The Student Room Group

how to persuade your parents to let you sleep over...

at a guy's house?

he lives 200 miles away form me, so fair enough, i would have to stay over at least one night. he's teetotal, doesn't smoke, is intelligent, trustowrthy and nice. his mum's a librarian and his dad's a barrister. not exactly dodgy, eh?

i am old enough (nearly 18) to get around myself, and i'm going to uni in october, so how do i persuade my parents to let me go to his, on my own? his parents and sister will be there.

my parents are victorian and prudish, as they have only two daughters - my dad especially is bad like that.

help????

thx
Reply 1
to be honest, you need to tell them exactly what you've said there- tell them all the good things about him

be honest, maybe get your parents and his parents to talk on the phone first and agree what is going to happen - that should be good:smile:

hope it helps
Open your eyes as much as possible and look Daddy in the eye and say:

If you don't trust him, don't you trust ME, daddy?
Reply 3
This may seem like an odd question but if he lives 200 miles away and you're not at uni then how do you know him?
Reply 4
Have your parents met him yet?
if you think they defo won't agree to it then say your his sisters friend and stoppng over for her...
Reply 6
Bekaboo
This may seem like an odd question but if he lives 200 miles away and you're not at uni then how do you know him?

i met him at Oxford uni, incidentally:smile: corpus christi college in interview time - we shared accomodation together:smile:
Reply 7
Titch89
Have your parents met him yet?

no lol, the most theyve heard of hi is that i phone him quite often:s-smilie:
As long as you're sure you know the guy as well as you think you do and you genuinely trust him. One of my friends had a particularly bad experience staying over at an apparently very good friend of hers. Being 200miles from home and desperately needing to get back isn't a great position to be in.
If possible, get him to stay at yours first. Let your parents meet him, make sure he's a model version of the "youth of today" :p:

Alternatively, the white lie about going to see a girl (my parents are similar to yours, but were always funny about me sleeping at a guy's house).

Also, if you do tell the truth, and ask them if you can stay at his, mention all that you said in your first post, plus the fact that he's obviously a hard worker (and an Oxford applicant!!). That should go down well :smile:
Reply 10
tell them he's gay.
Haha my version would be going out one night, texting mom to tell her I wouldn't be home until the next day, and doing it anyway...

She was OK with whatever I did as long as I told her where I was :P

As for you...ask nicely? On Mother's Day? Big him up :smile:
Invite him to stay at yours first, so they can meet him?
Or if they won't let you stay in his house, say you'll stay alone in a hotel?:s-smilie:
Reply 13
I wouldn't want any potential schoolgirl daughter of mine sleeping over at the house of some man I'd never met before either.

Have him over, either to stay in a separate room, or preferably just for a day.
Reply 14
I was hoping that we were going to find out that you'd met him on the internet.
Reply 15
ask them outright and be honest about everything.
maybe let your parents talk to one another about it?
L i b
I wouldn't want any potential schoolgirl daughter of mine sleeping over at the house of some man I'd never met before either.

His parents are going to be there, it's not exactly going to be a ****fest. Some parents just need to cut the umbilical cord.
Reply 17
angie:nofrills
I was hoping that we were going to find out that you'd met him on the internet.

haha, yeah that would be a straight no....i suppose he should come over first - thanks guys:smile:
your parents are only looking out for you! Its only because they care.

Let them meet him first, then if they decide he is ok then fine. If they don't like him for whatever reason, your best bet would be to trust them.

As I have found out - parents are often right.

Latest

Trending

Trending