The Student Room Group

Where am i going wrong?

I've filled out several application forms, and have got nowhere. I really don't understand why. Could anybody possibly have a look at my answers, notably for John Lewis and see where i'm going wrong.
Reply 1
Put your answers here and i'll have a look.
Do you include CV's and past experience/referees too? cuz that could be one of the problems.
But some of the multiple choice etc style questions on application forms can be tricky.. especially if there are two answers that are 'correct'.
Reply 2
Tommyjw
Put your answers here and i'll have a look.
Do you include CV's and past experience/referees too? cuz that could be one of the problems.
But some of the multiple choice etc style questions on application forms can be tricky.. especially if there are two answers that are 'correct'.

Describe how you view John Lewis as an employer
John Lewis eptimizes equality within a business. The term 'partner' rather than 'employees' show how highly John Lewis value their customers and their feelings. Also, John Lewis is an establishment which is growing day by day, and is extremely keen on ensuring that their 'partners' reap the rewards.Moreover; the laid back approach entices me to John Lewis; because the casual attire worn by the staff suggests that employers ensure that the partners are comfortable and happy; during their working hours. John Lewis's unique approach of making each employee a 'partner' ensures that everybody feels valued and has a role to play in the success of John Lewis as a company. It also promotes honesty amongst the workforce, as John Lewis has entrusted the future of the company in all the 'partners' hands.

Describe what customer service means to you as a provider or as a customer.

Customer service is not only about 'ensuring that the needs of the public are met' It is about providing an enviroment which has warmth and love, to allow the public to feel at ease, when in the presence of John Lewis. Personally, i feel that customer service can be the most important aspect of a flourishing partnership, it erases any possibliity of alienating the public, and damaging the success of John Lewis. Customer service is something that John Lewis excels at. On my frequent visits to the store, partners are always willing to go the extra mile to provide you with the item that you need and that is truly refreshing.

Please provide examples of when you have:
- Taken responsibility for the business you worked for.
- Built working relationships based on honesty, respect and encouragement.
- Taken opportunities to develop yourself both inside and outside of work.

During my work experience at Peacocks, i would often go the extra mile in order to satisfy customer's needs. On one occasion, an elderly lady, was shopping for a suitable blouse,but could not find one in her size. I instantly spotted that she was distressed,and opted to query her on it. Many assistants would have merely replied with 'sorry we are out of stock'. However, i used my initiative, and immediately went to the stock room and spent approximately 5 minutes trying to track down this particular item.

After some perseverance i was fortunate enough to find one in the lady's size. It may well have been time-consuming. However, the smile on her face and the appreciation that was shown made it more than worthwhile. This emphasises why customer service is so important. Bringing a smile to a customer's face is worth all the hassle in the end.

Please provide examples of when you have worked as part of a team, and give details
of your contribution to that team.

During my younger days at secondary school, i was relatively 'wild'. However, in Year 11 i decided that it was time to improve, as it was my future at stake. Initally my teachers and peers didn't take me seriously, however with perservance they realised that i was a reformed character who cared about his education. This proved to me that if you are prepared to work hard, support will soon follow.

To develop myself as a indvidual, i have regularly mentoreed young childeren in the local area, This was extremely humbling,and showed that even the most troublesome of kids just want to be cherished. This is similar to John Lewis, as all customers want to be valued, which is why customer service is so vital and must be done to the best of my abillity.

During my Under 14s cup final, me and my team mates found ourselves trailing the opposition by 2 goals. As captain, i took it upon myself to provide the necessary leadership and words of wisdom. After my effective pep talk,there was a dramatic improvement in our fortunes. After the team talk, we started playing as a team,rather than as individuals. Players were now helping each other out,instead of seeking the glory for themselves only.

My words of encouragement, ensured that each member of the team had a role to play and were all valuable to the team. It provided us with a boost, and ensured that there were no unhelpful remarks,whenever a pass was misplaced or an error occurred. We went on to win 4-3, which highlighted that teamwork is the key to success. This also created a family like atmosphere, we were all aiming for the same goal, and collectively we were able to achieve it.

there anything else you would like to tell us about yourself which you think
demonstrates your suitability for our business?

I am extremely eager to work for John Lewis,because, it is an establishment which is growing day by day. I feel that i have the credentials to succeed at John Lewis. I'm hardworking,polite&helpful. These are all essential characteristics for an aspiring Sales Assistant and i have them in abundance .I also have experience with dealing with people, this has provided me with excellent customer service skills and enables me to build up a rapport with potential customers,which is vital to the success of any business. I thrive in fast-paced enviroment, i'm not one to shirk away from responsiblity, and there isn't many industries which are as busy as retail. I'm also very outgoing and enthusiastic which makes me extremely approachable to the public. I also couldn't think

On the JL one there isn't no CV upload or previous experience? so i can't see what i can do.
Reply 3
You seem to be milking the 'partner' thing in the first bit.. and it seems like you've over worked it and stuff, but its still good :P
Customer service is fine, kinda stuff i've been told by employers to put.

For the taken responsbility bit, its a good example, just make sure you put something about how treating a customer well means they will be a repeat customer and come back and tell others etc.

I dont really like the first paragraph about your younger days, telling them you "used" be to be wild and have gotten better isnt as good as simply saying you've always been good.. if you get me? :smile:

Last bit, you said "growing day by day" twice, they will notice that.

All in all, i think its pretty good, it could do with a bit of work to fully put across just what skills + experience you have gained from the things you have done, but your just going to have to put it down to bad luck im afraid (N)
Reply 4
Tommyjw
You seem to be milking the 'partner' thing in the first bit.. and it seems like you've over worked it and stuff, but its still good :P
Customer service is fine, kinda stuff i've been told by employers to put.

For the taken responsbility bit, its a good example, just make sure you put something about how treating a customer well means they will be a repeat customer and come back and tell others etc.

I dont really like the first paragraph about your younger days, telling them you "used" be to be wild and have gotten better isnt as good as simply saying you've always been good.. if you get me? :smile:

Last bit, you said "growing day by day" twice, they will notice that.

All in all, i think its pretty good, it could do with a bit of work to fully put across just what skills + experience you have gained from the things you have done, but your just going to have to put it down to bad luck im afraid (N)

Oh thanks:p: I'll bear it in mind when i re-apply.
Reply 5
Perhaps this reply is a bit late to help you, but to anyone else using this thread to help them I have this piece of advice:
GRAMMAR AND SPELLING! Many employers would see 'epitimizes' in the third or fourth word in this application form and dismiss it purely on that basis! It's the easiest excuse that employers can give when filtering through hundreds of applications, and the easiest to rectify. Just type everything out in a Word doc first and do a spell check, and then re-read just to make sure!
I learnt this the hard way, after handing out about a thousand CVs, someone pointed out a small spelling error that would have meant people taking one look at it and throwing it in the bin!

GRAMMAR AND SPELLING

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending