The Student Room Group

What To Wear For Birthday Meal?

Its my birthday soon, in about a month so I'm thinking a bit early lol but I was just wondering what you would wear for a meal for your birthday. I never go out for meals so I have no idea what to wear, I don't want to look overdressed or underdressed! I suppose I'm looking for a 'safe' choice of outfit. I'm a size 10, 5 foot 3 and have big-ish boobs if that helps for outfit ideas. Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Little black dress never goes wrong :smile:
Reply 2
I do like little black dresses but would that maybe be a bit overdressed?
Reply 3
Naaah, LBD, and maybe a cardie to amke it less dressy. silver shoes and jeweleryyy
Reply 4
a pretty dress will do fine. you could try florals instead of black.
Reply 5
There some really pretty dresses in miss selfridge I've just seen on the website, theres some that are black with floral patterns on, I'll have to go shopping and try a few bits on.
Reply 6
For a meal, there's no chance I'd wear a dress (although i guess it depends on what type of restaurant you are going to), I'd just wear nice jeans and a trendy top. What kind of restaurant is it?
Reply 7
I haven't decided where to go yet but somewhere nice but not too posh I think lol.
I recommend visiting the River Island website: http://xml.riverisland.com/flash/content.php

Or visiting a store - it has absolutely every level of dressiness! :smile: (it is my Mecca)
Reply 9
skirt and top...maybe with a jacket

black dress

depends on where its posh or just smart casual really.
Reply 10
you can never go wrong with the little black dress and silver accessories as many have said. you can always wear that dress again and again too.
warehouse have a really cute flippy black jersey dress with little roses on it
that would be the perfect smart and yet not too dressy look
it'd look lovely with black opaques and a little necklace
http://www.warehouse.co.uk/fcp/product/-/DRESSES/DITSY-1/2-SLEEVE-DRESS/6134
Reply 12
A patterned wrap dress would look nice :smile:
Either a little black dress - maybe something with a bit of detail to make it look a bit younger/less formal. Warehouse had a lovely black shift-style dress with sort of ruffles at the bottom and a thin ribbon/bow on the bust line. Looked gorgeous on my friend who is a similar shape to you - 5'4, size 10 with big boobs.

Or if you want to go less formal, then some smart dark jeans and a dressy halter top? Something like this maybe..http://www.asos.com/Sarah-Harding-Girls-Aloud/Asos/Ruffle-Satin-Halter/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=194334&cid=4169&clr=Black&sh=0&Rf-100=Evening%20Tops with heels and cute jewellery.
Reply 14
prettyblueeyes
Either a little black dress - maybe something with a bit of detail to make it look a bit younger/less formal. Warehouse had a lovely black shift-style dress with sort of ruffles at the bottom and a thin ribbon/bow on the bust line. Looked gorgeous on my friend who is a similar shape to you - 5'4, size 10 with big boobs.

I think I might of tried on that dress in warehouse! It was lovely on aswell but I'm still looking round. Asos had some really nice stuff too, forgot about that site, thanks.
I'd suggest a midi length simple dress with nice earrings and a bold necklace or I'd suggest a midi skirt or a long skirt with a slit and a pretty crop top
Reply 16
If you're planning on eating a lot, peplum dresses are brilliant. I have a black, slightly stretchy one from Miss Selfridge which is my ultimate going-out-to-dinner dress since the peplum hides everything and you still look amazing.
Reply 17
Original post by Emilydaveyx
I'd suggest a midi length simple dress with nice earrings and a bold necklace or I'd suggest a midi skirt or a long skirt with a slit and a pretty crop top

This thread is 5 years old...I think OP already had her birthday.
Reply 18
I think that you should wear a purple puffy dress and black heels (jewellery earrings) p.s i would not wear a padded bra as you said your boobs are fairly big
Reply 19
I think you should wear a purple dress and black heels and a bit of jewellery (p.s you should not wear a padded bra as you said your boobs are fairly big

Quick Reply

Latest