free access for student bus, library and buildings.

I just wanted to know that I got everything correct, if this was the same with previous years?
Reply 676
Hey fellow Portsmouth student!

For my registration I put my term time address as my halls address (I'm over in Langstone Student Village) as I'll be living there during term time and not at home. I chose the payment plan that allows you to pay in 3 installments using a Debit card -- I believe that this can be changed at a later date.

Everything else we have done the same, except I sent my passport photo in for the Campus Card because I'm awful with photoshop and I couldn't be bothered to take another photo :P

I can't say if this is the same with previous years for sure, but my boyfriend has just finished his second year and said his registration had to be done in person, so doing it online may be a fairly new thing.
Reply 677
I thought the payment was for tuition fees if your paying yourself and if its through student finance it doesnt apply because st
udent finance pay it. I may be wrong though
Reply 678
Umm, there's the halls fees payment, which can be done by debit or credit card, and then there's the tuition fees which are paid by the student loans company (or out of your own pocket if you're loaded :P)
Reply 679
Yh I know but the links on that particular page was for tution fee which made me think its about tution fees rather than halls. Also we already said how we will pay halls in the e.intro
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending