The Student Room Group
Libeskind Graduate Centre
London Metropolitan University
London

London Metropolitan University... A Proper Review

I've been reading on this forum for over a year, but this is the first time I am actually starting a thread. I think it is time to set the record straight on London Metropolitan University from someone that studies there! Frankly, some of the rubbish that gets spouted on this forum is absolutely ridiculous. I have just finished my first year studying Aviation Management at Moorgate.

Teaching

Pretty good. Teachers have bags full of relevant experience and enthusiasm. Overall though, I have had better in college. The exception is one visiting lecturer who has been fantastic. Absolutely top drawer. Superbly organised, simple presentations with working diagrams. He also takes it personally when the class as a whole for one part of the module has done poorly on something.

Facilities

Not the best, but adequate. The city campus is located right in the middle of the financial district. At the Tower Building there is a working aircraft simulator (Beechcraft King Air B200), although whether or not that will still be there in October remains to be seen with the universities' financial problems. Some of the buildings seem quiet tired on the inside; this is unlikely to improve due to finance.

Although there has been some investment in new equipemtn, some of the computers are painfully slow. This could be the norm in most unis though?

The library is well stocked with decent amounts of useful text. Bloomberg is also available for banking/finance students.

Student Experience

Non-existant from what I've seen. Don't get involved in it to be honest.

Accomodation

Not applicable for me. Commute every day. Mostly a commuter university with most students coming from suburbs and surrounding towns.

Perception

Whilst the protracted dispute with the previous management was going on, there was real fear from the students and staff that they would be blacklisted because of London Met. My course is probably the highest in the university; no other course had higher UCAS requirements. With only a few exceptions, the students in my class are not just going there to stay out of work and to improve government employment figures, they have a real passion and a desire to do well.

The new regime that have taken over seem pretty good, although there still is a long, long way to go. I went to an open day at the new VCs previous university. He seems exactly what this university needs, someone that cares for the student! The first of his changes has been to include the uni in newspaper league tables from next year.

Would I recommend it?

To people considering this university: don't listen to the morons and WUMs on this messageboard that have never set foot in the university. Yes, the uni caters for a particular niche of taking on students from disadvantaged backgrounds, but give it a chance!

At times I felt why did I pick this university?! How do I transfer!? However as the months wore on, it definitely got better. My department has been excellent anyway. Obviously I cannot say for the other departments.

Scroll to see replies

I think your review is brilliant and I totally agree with you in regards to the cloud that seems to surround it.
I've just been accepted into London Met and I'm actually really excited about it. Its not my first uni, I was at the University of Reading for two terms this academic year and as great as a uni it was, it wasn't for me. I think when it comes down to it the thing with uni isn't necessarily that you're in a good uni by its reputation but rather that the course you are doing is right for you. The course at London Met is exactly what I was after and thats the main thing and I'm really looking forward to it.

Thanks for this review, its great! x
Libeskind Graduate Centre
London Metropolitan University
London
I have visited this university (I didn't apply though and I was never going to, it was a school outing - visit different types of universities etc.) and if it is for you then go for it, but I didn't find it to be very nice and not just the academic side of things.

However, good luck with everything.

Elizabeth
Hi,

I am starting the same course as you this year and was wondering have you got any tips on what what to expect and how to get the most out of it?

The course I am doing is Aviation Management at the Moorgate campus.

Are the classes for this faculty big?

Any advice or help would be grateful
Reply 4
Facebook: LMU (FdSc) Aviation Management & Operations
So from reading on that facebook page I am guessing all the aviation courses share lectures? I am right in assuming that? :confused:
Thanks for this. :top:
Reply 7
ah this made me SO relieved huh!
and can anyone tell me anything abt the reputation [at least] of digital media section on london met???
Reply 8
Not sure about reputation but my friend got a media degree from London Met and is currently earning approx £45k a year. His previous work experience is being a waiting staff so it's really the degree that got him this job. Unless he's got some amazing reference...
does anyone have any information about the Human nutrition and dietetics course? (4 year undergraduate)

i doubt anyone will cause its pretty small choice.. as in not many people choose it :s

or just info about the north campus and their science facilities! i've heard they spent alot of money on the super lab :s
London met uni is the worst university ever. Do not go to study there. The teachers only care about getting paid, not the welfare of their students and most of the teachers are ****ed up and corrupt - like one was jailed last year for helping a drug gang and another one sexually abused women whilst he was undercover police officer. It's ridiculous and am sure there's many more. They never help or support you at all. They barely answer emails. 3 years of **** and it's a shame but my university years have been wasted and I didn't get the full experience.
Reply 11
Hi is there anyone studying fashion marketing and journalism this year ? Please let me know x
Reply 12
Agreed dude.. but some things are a complete joke.. like mitigsting circumstances.. i had man flu and was in bed so sent my assignment to my teacher and sent my apologies and explained the situation.. some modules use an outdated method of submitting in the papers to the hub which in this case is what happened.. my teacher stated she could not accept it and I had to go through mitigating circumstances.. i explained the situation and they said unless you have some proof then I cant do anything.. i went to ser my doctor to talk to her about it and obviously by that time i was better and I couldn't back date my illness.. i explained to my university this was my first time in this situation and I wasn't aware of what to do and they also rejected the appeal.. ive also had problem contacting my personal academic advisor on more than one occasion I have sent an email to my advisor and each time they haven't got back to me.. i could go on for quite a while talking about the things that have pissed me off about london met, including the bad facilities and lack of good classrooms, the best part of the whole building is the newly developed teachers offices, what ever happened to putting your customers first.. i'm only providing my views on the university, the teaching here is good and a part of the university which deserves more credit..
Original post by brennand1
I've been reading on this forum for over a year, but this is the first time I am actually starting a thread. I think it is time to set the record straight on London Metropolitan University from someone that studies there! Frankly, some of the rubbish that gets spouted on this forum is absolutely ridiculous. I have just finished my first year studying Aviation Management at Moorgate.

