The Student Room Group

UEA Medicine with a foundation year A104 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Applicant Number: 100000***

Dear **** ****

Thank you for your application to the MB/BS Medicine with a Foundation Year (A104) degree programme with the Norwich Medical School at the University of East Anglia. Your application has been received by the Admissions Office and will now be processed as below:

Primary Screening:

When we receive your UCAS application it will firstly undergo an ‘academic screening'. This means we will check to make sure that you have (or are predicted to have) the academic qualifications that we required in order to be considered for this course. As part of this process, we also check that the UKCAT test has been taken in 2011.

Contextual Criteria:

If you meet the Academic requirements and have taken the UKCAT test, you will be sent (during December 2011) a social criteria questionnaire for your parent(s)/legal guardian(s) to complete, sign and return. You will also be asked to provide proof of the relevant social criteria.

Secondary Screening:

Candidates who pass the academic and social criteria screening will have their personal statement and reference sections of the UCAS application form screened for suitability. All academic members of staff involved with the teaching of the MB/BS with a Foundation Year programme take part in this process. Each form is screened independently by two academics. The evidence we are looking for is listed on our website at:

http://www.uea.ac.uk/med/course/6mbms/application

All sections are marked and the scores for each candidate are then standardised and ranked hierarchically for short-listing for interview.

Interview:

The top 96 applicants will be invited for interview. The majority of interviews will take place in March 2012.

Due to the volume of applications received, the above outlined process will take some time to carry out. We ask for your patience in allowing us to complete the necessary screening procedures for all applicants. We envisage that candidates who are short-listed for interview will be hearing from us mid- February 2012.

Please be assured that the Admissions Office has received your application and it is being thoroughly considered. Where possible we ask that candidates refrain from contacting the Admissions Office to check the progression of their application, as no further information can be given out during the screening process and your call will take time to deal with which could otherwise have been applied to the processing of applications.

If any of your personal details change at any point of the application process, it is important to inform our office by e-mail as soon as possible. You should also make UCAS aware of any changes.

Please note: The Admissions Office cannot accept any additional references or C.Vs from candidates.

**** just got serious. :eek:
Reply 21
aw, I applied for this and I reallly want to go, but my teachers only predicted me ABC so I guess I'm getting kicked off in the first screening.
Reply 22
Original post by millypie
aw, I applied for this and I reallly want to go, but my teachers only predicted me ABC so I guess I'm getting kicked off in the first screening.

Where else did you apply?
Original post by Besakt
Where else did you apply?

how many offers do they give out?
Reply 24
Original post by IamBeowulf
how many offers do they give out?

Not sure the only statistics I found is for the A100 course 2011 entry where there were 2200 applicants.
http://www.uea.ac.uk/med/faq/underGradFAQ
Original post by Besakt
Not sure the only statistics I found is for the A100 course 2011 entry where there were 2200 applicants.
http://www.uea.ac.uk/med/faq/underGradFAQ

well I did find out they interview 96 applicants, and there are 30 places so they should give offers to 1:3 people :dontknow:
Reply 26
well I did find out they interview 96 applicants, and there are 30 places so they should give offers to 1:3 people :dontknow:

Do you know anything about the number of applicants?
Original post by Besakt
Do you know anything about the number of applicants?

unfortunately no :frown:
i assume it would be similar to soton (which had roughly 600)
Reply 28
unfortunately no :frown:
i assume it would be similar to soton (which had roughly 600)

Soton had a 1:14 ratio for applicants to place. And that was in 2006 I would have expected to continue rising like it did from 2002 to 2006 (43 applicants in 2002 to 433 applicants in 2006).
Reply 29
If you are predicted AAA you are not eligible. And UEA will forward your application to the 5 year course.
Reply 30
Original post by Besakt
If you are predicted AAA you are not eligible. And UEA will forward your application to the 5 year course.

Where did you get this information from?
Reply 31
Original post by LRod
Where did you get this information from?

I got an email. I applied to the foundation course assuming my predicted grades were AAB but it turns out the chemistry teacher was impressed by my work ethic so they changed the predicted grades from AAB to AAA without telling me and sent off my application.
I got an email on friday saying my predicted grades are AAA and it means I cannot apply to the A104 so instead of rejecting me they will forward my application to A100 at UEA. Only problem is track hasn't updated from A104 to A100 yet so I will need to ring UEA tomorrow and sort it out.
Reply 32
I applied for this course, Scottish Student on a Gap Year !

It was kind of my wild card cos i dunno if i will meet the contextual requirements, but i wanted to apply for 4 medicine/premed courses this year so i just went for it haha fingers crossed, and good luck to everyone !
Reply 33
In the email it says the number of interviews they will give is 96. More 20-30 more than last year. Do you think they've got more places this year?
Original post by Medican
In the email it says the number of interviews they will give is 96. More 20-30 more than last year. Do you think they've got more places this year?

how many places do they have?/did they have last year and how many interviews
Reply 35
how many places do they have?/did they have last year and how many interviews

Don't know. Don't get caught up in the numbers too much. Just focus on your exams, as someone said before i could really distract you and you could end up flopping your A levels. This is even worse if you have no med offers so you won't even be able to apply next year as a reapplicant. :smile:

Good luck. :smile:
Reply 36
Original post by AmeliaRea
Do they accept AS resits? I did AS subjects last year, and although I didn't fail anything, due to housing situations and other things, I didn't get close to the grades I would have liked, so ended up retaking the entire year, with a change of subjects. Does this ruin my chances at getting on a Medicine course entirely?

Hey, i have a similar problem with my Scottish Highers, at the time i had stuff going on and i didn't get the grades i wanted. My advice would be to phone/email admissions up and down UK and find out about whether or not they take adverse circumstances into consideration or any premed courses like this there are on offer. Goodluck and remember if your heart is set on medicine then, it might just have to be the post grad route but in my opinion that extra 3/4 years of knowledge can't be a disadvantage for a doctor :biggrin:
Reply 37
Wow. The first post on this this page was from over a month ago and the last post was a day ago. Talk about slow thread. :biggrin:

I think this thread should just be merged with the a100 thread. :P

UEA is defo my first choice. Anyone else agree? :redface:
Reply 38
Original post by Medican
Wow. The first post on this this page was from over a month ago and the last post was a day ago. Talk about slow thread. :biggrin:

I think this thread should just be merged with the a100 thread. :P

UEA is defo my first choice. Anyone else agree? :redface:

yeah i agreee asweelll...
has anyone recieved any other informations on when will the interview dates be sent out..???? or has anyone recived an interview yet...???
Reply 39
Original post by josjen05
yeah i agreee asweelll...
has anyone recieved any other informations on when will the interview dates be sent out..???? or has anyone recived an interview yet...???

Not til Feb/March unfortunately.

Quick Reply

Latest