The Student Room Group

POLL: Which country do you recommend I go to on my gap year?

This poll is closed

Gap Years > POLL: Which country do you recommend I go to on my gap year?

Malaysia 25%
Vietnam 37%
Philippines 14%
Singapore24%
Total votes: 112
I have decided that I am definitely going to Thailand first (Chang Mai where I will do some teaching and Krabi to have fun and explore).

I am then contemplating on another country to go to after that. I am choosing between:

Malaysia (Borneo - Sabah/Sarawak)

Vietnam

Philippines (either, Boracay Palawan or Bohol)

Singapore.

Please could you vote on the country you think I should go to after Thailand. Please note that I am not doing anything specific (eg I am not teaching, not working at an orphanage or anything like that at the second country).
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I went to Malaysia last year and it's absolutely beautiful! Malaysian Borneo was stunning and you cannot go there without visiting the orang-utans in Sankadan
Reply 2
Singapore is amazing! I love the diversity there.
You'll love the airport. It's huge. You need trains to go across it. Not to mention the swimming pool.

Be advised don't bring chewing gum there.
(edited 12 years ago)
Singapore seems a little small, I mean, it's just a city essentially. If you're working there sure, but to travel you can basically do everything in a week.
Reply 4
Original post by Callum828

Original post by Callum828
Singapore seems a little small, I mean, it's just a city essentially. If you're working there sure, but to travel you can basically do everything in a week.

City,Island,Country. Yeah but to fully immerse beyond the tourist mirage you have to spend at least a few months there. They have citites and towns like Little India and Little China, nice place.
Original post by Omida
City,Island,Country. Yeah but to fully immerse beyond the tourist mirage you have to spend at least a few months there. They have citites and towns like Little India and Little China, nice place.

I suppose. Though it's also crazy expensive compared to the others.
How come no one is voting for the Philippines.... it was possibly my favourite out of the 3 (although I really like all of them)!???
Reply 7
I ran out of things to do in Singapore in three days. It's a great city, but that's all it is, a city. You could have it as a nice stop over between Thailand and The Phillipines or after Malaysia.
Reply 8
Phillipines is more original imo.

Everyone seems to be for Thailand/vietnam these days and I think phillipines would be a better experience than singapore
Reply 9
P.S, I've never met anyone who's been to The Philippines and hasn't loved it.
Reply 10
Singapore is probably too urban. Malaysia sounds like the best choice to me!
Reply 11
Singapore is quite small and also very expensive.
Reply 12
Singapore seems like the best option out of those.

why not include other places such as Hong Kong, Seoul or Tokyo?
Reply 13
If I were you, I would certainly go to Vietnam. It's my dream country!
Reply 14
Dude, it's a gap year. Visit all four. Or you could do the whole of south-east Asia! Enjoy!
That is a really tough call. They are all good but Singapore is definitely the worst for a gap year (the culture is similar to western countries)
Reply 16
I have a friend who went to the Philippines on a gap year and never came home because she liked it so much. She's been there for three years, working at a children's home.
Original post by kat91s
I have a friend who went to the Philippines on a gap year and never came home because she liked it so much. She's been there for three years, working at a children's home.

Sorry to kind of steal this thread but I am wondering where abouts in the Philippines she went...?
Reply 18
Vietnam- You weren't there man!!
Reply 19
Original post by Hopsin rapper
Sorry to kind of steal this thread but I am wondering where abouts in the Philippines she went...?

Zambales.

But I don't know much more about it, sorry. ><

Another friend of mine is going travelling in the Philippines next month so it seems there is at least a lot to see there!

Quick Reply

Latest