Teaching

Pretty good. Teachers have bags full of relevant experience and enthusiasm. Overall though, I have had better in college. The exception is one visiting lecturer who has been fantastic. Absolutely top drawer. Superbly organised, simple presentations with working diagrams. He also takes it personally when the class as a whole for one part of the module has done poorly on something.

Facilities

Not the best, but adequate. The city campus is located right in the middle of the financial district. At the Tower Building there is a working aircraft simulator (Beechcraft King Air B200), although whether or not that will still be there in October remains to be seen with the universities' financial problems. Some of the buildings seem quiet tired on the inside; this is unlikely to improve due to finance.

Although there has been some investment in new equipemtn, some of the computers are painfully slow. This could be the norm in most unis though?

The library is well stocked with decent amounts of useful text. Bloomberg is also available for banking/finance students.

Student Experience

Non-existant from what I've seen. Don't get involved in it to be honest.

Accomodation

Not applicable for me. Commute every day. Mostly a commuter university with most students coming from suburbs and surrounding towns.

Perception

Whilst the protracted dispute with the previous management was going on, there was real fear from the students and staff that they would be blacklisted because of London Met. My course is probably the highest in the university; no other course had higher UCAS requirements. With only a few exceptions, the students in my class are not just going there to stay out of work and to improve government employment figures, they have a real passion and a desire to do well.

The new regime that have taken over seem pretty good, although there still is a long, long way to go. I went to an open day at the new VCs previous university. He seems exactly what this university needs, someone that cares for the student! The first of his changes has been to include the uni in newspaper league tables from next year.

Would I recommend it?

To people considering this university: don't listen to the morons and WUMs on this messageboard that have never set foot in the university. Yes, the uni caters for a particular niche of taking on students from disadvantaged backgrounds, but give it a chance!

At times I felt why did I pick this university?! How do I transfer!? However as the months wore on, it definitely got better. My department has been excellent anyway. Obviously I cannot say for the other departments.

Hi there,

Thanks for the great and honest review. I am currently a student here in my final year and I do agree with most of what you said and that there can be a lot of negative comments surrounding the university but actually being a student here I have enjoyed my time and got a good amount of support and help from my peers and staff! Lots of great opportunities.

Thanks again,
Kyle
Reply 14
Just started to study at London Met BA Accounting n Finance. The Uni has a diversified culture and i believe at it all depends on the individual to learn not the Professors or Lecturers, so really no one is to blame.
The Lecturers are well trained, well versed and know they area of subject so its quite unfair to think that the Lecturers should be responsible for student welfare. Their job is to teach deliver lectures and the students job is to listen carefully and do home study. If students are drunk and partying so its not the Lecturers to blame, so thats out of the window.
secondly the building is the same old like all the rest of Britain's institutions. quite nice.
The students are same as they would be in any average class uni. But there are brilliant ones as well.
I visited Cambridge and Oxford and the main difference there is that the students who get in are already brilliant so that whats creating a affect and every one thinks London Met is not the right place.
I might not get the top job as a Cambridge student as I'm not that brilliant my self, but thank London Met to give me a chance to study and become successful in the society and in my life.
So guys n gals stop complaining about the staff.
If not better than top 5 uni's they are still great and ethical.
I was in london metropolitan university and I really don't recommend this university to anyone.
Worst teachers and literally no organisations.
Tutors never reply to your mails, barely help you, and don't give a **** about what you are doing .

don't make the mistake of applying in london met because trust me, you will regret it BIG TIME.
and not to forget, tutors aren't even specialized in what they are teaching

woooooooorst university it must close its door ASAP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Original post by lora marie
and not to forget, tutors aren't even specialized in what they are teaching

woooooooorst university it must close its door ASAP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So you know all of them?
Did they they give you the exclamation marks?
Original post by mominnz
Just started to study at London Met BA Accounting n Finance. The Uni has a diversified culture and i believe at it all depends on the individual to learn not the Professors or Lecturers, so really no one is to blame.
The Lecturers are well trained, well versed and know they area of subject so its quite unfair to think that the Lecturers should be responsible for student welfare. Their job is to teach deliver lectures and the students job is to listen carefully and do home study. If students are drunk and partying so its not the Lecturers to blame, so thats out of the window.
secondly the building is the same old like all the rest of Britain's institutions. quite nice.
The students are same as they would be in any average class uni. But there are brilliant ones as well.
I visited Cambridge and Oxford and the main difference there is that the students who get in are already brilliant so that whats creating a affect and every one thinks London Met is not the right place.
I might not get the top job as a Cambridge student as I'm not that brilliant my self, but thank London Met to give me a chance to study and become successful in the society and in my life.
So guys n gals stop complaining about the staff.
If not better than top 5 uni's they are still great and ethical.

Hi there,
I am glad you are having a good experience at London Met. Just like me you are probably based in the Moorgate campus? Which is a beautiful building and in an excellent location like all London Met campuses.
Thanks for the review and let us know if you have any questions or need any advice.
Kyle :smile:
What about a PGCE in Science at the LMU? I have heard the best about the science mentor, but I am worried regarding the bureaucratic parts and the organization. Is anybody here that is doing/did a PGCE at the LMU?

Quick Reply