The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I'm doing C4 atm and as far as I can tell the Solomon papers they've given us are generally slightly harder than the real OCR questions.
Looking at what I wrote for paper L last year, I remember it was an especially hard paper, partuicularly q2 and 5 - that is one of the nastiest log questions I've seen.
On the other hand, in my real C2 exam the questions were fairly similar so it's best to prepare for the worst...
Reply 2
q5b was quite nasty, but I managed to get the answer in the end. The one I dont understand is question 3, what parts of the book are relevant? In the trig1 chapter of my book , there is a thing for sectors, but these are not your average sectors.

BTW I'm doing exexcel spec, I dont think there is anything about q3 in that spec :\
Reply 3
do you mean question 2? or have I just noted it down wrong?
Reply 4
because if I have then I'll look a bit stupid resonding to it here:

1. Find area of the tiny crappy little sector thing by taking away the area of one equilateral triangle (=0.5 x r x r x sin60) from the area of a large sector (=pi/6 x r x r).
2. Then you can calculate the area of one big white bit by adding the area of one equilateral triangle with 2 tiny sectors.
3. So the shaded area = area of semicircle - (2 x area of bit white bit).

there's no special formula here just quite a bit of work
Reply 5
Nope, dunno which paper that is from. I'm talking about this question:

Figure 1 shows a circlle of radius r and centre O in which AD is a diameter.

The points b and c lie on the circle such that ob and oc are arcs of circles of radius r with centres A and D respectively.

Show that the area of the shaded regioun OBC is (1/6)r^2 (3x3^(1/2) - pie)

I think i see whats up there, seriously nasty and annoying question though !

I was missing the bit of ob and oc being arcs of circles with radius R.
Reply 6
yes... infact some of the practice papers i did were even harder (at least some of the questions anyway)... it would be best to practice real exam papers because afterall, you wouldnt be doing solomon papers in the exam...
Reply 7
But I cant find the new edexcel spec c1 and c2 papers anywhere :\ At least not with marking schemes.
Reply 8
Coolraj
yes... infact some of the practice papers i did were even harder (at least some of the questions anyway)... it would be best to practice real exam papers because afterall, you wouldnt be doing solomon papers in the exam...

But doing something that are based on the same questions but slightly harder is more beneficial than doing exam papers. There are only 3 real exam papers. You have to look for other exam papers that are like the real exam papers.
Reply 9
Ah, examsolutions.co.uk to the rescue :smile:

Looking over some of the past papers, they're childs play in comparison to solomon.
Reply 10
insparato
But doing something that are based on the same questions but slightly harder is more beneficial than doing exam papers. There are only 3 real exam papers. You have to look for other exam papers that are like the real exam papers.

agrees but there is no point in doing solomon papers when the exam is only a week away! you must start doing real exam papers now... only then you will finish the three exam papers available! that is your best chance in my opinion! :biggrin:
Reply 11
oO,

I'm thinking of doing all 3 in one day, then getting stuck into solomon + all the excercises in my book :|
Reply 12
wais
I'm thinking of doing all 3 in one day, then getting stuck into solomon + all the excercises in my book :|

that was a very bad idea in my opinion... don't do all three in one day... do one a day. that way you will get time to compare your answers with the mark scheme and improve...

Latest